Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

265/65-17 AT tyres

AndyCook

Garage
Country Flag
scotland
I have been looking into a set of AT tyres for my Hilux
i want to stick to 265/65-17, since the 70 profile will catch on mudguard, and i want to try and stay standard size anyway if i can to keep as close to factory spec as i can for performance etc

BFGoodrich seem do this size for the AT, but not listed on UK website in this size, and my local tyre place cant seem to get them

also thinking of the:
Cooper Discoverer AT/3
Goodyear Wrangler AT/SA
Bridgestone dueler AT 694
and i guess the new
General Grabber AT

any feedback or knowledge regarding the performance and durability of these tyres compared to the BFG AT

the will be used for trans europe road miles, UK greenlanes, and pistes in European mountains, and maybe even Morocco again :)

Last edited:
Andy dont you want to cut your BRAND new mud guard up then??

Dont buy the wranglers they are crap had some before and would never buy again didnt last 15k miles
Bridgestone dueler AT 694 i think is what i would get for a all round tyre to be fair. i will be getting these when i wear out my bfg km2
all the others are good tyres much all the same
stu

Nah don't want to hack up the new wheel arch mud guard. Out of interest What was wrong with the wranglers ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had wranglers on my Hilux MK4 when I first got it. The slightest bit of snow on the road and it was like driving on sheet ice! I swapped them out for a set of Pirelli Scorpions...they were just as bad but really grippy in the wet in comparison. Useless in the mud! I ended up with GG AT2s which I couldn't fault.

I was going to get a set of GG ATs for my disco but a mate out Ellon way had them on his shogun and he said they were the worst tyres he had ever had on a truck. Useless off road and on the rough stuff, ditch finders in the wet. Good on dry roads though and very quiet. He hasn't taken then through the snow so can't comment on that.

Have you thought about Continental Cross Contact ATs. Have heard a few good reports about them and they seem to be a good alternative to the old GG AT2s.

I just checked and they are available in the size you want.

I've got the Grabber ATs on the Amazon, and they've been fine throughout this recently inclement weather. The only time they've had issues is the downhill, off camber roundabout near home, but everything slithers through that in the wet. 10k has knocked approx 1mm off the tread so the wear is looking ok. The AT2s I had on the Colorado were perhaps marginally better off piste but there's not that much in it in my experience, and the ATs definitely clear more easily.

Watch the wear rates on the Contis. Despite getting them at cost price from head office, the Conti company 4x4s at my girlfriend's office ran AT2s instead. :think:

Perhaps also consider the Hankook Dynapros?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
well it seems that BFGoodrich do make an AT in 265/65-17
but not many places have them in stock,
my local tyre place has finally dsicovered this as well, but says there is no date for availability
so i will have to see if i can get them online

Andy try this guy down near me he seems to be able to get most tyres and he will do mail order
Charles at JCS 4x4 tyres 07505 105027

Andy, have a chat with Aberdeen Tyres in Torry. I have found that they can usually match or even beat internet prices and they have a knack of being able to find tyres other companies in the area can't.

Thanks David - I dropped them an email

I have also emailed BFGoodrich directly asking about them

i looked on all main tyre websites, list below, and the only one that lists the BFGoodrich AT 265/65-17 is camskill and they say no stock/no availability date
none of other sites even list the size i want
so i think they are pretty much impossible to get in UK now

i am thinking if they are this hard to find, i dont want them! because if a tyre is damaged and unrepairable, it could be a nightmare getting a replacement!

openo
mytyres

camskill
4x4tyres
pneus-online
blackcircles
tyresdirectuk
craddock
euromaster
paddock
devon4x4
asda
national tyres

Last edited:
Have a look at Black Circle - reasonable price and will deliver...

Hi gary
They are on my list of no show!

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Tapatalk 2

Give Redpath Tyres in Duns a call, and see what they can get, they have quite a good range and do delivery (as well as being a Scottish company!)

I have decided i want to stick to BFG AT and stock diameter of 31.5"
so now thinking of getting 7" wide, 16" alloys and 265/70-16 (you can get BFG AT in this size)

i know 16" alloys fit OK, as i tested the ones i sold with Wugg my old LC on my hilux, but the 265/75-16 tyres caught on wheel arch/mud flaps
they cleared the brake calipers ok, so the brakes must be a tad smaller than those on a 120

Last edited:
Back