Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1kzte Engine Rebuild---- Bigger Turbo?

Beau

Country Flag
guyana
Hi guys, I have a 1kzte engine sitting in my garage for the past year and I am know beggining to strip the engine down and hopefully rebuild it.

1st thing was the head wasnt cracked ,FEW!

Anyway I am thinking of baically modifying the engine for better performance overall with out damging the life span on the engine or putting more strain on it.

I have seen some of these engines fitted with bigger turbos which obviuosly offer better torque and better performance. Does anyone know what turbos would be suitable for this engine. I will take it I will need one which will spool up at very low revs. Im thinking of a turbo off a skip truck or something along those lines. I know I will need to obviously do some mods to the exhaust manifold ect but the engines out so that will be easy. The hard part i finding the appropriate turbo which will do the job.

After stripping down the engine, the head is in very good condition along with the block, pistons ect. I think it may be a good idea to replace the rings and the valves so that I get 100% power when I am done. The camshaft is in very good condition, not too sure if it worth changing the bearings though?

If anyone else has ever done an engine rebuild I would appreciate any advice and help.

Thank you.

As far as the turbo issue is concerned. Kzj90 on here has done more than i think anyone else when it comes to improving the 1kzte in terms of performance. There is quite a substantial thread relating to just this topic.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9182

What is the face of the block like ??

I think that a lot of the problems we see are caused by the head gaskets leaking and that can etch the block and head faces.

If it was me, I'd get the block and head re-faced (just lightly skimmed to remove any low spots). Then use a genuine Toyota gasket with a very light application of jointing compound on both sides of the gasket.

Regarding performance increases - There are threads from people who have fitted intercoolers - that seems to add a couple of HP.

I would also fit the 'cooler' 76 deg thermostat if you are going to be working the engine harder. The 1KZ-TEs can get very hot at the top before the standard thermostat opens.

Bob.

BobMurphy said:
What is the face of the block like ??

I think that a lot of the problems we see are caused by the head gaskets leaking and that can etch the block and head faces.

If it was me, I'd get the block and head re-faced (just lightly skimmed to remove any low spots). Then use a genuine Toyota gasket with a very light application of jointing compound on both sides of the gasket.

Regarding performance increases - There are threads from people who have fitted intercoolers - that seems to add a couple of HP.

I would also fit the 'cooler' 76 deg thermostat if you are going to be working the engine harder. The 1KZ-TEs can get very hot at the top before the standard thermostat opens.

Bob.

I would say that the Block is in very good condition. I have looked at the head closely and there are no sighs of any imperfection on the head at all. There is basically no sign of water entering the head or the Block.

Yes, I would be using the lower 76 deg thermostat with the new engine and will be having a aftermarket intercooler in front of the ac rad.

Back