Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

2" suspension lift

Has anyone here done a body lift? I reckon at the cost of lift ki,t that a 2" body lift might be more economical. A 2" lift doesnt really give masses of extra articulation for the cost in an 80 series but in a LR for example its so cheap it is worth doing.I'm thinking to try a body lift first and then if that doesn't appeal then would add springs later.

I've done a BL on my 80. Got little to do with articulation or suspension in general though. It can give you a little more arch clearance, but you'd only get near your arches if you'd already done a SL and fitted huge rubber. It is a handy mod to do if you like working on your truck. All the tight little clearances on the 80 - such as getting to the top shock mounts and the top bell housing bolts are then dead easy. I wish I had done this first, then my sliders could have moved up and so could my winch bumper. Which is why I am now going to make a new one. But I don't think I'd do a BL if that was all I was ever planning. There just wouldn't be a tangible benefit.

Chris

After measuring my suspension the pedders kit gives me 90mm of lift going by the lifted height given, plus the extra 20 mm spacers if I need them. It all looks original so has a bit of sag, a body lift would move the body but it'd still have its saggy 16 year old springs.

Done body lift in the past and was never straight forward, had things like wiring, brake lines, coolant hoses, bumpers etc to deal with

Which kit did you go for in the end and how accuret was what they claimed was the distance between the top wheel rim and the arch. as 90 mm is more than i would like to lift.mine. do you need the bushes and longer flexy brake lines?

Lifting a Cruiser is child's play. No cables or tubes need changing. 40mm body left better though. 50mm does start to run into levers touching in the centre console. Nowt a Dremmel won't fix, but it's extra work.

Chris

I went for the kit that would be 2inch, not got it fitted yet as want to paint the chassis first. If everything was brand new and standard it prob would be a 2 inch ish lift, I can't see I'll be changing brake hoses etc, that's going off having a look and the valuable info from other members here (info that's very much appreciated)

The quoted lifted height is 800mm rear and 790mm front iirc, mine is sat at 710mm rear and about 705mm front unloaded. When it's all fitted and driven to settle in I'll re measure, use flat bed wheel alignment ramp at work for taking measurements so will be reasonable accurate.
I'll def update on the forum about the kit, tbh the quality seems good.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The pedders kit is doing well, a nice firm ride but not harsh and performs well off road. Responds well to being loaded up with gear in the boot, if running empty feels a bit hard at the rear on bumpy roads. (Usually have tools etc in there)
Had some paint flake on the rear springs and a shock but looking at them they're covered in stone chips (as are my rock sliders) so can't hold it against them.
On twisty roads it handles rather well for such a big motor, do still have the anti roll bars fitted. I have fitted the 20mm spacers now which stopped some of the scrubbing at the rear I was getting at full flex, do have quite a big offset and there's not much room tucking a wheel into the arch. (Tyres stick out past the arches slightly)

I've had OME on mine (75mm lift) since 2007 and 130k km.

Can't fault it.

Yes, some stone chips on the shocks (I had stone guards fitted to the rears) but they're still yellow :thumbup:

The spring paint has flaked off in places, but it's had a fair bit of offroad and carried some weight too over the years.

I'd fit OME again, if what I've got ever failed. I never imagined it would last so long.

The lift cost £1,000 fitted Incl. castor bushes.

One very happy customer.

Back