Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

2h turbo and intercooler installation

Iwan

Country Flag
wales
When I first bought my part broken up 60 in 2009, thats when the mania began! I got in touch with a long time 60 owner called Alan Craddock who sold me a used Turbo technics kit for a 2h engine for £80!
60 turbo 2 002.JPG
It included most of the parts including an oil cooler, oil feed pipe, the remote oil filter system, the oil breather conection (pre turbo) and the exhaust 1st pipe.

I am not over keen on the manifold, but that is what I have..

So as it has been sat in the boot of my 60 for the last year, I thought it was better off actually in the front of the cruiser under the bonnet!!

So last Saturday I made a start on the job.

60 turbo job 001.JPG
2h in its stock state

60 turbo job 007.JPG
From much research ideally the best way to add a turbo is to use the existing manifold by flipping it over, which would give a better flow..

60 turbo job 009.JPG
First move (standard) was to sort out the from turbo oil return via the back push rod cover.

60 turbo job 010.JPG
I bought a 5/8" hydraulic fitting and on saturday night Mat welded it to the casing after hole sawing a 20mm hole in it.

60 turbo 2 007.JPG
Fitted in place and ready to bolt on the turbo:icon-biggrin:
60 turbo 2 008.JPG

It seems to fill a gap that always looks like there is something missing!

As I intend to fit an intercooler, the turbo air outlet is very conveniently pointing downwards and with a 52mm to 63mm 90 degree samco hose it will direct underneath the alternator:icon-smile:

The turbo has an adjustable actuator and is variable vane, also quite large in size..

I also fitted a new set of original toyota drive belts to it at this stage as the original ones were fubar!

At around this time on Sunday, Steve, Giles and Mog turned up as they were passing by on their Off road wkend around Wales. Real good to see them again and must say Steves Colorado (Swampy) LOOKS MINT :icon-biggrin: :think:... (Sorry no pic)

Theres plenty more to come and hope you find it interesting :thumbup:

(Not sure whats going on with the extra big pic)

Attachments

• 60 turbo job 006.JPG
    60 turbo job 006.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 1,240
be real interesting to see what difference it makes, feel a dyno session coming up!!

Hi Iwan. I'm just going to post up some pics of a Turbo Technics conversion as I'm not sure that yours is TT.

IMG_0579_zpsba9f0493.jpg

IMG_0581_zpsba8a0a77.jpg

This shows the return for the oil feed (connected to the sump on this conversion) and the return for the water feed, (turbo is water cooled).
IMG_0577_zpsb8527f1d.jpg

Wastegate
IMG_0578_zps6941f279.jpg

IMG_0584_zps396490c1.jpg

This is needed if you want to include an oil cooler, note, it has a take off feed for the turbo.
IMG_0585_zpse6216c52.jpg
This kit is the nearest to the factory set up in design and gave a lot of power without an intercooler.
. In order to make the best of the turbo the pump must be opened up, I'll let you know how when you are ready.
Expect to gain 20-40 bhp.
Any help I can Iwan

Andy

Cheers Andy, looks a very good setup you have/had there man, the exhaust manifold looks perfect and has a lot more space between the alternator compared to my setup.

When I bought the turbo Alan said it was first fitted in the mid 80's, it has the same oil filter sandwich plate to feed the rather large oil cooler, but there was a separate oil filter located by the air filter which a feed for the turbo was run from.

On the air turbine my turbo has a TT info plate (25mm x 10mm) on the side..

I bet Toyota wouldn't like the black flow and return pipes on your last pic!!

DSCF6228.JPG

DSCF6229.JPG

A similar setup on Alan's 1985 hj60

DSCF6231.JPG
I believe you know this truck, shame I havent got a side on pic of it was when it got sold to my mate Nathan in Cornwall, it changed quite a bit then. I believe you bought it off Nathans brother... And then I saw it had a new owner after you :think:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Oh yes Andy, do you still have the oil filter sandwich plate that you pictured there??? It wasn't supplied with my kit. I much prefer to use that set up compare to what I have installed.. I tried to find another one but the oil filter is a very unique size and there isnt anything off the shelf to do it.... Plz ££££'s ???

