Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1997 TOYOTA LANDCRUISER AMAZON 4x4 VX DIESEL MANUAL TD

Appointment booked, wish me luck guys - the long wait might be over:dance:. The inside looks a bit rough but I suppose carpets could be replaced. Any help with what to look for would be appreciated - especially when its been towing.

Shame, that's just the sort of thing I am after. If it was closer and I'd spotted it sooner, it might not be there now. Ha ha.

Best of luck. Hope it checks out and it's actually still for sale when you get there!

Towing? Forget it. These things are monstrous. Just have a good look underneath for any rot (road salt) and give the gear box a good work out. Especially when changing down into 2nd. If it checks out, but you don't fancy it, let me know!

Chris

Chris the main question is "Do you have a LC at the moment". If the answer is yes id have to be firm - sorry you have to leave this one for me:eusa-naughty:. On a serious note I hope this is the one for me. Sounds like this is the most preferred spec. Will let you know.

Course I have. But that has nothing to do with it. It's an auction and I am on my way to Scotland as we speak.

Actually, I really want a blue one. Oddly. The red paint tends to fade a bit.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Was expecting that Chris I am actually multi tasking - test driving it and sending you the message at the same time............

Just pulling in to Edinburgh noooooooooooooooooo, thunk, crash, scrsssssssssshhhhhhhhhhh

That does look nice - those "Amazon" 80s are the dogs aren't they? :icon-cool:

what does it drive like, how crusty is it underneath, any signs of oil where it shouldn't be, HPI it and check the VIN matches the paperwork, those are the main things I think. If it seems good make him an offer, if you don't someone else will and if the answer is no there's still the auction.

Chasie number should be inbetween drivers front wheel and the bulkhead.(on the chasie ) As Jon stated the above things. engine ie breathing excessive smoke (blue) rad pressurising coolent no water. Thats normal car buying stuff though.

is rust under the rear window a big problem? might be wrong but it looks like a few bubbles on right hand side

It's common due to a weld that is behind there. Yes it is a problem but not one that will stop it driving. However, unusual in a car of that age. I wouldn't expect it to be bubbling yet. Mine has just gone through in a small hole and it's a 94.

Chris

The rust on the rear windows is a issue with the 80s and yes it has rust where you have seen it. Dont let that put you off though. Mint second hand tailgates can be found but not loads around. They also rust top of the window screen,behind the rear wheels at the bottom of the rear quarters and at the back of the sills. as Jon mentioned earlier look for any crustyness.
The rear window is open on the photos,could be condensating inside due to capets wet etc or may just been valleted.

I ass u me 'd the open windows means it stinks, maybe of fuel from the generator mentioned, maybe of dog? A bit of surface rust underneath is normal, what you don't want is rust flakes in any great abundance. Maybe a little bit on the more exposed bits like rear axle shock mounts on the rear axle which hang down and must get a lot of chemical abuse.

Back