Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

2006 Amazon transmission problem

Cruizer

Country Flag
zimbabwe
I'm a 'new kid on the block' on this forum. I need help please. I'm having a problem with the automatic transmission on my 2006 L/Cruiser Amazon. Every time I come to a stop, it takes a couple of seconds for the gears to engage again. This also happens after a sharp turn. There have been occasions when the gear does not go up further than 3rd. The only way out of that problem is to stop, switch off the engine, wait a couple of minutes then start and proceed.

The mileage on the vehicle is 140,000km. A couple of days ago, I booked the car in for a major service at one of our reputable local Toyota dealerships (I live in Harare, Zimbabwe). I had spoken about the above mentioned problem to the service attendant. On receiving the vehicle back today, I was told that the transmission fluid was changed, but the problem remained. I was told that the problem may get better once the new fluid 'reaches' all areas in the transfer box. If the problem didn't improve, I was told the vehicle transfer box would need a complete overhaul.

The problem has gotten a lot worse and is occurring a lot more often than before. In other words, the fluid change seems to have made the problem worse! Do I really need a full overhaul of the transfer box? I am of the opinion that the 'overhaul' suggestion by the dealership is the easiest way of them saying 'We haven't a clue what the problem is, so just get a complete overhaul done'! It will also no doubt be quite expensive.

I will be taking my car to another Toyota dealership tomorrow to get a second opinion, but would also appreciate any suggestions from this forum please. Thank you.

Thanks for your response uHu. There was a small leak before, which I was told by the same Toyota dealer didn't need intervention until the service was due. They had checked the oil level at that time and said it was fine. I went back to them this morning to confirm that the fluid level was ok after they had changed the oil when the car was serviced the day before yesterday. After checking, they confirmed it was ok. They had used the WS fluid.

The problem is still there. What is worrying me is that the problem has gotten a lot worse after the oil change. They also connected the car onto their computer and no fault code showed up. They have asked for the car back on Monday to check for pressures etc.

I'm a 'new kid on the block' on this forum. I need help please. I'm having a problem with the automatic transmission on my 2006 L/Cruiser Amazon. Every time I come to a stop, it takes a couple of seconds for the gears to engage again. This also happens after a sharp turn. There have been occasions when the gear does not go up further than 3rd. The only way out of that problem is to stop, switch off the engine, wait a couple of minutes then start and proceed.

The mileage on the vehicle is 140,000km. A couple of days ago, I booked the car in for a major service at one of our reputable local Toyota dealerships (I live in Harare, Zimbabwe). I had spoken about the above mentioned problem to the service attendant. On receiving the vehicle back today, I was told that the transmission fluid was changed, but the problem remained. I was told that the problem may get better once the new fluid 'reaches' all areas in the transfer box. If the problem didn't improve, I was told the vehicle transfer box would need a complete overhaul.

The problem has gotten a lot worse and is occurring a lot more often than before. In other words, the fluid change seems to have made the problem worse! Do I really need a full overhaul of the transfer box? I am of the opinion that the 'overhaul' suggestion by the dealership is the easiest way of them saying 'We haven't a clue what the problem is, so just get a complete overhaul done'! It will also no doubt be quite expensive.

I will be taking my car to another Toyota dealership tomorrow to get a second opinion, but would also appreciate any suggestions from this forum please. Thank you.
There is something fishy about the answer you got from the stealer. There is no connection between "Changing the transmission fluid" and "Reaching all corners of the TRANSfer box". The two boxes are not connected in that way. They are completely separate. The WS-fluid, which they confirmed having changed, has nothing to do with the transfer box. And "Fixing" the transfer box doesn't affect the operation of the auto-box in respect to the problems you describe.
Building on this, I wouldn't trust their checking of the fluid level. Ask them how they did it.
And what does it mean that they have "changed the transmission fluid"? Have they changed all the fluid with a flushing machine, or just drained the 2-3 litres you can get out, and filled up the same? Which btw is a common way of doing it.

The leak - where was it? Any connection with any radiator damage? (Thinking coolant pollution...)

Another possibility is the ECU. There is one ECU (out of ca 14) which controls the engine AND the auto-box. This ECU sits just under the bottom of the windscreen. Any leak (common after changing the windscreen) often affects the operation of this ECU because of dripping and corrosion.

Also, check that the gear-shift positions are not out of sync. Can be the result of the underbody hitting a rock or something, shifting the "power-pack" slightly in relation to the gear-shift-lever. Or just a loose adjuster on the connector rod (at the shift-lever end iirc).

Otherwise, both the autobox and the ecu are difficult to damage. They are normally rock solid for more than twice your milage. Only problem for the auto-box is pollutants in the fluid.

Last edited:
You have some great advise there. Come back and let us know how you get on :)

Thank you for the detailed response. It did help me approach the service centre equipped with some knowledge. The problem deteriorated rapidly after my last post.

1. Vehicle wouldn't go into 5th gear.
2. On reverse gear, the engine revs did not correspond to the movement of the vehicle (engine rev high, movement slow).
3. General gear changes seemed odd, as if gears were slipping.

It felt like there was no pressure in the gear box (if that makes sense). I gave the vehicle in for a proper inspection a week ago, but have been out of town. Just got back and will only be able to contact the service centre on Monday. Will let you know of the outcome. Thank you for your help.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Sounds like classic fluid low level in autobox. Hopefully!

Agreed.
Would be the typical result if someone checked the level by opening the overflow plug without the engine running. That would give a too low level, as much more of the fluid is in the sump whithout the engine running, and will therefore be drained through the overflow.

Back