Hi my good friend Andy will let me have one for a .£100 thanks Andy turbo you R a good friend thanks a lot tonytoyota :laughing-rolling: :thumbup:

Eee's a good un in he Tony! I'll offer £100.98 for it haha :icon-biggrin:

Sorry guys that setup is on the last 60 registered in the UK, June 90. It was one owner till I bought it 93k on the clock. The turbo set up was on a rough but T+T 60 auto which I bought locally for £500 a couple of years ago for which I wanted the auto box. It went like stink though, equally as powerful as my 61 auto.
Anyway sorry but I can't let it go,the filter thing was on the truck I took the turbo kit off and is to be fitted to the truck along with the kit.
Good luck with the conversion Iwan.

Andy

Intercooler's

When I was scheming my turbo fit, I was going to use the intercooler of my old Vw lt35.
60 turbo 2 012.JPG

Just a usefull note, if you are ever going to use a reclaimed intercooler and you dont know the whole history of the vehicle, you should always refit the IC with the air flowing in the same direction. Cause if it has come from a motor that has had turbo breakup then there may be parts of a previous turbo in the intercooler.

60 turbo 2 017.JPG

Front stripped out to try the IC

60 turbo 2 013.JPG

No Cigar! Way too big, dont mind cutting holes for the pipework but not going to move the headlight mountings!

60 intercooler 001.JPG

I settled on a universal IC kit 550 x 140 x 65 with 63mm od pipework. Made better sense than going to a breakers yard to hopefully stumble upon what you need :icon-smile: All for £129.00 and arrived in 2 days!

60 intercooler 003.JPG

It fits in real well, but a bit of a job to cut the hole in the front panel. One down, one to go!

60 intercooler 006.JPG

Am well happy with the look of the pipework, real nice type of work. Will have to use a funel when doing an oil change from now on, I mean I always use a funnel to do oil changes!!!

60 intercooler 009.JPG

Quite a tidy hole cut in the front panel. I am planning to line the cut out edge with the door seal seam covers that go around the door apperture when open..
Wanted to get the pipework done before mounting the IC to get it in the right place.

60 intercooler 005.JPG

You have to redirect the rocker breather into the pre turbo air inlet, you dont want your turbo blowing into the rocker cover. Then you have to block off the original breather on the inlet manifold..

60 intercooler 008.JPG
I am very happy with the progress so far. Not too many hours have gone in to it.

Going to be making a stainless steel straight through side exit exhaust on friday.
3" or 2 1/2 ????? Any one know....:think:

Hi my good friend Andy will let me have one for a .£100 thanks Andy turbo you R a good friend thanks a lot tonytoyota :laughing-rolling: :thumbup:
Rumour has it you have money coming your way? Now we can talk about this turbo kit Tony :icon-biggrin:.

Love Andy

.................At around this time on Sunday, Steve, Giles and Mog turned up as they were passing by on their Off road wkend around Wales. Real good to see them again and must say Steves Colorado (Swampy) LOOKS MINT :icon-biggrin: :think:... (Sorry no pic)
Thanks for the cupa Iwan, it was most welcome :icon-biggrin: Next time I want to be following your 60 up the lane to adventures new :icon-smile: You've got that pushed on from when I saw it on Sunday, I guess the chap that does your sanding has been busy then :lol: Only photo I got was this one of you and Giles chewing the fat.

IMG_8890_zps138d42a9.jpg

Going to be making a stainless steel straight through side exit exhaust on friday.
3" or 2 1/2 ????? Any one know....:think:
with your intercooled turbo I'd go 3", it will be noisier than 2 1/2 but no chance of it being a restriction :icon-cool: At 2 1/2" you might wonder if it's holding it back?

with your intercooled turbo I'd go 3", it will be noisier than 2 1/2 but no chance of it being a restriction :icon-cool: At 2 1/2" you might wonder if it's holding it back?

Thanks John, Ideally I wanted it to be 3", have to look at some increasing pipe joiners to go up from the 60mm starter pipe I have. Also if it is too noisy I can cut in a silencer in at a later point. Thanks for confirming it for me :think:

Oil Cooler!

After looking into fitting an oil cooler last night, I looked at the 2 I have and decided to fit this one in.

intercooler 2 001.JPG

It will need 2 more compact 90 bends on it. Flushed it out with petrol.
As I have the remote oil filter that has an outlet for the turbo feed and oil out to the oil cooler. I am missing the plate that fits on the original oil filter location with a feed for the remote filter and a return from the oil filter. I went to see a guy who will make me one out of a 100mm dia x 50mm long billet of aluminium, fingers crossed..

