Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

3.5 tonne tipper, What would you buy??

greengrass

Country Flag
england
Looking to buy a 3.5 tonne tipper, quite fancy a Sprinter.

Used to run a Dyna a few years back, turned on a sixpence never looked over loaded etc.

Great truck when its loaded, hideous to drive when empty and completely useless on anything slippery.

Does anyone on here run a little tipper that you would recommend??

I got an 04 crewcab Iveco, very roomy so loads of space for tools. Looks the biz in company colours and the steel work is 3 times as thick as any other van so it'll last well. Only problem is being so heavy it's almost overloaded with a packet of crisps... it's essentially a 5.5tonne van rated at 3.5tonne so never looks wrong loaded up. I'm keeping my eye out for a cabstar or similar, carry 1.7 tonnes but very small so I'd just use it for the heavy loads.

My mate has always run a pair of Cabstars, he says the latest generation models fall apart. Very disappointed as he used to swear by them.
The Dyna was good but very limited space in the cab esp if your over 6ft tall.

I have an old ford 190 tipper 1996 i think and while i can't recommend it i can't fault it , drives like a wagon but spare parts are ten a penny , its a work bus insured for anyone to drive and hasn't even got door locks . I imagine the newer models must be worth a test drive i often see ex railway fords in very good condition going for a song .

If and when i get another an aluminum box will be a must .

Last edited:
Over the years i have had a Cabstar (now built in Spain so Greengrass's comments ring true!), Canter (now a Fuso, I think) (same point about ride quality as Dyna - perhaps because you are cantilevered in front of front wheels) and also a Dyna (great bus- you can well overload it without complaint but for the empty ride you need sea sick pills).

I had a Sprinter tipper on a test drive/ loan (managed to hold on to it for about 10 days) and it was very good. It came down to £ in the end and the deal on the Dyna was the best.

Sprinters hold there value and tippers get wrecked. What i did with the cabstar was buy a box van that had had very light use. Sold the box for a couple of hundred and then had a firm in Bradford fit me an alloy tipping back. The cost circa 2007 was £1,600.00 plus the VAT.

Cant remember their name off the top but I assume there are a number of outfits that do this work. I do remember for a bit more they did a really trick 3- way tipper. It tipped back and left and right - useful if you have to squeeze onto tight sites to drop stuff off.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Signed the paperwork on a nearly new VW Crafter today, picking it up on Saturday.

No lol.
Its basic enough for work, feels well built, pulls pretty well, seem to hold their money pretty well.

Also enough room in the cab for 3 full size blokes to be comfy, unlike the Japanese equivalent where its 2 plus a small child.

Crafter and Sprinter are almost the same... So near enough...

Back