Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

2"

j555fjr

just wondered if anyone has had any prices lately for a 2" lift? i was talking to one bloke today that quoted 1200 quid for shocks and springs to fit my 80. is this really where these prices are?

Hmmmm i'll be intrested in the answers as well.

It depends on what kit you are fitting. Does the price include fitting? If not then I would expect that to be a top of the range Old Man Emu kit.

I would think you're looking at £700-800 for a complete kit with damper and CC bushes thrown in. Maybe 10-20% more for OME and TJM to cover the branding and stickers :shifty: £1200 sounds like someone is having you on or offering fancier shocks or the fitment work is included. Phone around for a few quotes - West Coast and Julian Voelcker would be where I'd start.

the price i got was from a well known company and was for old mans emu, unfitted! think they wanted 300 for fitting it all. i thought this was way too much but im still looking around......

OME come in at just over £800 including VAT from the D44 online shop so something is not quite right with your prices. :? £900 if you include a steering damper and I cant imagine the sport shocks could account for the other 300 quid. As D44 are not regarded as a cheap im sure you could get a better price..

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Maybe the £1200 quote included other stuff, like adjustable panhards?

Have you had a quote from TBR for Old Man Emu suspension? As club members we get a 10% discount with them.

I have Old Man Emu on my 80 (see my signature line for the spec's) which I sourced from TBR, it was a couple of years ago and the vat was lower, but I seem to remember it being sub £700 for the springs, nitro charger shocks and a steering damper.

Have you done your research with regard to the pros and cons of the different kits, and how they'll suit your needs? I ask, as I'm very happy with my kit, but it is firm, and I would say that if you fit OME suspension to a standard 80 then it may be too hard for some peoples taste. If you plan on adding some weight to the 80 then that'll make the suspension work and it'll be a nice ride. Mine rides very well with a load on, and copes well with rough surfaces taken at speed. With no load and road tyres fitted, it corners extremely well!

If I was doing it again to an 80 that was staying fairly standard, I'd be tempted to try the Ironman kit. Many guys have these kits on here and are pretty happy with their performance, but a little less so with the durability of the paint finish.

Decisions, decisions, it's all part of the fun!

havnt had alot of time to shop round but i will at the weekend, ive been looking at the iron man kit and west coast have a ad in a mag from last month showing price at 390 plus vat, dont know if thats still right but if it is then its got to worth a look

I have the Ironman kit fitted and I find it extremely harsh. :thumbdown: I will go for OME next time. :thumbup:

Ecoman said:
I have the Ironman kit fitted and I find it extremely harsh. :thumbdown: I will go for OME next time. :thumbup:
Your post doesn't make sense - if you don't like harsh, why get OME next time :think:
Obviously matching the right load & spring for your truck and usage is quite important with whatever brand you choose. And so is tyre pressure :)

Matching the springs and shocks is very important too. IMO the OME's most are selling in the UK only work well with the higher spring rates and give a harsh, over damped ride on the softer springs. Could be the same is true of Ironman i.e. there are combinations of spring and shocks available that are not well matched.

I have the IM B set up and I love it. Loaded up for a trip or off road, it's a pleasure. It wafts on the motorway, flexes off road and take speed bumps like they aren't there.

Yes, the paint finish is 5h1t. Paint them with Japlac or something before you shove em on. The lower rubbers seem a bit crap too.

C

If your interested my JDM 80 has about a 3" lift & I wanted to put mine back to standard as mine is used mostly for towing just the occasional off road fun day, might be up for a swapsies etc. Bonus is you can try it out if you like! If you were wiling to contribute for the work part of it I could happily do it.

It has the longer shocks, bump stop spacers, springs etc, not sure if it has the castor bushes though.

PS: If anybody has some JDM 80 shocks with the electronic controllers I want a set

Give me a ring if its of interest

Looks like this
IMAG0678.jpg

Andrew Prince said:
Ecoman said:
Your post doesn't make sense - if you don't like harsh, why get OME next time :think:
Obviously matching the right load & spring for your truck and usage is quite important with whatever brand you choose. And so is tyre pressure :)

There wasn't any option given when the Ironman set up was purchased. The request was for a 2" lift but trying to keep the same ride quality as standard. The suspension kit etc was sent from West Coast Off Road and at no time did they ask what kit we would prefer.

I have used OME suspension kits before when I owned various Land Rovers and every time I fitted a kit it improved the ride quality no end. The ride became smoother and would take the harshness out of everyday road driving and would firm up when off road and keep the wheels firmly planted even in the roughest conditions. I have even converted from Procomp suspension to OME and even then it made a huge improvment to the ride quality. Why would this be any different for a Landcruiser?

If you buy a kit for the Hilux from TBR UK then they send you a form to fill in asking about mods, loads and types of use so they can customise the kit for your vehicle. Many people make the mistake, when ordering, of asking for a heavy duty suspension set up which is great for making the vehicle ride firmer and not sag as much with heavy loads or heavily kitted for a tour or expedition but it makes for a harsh standard daily driver.

If your OME set up is harsh then is it possible you have the wrong set up for your requirements?

Oh and yes I have experimented with tyre pressures but it makes no difference to the bone jarring ride when unladen. Maybe if the option had been given for a softer option then I would have no doubt that that would have been the way to go.

Also I will agree that the paint finish is crap on the Ironman shocks. ;)

i recently purchased ironman suspension from west coast and i am very impresed with it.I was going to go for a 2" kit but ended up buying a 4" kit insted.The guy i delt with was paul he quoted 390+vat for the 2" kit witch i thought was a spot on price and sumet like 130 to 150 to fit it carn't quite remember exactaly.i am also well impresed with my 4" kit :clap:

Ecoman, surely the logical and sensible thing to do is to talk to west coast and explain the issue rather than just writing it off and buying something which you really don't seem to need. It may be that you're on the stiffer springs, and you need the less stiff ones. Have a chat with them, I'm sure you'll be able to work it out with them.

mike54 said:
Ecoman, surely the logical and sensible thing to do is to talk to west coast and explain the issue rather than just writing it off and buying something which you really don't seem to need. It may be that you're on the stiffer springs, and you need the less stiff ones. Have a chat with them, I'm sure you'll be able to work it out with them.
Oh sorry you get me wrong mate. I'm not writing the Ironman kit off at all. Its probably the way I word things badly when I'm trying to make a point. What I should have said was I like the Ironman kit but from personal experience I don't rate the ride quality as high as the OME kit. I did say in my post that if the choice had been given for a softer Ironman option then no doubt that would have been the way to go. I'm not saying the kit in general is crap but I did agree the paint finish is very poor as the rust patches started on my steering damper within a month of getting it fitted by West Coast after my genuine one shat itself coming up the M6 on the way home from meeting another member in Shrewsbury.

I deal with West Coast all the time and I will continue to do so for as long as they are around. Paul and the team are a great bunch and full of help and advice whenever I need it. I even bought my 3G brake discs through West Coast as I wanted to give them my business rather than pay a few quid less by going to 3G direct. I have already made up a wish list for the 80 and once my Hilux is done I will be splashing out on a few more toys through them.

So why not talk to them about the ride quality and perhaps change the springs (you know there are three different degrees of stiffness for them, right? A, B and C? springs are cheap, a replacement OME kit is not.

Had Ironman B kit on the 80 and now on the 100, perfect both times :thumbup:

Back