Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

235's or 265's ??

Dieseldragon

Time to get rid of the skinny 215 tyres. I have bought some 16x7 steel wheels with ET +7.

So now it's time to order new boots. I'm going for an AT tyre, something like Cooper, but weighing up what width to go for.
Choices are between 235/85 or 265/75, both being virtually the same diameter. Will the 235 give a bit more mileage?

Last edited:
Got 265/75/16 cooper discovery2 a/t's on mine got to say very impressed with them and very quite on the road,I average about 20/25 mpg but mines an auto and it's very hilly here and only short drives if that helps buddy

Time to get rid of the skinny 215 tyres. I have bought some 16x7 steel wheels with ET +7.

So now it's time to order new boots. I'm going for an AT tyre, something like Cooper, but weighing up what width to go for.
Choices are between 235/85 or 265/75, both being virtually the same diameter. Will the 235 give a bit more mileage?

I've got a set of 5 BFG KM2 255 85 16 tyres for sale if you are interested.
http://www.landcruiserclub.net/foru...-For-sale-5-BFG-255-85-16-tyres-amp-Ally-Rims

Been looking at this myself lately and had more or less decided the 265/70 R16 tarmac tyres that came on Helen's truck wouldn't look to bad if they had an aggressive tread . Her truck has +2" Monroe suspension now but she doesn't want to go any higher so the debate i'm having is whether to go for 16x8 zero offset wheels or use spacers with the factory alloys to give a more solid looking stance .

Can we have some pics of your truck Sag please i would like to see the whole truck from the side to gauge proportions , and a look down the side of the truck to see how flush the tyres are to the guards of possible .

I have both 235 and 265.
235 are better on tarmac with my truck.
265 look better.
I'll try to find pics.

Morocco 235.jpg

Albania 265.jpg
Albania 265 front.jpg

90 with 255
DSCN1312-1000.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Been looking at this myself lately and had more or less decided the 265/70 R16 tarmac tyres that came on Helen's truck wouldn't look to bad if they had an aggressive tread . Her truck has +2" Monroe suspension now but she doesn't want to go any higher so the debate i'm having is whether to go for 16x8 zero offset wheels or use spacers with the factory alloys to give a more solid looking stance .

Can we have some pics of your truck Sag please i would like to see the whole truck from the side to gauge proportions , and a look down the side of the truck to see how flush the tyres are to the guards of possible .

Hi Shayne il try and get some photos for you tomorrow if that's ok just I've just got back from having my finger amputated and very sore at mo,should of been put under but decided on having it done awake so I could come home same day :eusa-naughty:

Hi Shayne just found theses if there ok buddy image.jpegimage.jpeg

Thanks guys its Dieseldragon's thread and a pic is worth a thousands words . I can guess who has a lift and who doesn't and both look like standard size wheels without spacers but such info is important to someone who is about to spend lots of pennies for the first time so .....

Your annoying me with that 90 series bumper Fireout , it looks too good , so i will annoy you by saying get some 285/75's on that 70 series mate :lol:

Thanks for taking the time Sag i would guess your glad of the distraction right now , there is nothing i can say you haven't grown bored of hearing as it sounds like you have been through the mill more than once so eh yeah ... best wishes and all that stuff you get on cards in tesco :icon-rolleyes: plus a heartfelt if there's ever anything i can do giz a shout :thumbup:

Thanks for that Shayne much appreciated buddy :thumbup:

285/75 on my 70? You mean like the ones on my grey 80? :whistle: Nah, too wide. The 265 are flush with the body.
Sag, get well soon!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 294
Last edited:
Dieseldragon, did you consider 245 or 255 as well?
like the tires on this truck. IIRC they are 255/85. Very tall.
image.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like 235 is the widest I can go, without wheel arch extensions. Mine is a gx, and doesn't have the plastic wheel arches. With 235s and the +7 offset, the tyres will be exactly flush with the body.

I have to get an engineering report to make them legal for the annual technical inspection. This costs money, if I fit arches as well, it's something else needing homologation.

I wanted mud tyres, but can't legalise them as the speed rating is only Q and the LC states S on the document, so think I'm going general grabber AT or AT2. These are the most aggressive I can find with legal speed rating.

Will put up some before and after pics.

where in the world are you DD ??
my trucks a GX with plastic arches from factory which is nothing unusual , is it actually stated anywhere in documents body molds or not ?

I'm in Spain, you can't do anything here without an engineer report.
All details of the car are on the reg document, down to height, width, length.
At the tech inspection, all details are checked.
They even check that replacement parts are approved. For example, if a headlight is changed because it was broken, the new one must have OME number on it.
It's crazy, but the way it is. Each modification has to have an independant engineers report and a certificate of installation from a garage that is registered with the government. Those 2 bits of paper cost around 300€..... plus the inspection fee.

Ah yes i have heard that about Spain . It does seem unlikely to me though that your GX came with different paperwork from Toyota than other GX's which typically do have body molds . I don't suppose it matters unless you would like arch extensions it was just a thought .

I didnt think it possible, but There is a Country 'Worse' than France for red tape! Bloomin eck! The only comment when mine was CT's (mot) was that the tyres are bigger than they should be....if you sell it, sell it with the original wheels and tyres! Have 265x75x16 Cooper discoverer ST Maxx's on with a -25 offset = wide stance ;)

I didnt think it possible, but There is a Country 'Worse' than France for red tape! Bloomin eck! The only comment when mine was CT's (mot) was that the tyres are bigger than they should be....if you sell it, sell it with the original wheels and tyres! Have 265x75x16 Cooper discoverer ST Maxx's on with a -25 offset = wide stance ;)

On 16x8 or 16x7 wheels Steve ?

Last edited:
Soz, 16x8's

Had a few rubbing issues, even with a pedders lift, until I got the HD springs on the front :)

Can't even fit a snorkel!

I once took a golf for a tech inspection, it was imported from Germany in 2001 and came with a factory fitted body kit, with vw part numbers. It failed in 2012 because the body kit was not standard to the type number of the car, compared to what was listed in their computer.

My merc failed because it had a new front bumper after a small shunt. The genuine part bumper didn't have the head light washer jets, so failed.....

Nightmare here for that kind of thing.

Back