Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

3" dump pipe & exhaust with high flow silencer

Towing our camper trailer around Australia I decided that we need more power. On the flat at sea level is fine, but up steep hills at altitude is a bit tedious and the truck is working harder than I feel comfortable with. I already have a Tunit box, K&N air filter and water injection kit, as well as the large centre muffler removed from my 2.5" exhaust. Up the big hills with right foot buried I can see a bit if black smoke which suggested unburnt fuel. So I could turn the pump down a bit, or I could try to use that unburnt fuel...

So first up I had a 3" turbo back system (includes the dump pipe) installed yesterday. There is a crowd called Scott's Rods here in Brisbane that are starting to make a name for themselves, so I decided to give them a try. I could also have gone with Beaudesert, but they were a few hundred $ more, and only do a 2.75" system for Prados.
The difference in low and mid rpm torque (up to about 2600rpm) is very impressive - definitely at least 10% gain, maybe more. I am very happy with this mod!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367529239.853152.jpg

I asked them to turn the tip down so that it didn't gas me anymore when I hook up the trailer chains & plugs.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367529216.203134.jpg

We're off to Landcruiser Mountain Park now so will try to get some vid of what it sounds like too.

Tomorrow I will be fitting the EGT gauge and boost controller, which I'm looking forward to. And when funds permit, I will high flow the turbo. Lets see what the 1KZ lump can do :)

The exhaust guys fitted an EGT bung to the dump pipe for me, so all I had to do was run the wire through the firewall and mount it in the dash. I have it in place of the ashtray and will make it look a bit neater after our trip.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367881557.727831.jpg

Fitting the Turbotech boost controller was a bit more of a challenge, only because the hose it taps into is very short and in a very difficult to reach place (behind the air intake against the right side of the engine). The controller is simplicity itself though. It uses a spring and ball valve to restrict any boost pressure from reaching the waste gate actuator until the boost level reaches the set level. I also fitted a boost gauge at the same time - I think this is a must do if you plan to push the boost up.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367881957.225753.jpg

The controller comes with the boost set slightly higher than standard - mine is boosting around 12.5psi out the box. From what I've read I can go up to 14psi before the ecu goes into limp mode (I have not been able to verify this yet).

The boost is definitely coming on quicker now as well as slightly higher. I am using much less throttle everywhere, and it looks like mpg might be back to pre-winch/bullbar/storage/fridge/etc levels.

Nice work. :icon-biggrin:

Could you take a pic of the new dump pipe please?

From what I've read on forums changing the standard one for a bigger one is meant to make a big difference. :think:

Have you got any pics and/or links to the turbo timer please? :icon-cool:

Have fun at Landcuiser Mountain park! :thumbup:

Not envious at all! :eusa-liar: :lol:

Here are a few of pics of the dump pipe and flexi joint.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367969037.319364.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367969059.764450.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367969077.483963.jpg

I fitted a boost controller, rather than a turbo timer (not sure this is really necessary). If you google Turbotech there is loads of info from all sorts of forums and websites on this particular manual controller. It seems to perform at least as good as (if not better than) a lot of the more expensive electronic controllers. Once it is fitted it is very difficult to photograph due to its position.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367969345.964866.jpg

The allen bolt sticking out is the adjusting bolt for the controller. I think I would need one of those surgical cams to get a better pic.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thats a good result, often 'improvements' dont seem to offer any improvement!

I reckon if the dump pipe was a swept bend it may even be marginally better, as it would keep the 3" diameter constant, but hard to do with not a lot of space.

If ive still got my 95 when the exhaust needs replacing this is a very good idea.

The water injection gets mentioned occasionally, think you are the first person Ive come across that has actually fitted it.

Cheers

Pete

I reckon if the dump pipe was a swept bend it may even be marginally better, as it would keep the 3" diameter constant, but hard to do with not a lot of space.

The whole exhaust is 3" mandrel bent, including the dump pipe. I wish I had done this sooner.

Back