60 turbo 2 011.JPG

Wasn't too keen on this connection, running off the oil pressure port (weak link). On a plus side I can now use it to fit an oil fed pressure gauge..

intercooler 2 003.JPG
Other IC pipe in progress, from looking at the height of the IC it need's to be dropped down at least 25mm as its just behind the TOYO badge and will give more room for the oil cooler pipework. It starting to get a bit crowded behind the grill lol!

intercooler 2 006.JPG

Finished the last IC pipe, 65mm body lift helped to cross the two pipes. Well happy with the result..

intercooler 2 009.JPG

Really like the contrast between the new and the old. The universal kit saves so much time. Also got the brake servo pipe connected and re routed.

intercooler 2 010.JPG

Little bit of moving around needed there....

can you get or make a flange and make your own dump pipe? For an 80 the flange from a Supra is the same so it's not too hard to find a nice SS aftermarket flange to glue some pipe to. Maybe the flange for your turbo is common for something else? I'm sure a 2 1/2" system would work well, just not quite as well as 3" :icon-biggrin: Nice IC pipework, that came out well :icon-cool:

Thanks man, really enjoyed the IC pipework good to make attention to detail. But do want to fix the pipes to the bodywork etc.

I do have 3 types of flanges for the turbo, one supplied with it, one off a 2lt engine and not sure what the other one was off!
60 ex 1 007.JPG
They're all not ideal really the turbo outlet dia is 55mm but to go from small to big for a small section (75mm or so) is said to be good as it can encourage spooling. If you see the stepped new piece that is available to goto 3" but at 185mm long it isnt ideal in that space. I thought to use one of the shorter flanges to coil around the 40mm x 3mm plate on the rhs to make it up to 3" and weld it up. To leave enough space to attach the flange to the turbo.

Dont seem to be able to add any more pictures..

I'm gonna stick with the 3" exhaust as the 2h has been asthmatic for the past 25 years lol..

Last night myself and matt were looking at the exhaust manifold and how unideal it is with regards to the flow for 4,5,6th cylinders and how the unused exhaust outlet is completely in the way for a mandrel bent 3" pipe. So am going to look at making a manifold out of the 2 I have. As pictured below.

Want to take the new exhaust through the wheel arch and between the sill and the chassis. As to take the original route there is a complication with the outlet by the rear wheel. As in this instance the 65mm body lift works to a disadvantage. It is way too low and a long way below the sill of the truck. But will have to see if the front wheel wount crush the exhaust on full articulation..

There is a lot to plan on this side of the job..:cool:

Attachments

• 60 ex 1 001.JPG
    60 ex 1 001.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 854
  • 60 ex 1 002.JPG
    60 ex 1 002.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 819
  • 60 ex 1 004.JPG
    60 ex 1 004.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 801
  • 60 ex 1 006.JPG
    60 ex 1 006.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 766
Had a bit of a break through with the manifold plan, I took the original one to my local blacksmith and described what I wanted to do and he said it was a goer and no need to weld it. Can also leave in the expansion that the manifold has built into it. So better flow and plenty of space to fit the big exhaust pipe in!! :))

Had a long day on the case with it today and suprising how much time details take.

60 front end tidy up 001.JPG

Extended the IC pipe holes in the front panel, really dont like using an angle grinder in a confined space, lined it with hilux door apperture trims.

60 front end tidy up 003.JPG

Got a great parallel line with the grill after dropping the IC , but it is 3mm out along the top of it from each of the side casings!

60 front end tidy up 006.JPG

Mounted the IC, the 3 top mounts on it are out of line too! Made in China === most probable!

Oil cooler in positon but want to raise it away from the plate (25mm)? Have also sourced compact 5/8 hydraulic fittings to fit it. Also have bought 3 metres of SAE 100 oil pipe to connect it up. Dont want to use just any old pipe as it will degrade years down the line and make a problem for me. On all the oil connections am going to get the ends crimped on.

Just a few more hours work left on the front end tomorow. Will be a good day as I'm going to fit the bumper and winch tomorow!!! :) YESSSS!

Back