Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

3 inch exhaust down pipe .

Shayne

Guru
I have often said on here the down pipe is what makes the difference when adding a 3" exhaust and on my 1kz-te is the absolute truth .

However the 3" exhaust on my 1kd while giving some improvement didn't dramatically alter the character or performance in anything near the same way .

Recently i got to look at the 3" exhaust on Nick's 80 series and the penny dropped that the ct12b turbo housing used on the 1kz has a far larger exhaust flange than the other trucks which is maybe why mrT put a restriction on its exhaust down pipe .

So there you go - an answer to a question nobody asked :|

Turbo out 004.JPG
Downpipe.JPG

I've been looking at these quite a lot. I have one from a kzj70 which has a good flow but points nicely into the wheel arch.
The surf/4 runner one is really restrictive and similar to the 90 series.
One of the best I've seen is the Granvia one, Its fat non restricted but points directly down, which would have a great use on some applications.
The 80 series one looks very similar to the kzj70 version.. both good for 70 series side exit applications:hearteyecat:. Not sure of use on the 90 series as you then go through the drivers wheel arch. Then have to change the rest of the system.

I don't have pictures of them at the moment but will try when the time comes.:thumbup:

I've been looking at these quite a lot. I have one from a kzj70 which has a good flow but points nicely into the wheel arch.
The surf/4 runner one is really restrictive and similar to the 90 series.
One of the best I've seen is the Granvia one, Its fat non restricted but points directly down, which would have a great use on some applications.
The 80 series one looks very similar to the kzj70 version.. both good for 70 series side exit applications:hearteyecat:. Not sure of use on the 90 series as you then go through the drivers wheel arch. Then have to change the rest of the system.

I don't have pictures of them at the moment but will try when the time comes.:thumbup:
Are these 'dump' tail pipes all interchangeable then Iwan?

They have the same mount to turbo pattern. I think with the IFS trucks there's a bit of a squeeze going on to get the exhaust out of the bay hence the restriction. But all the other ones I've seen are big bore and open. Particularly the Granvia one.

I think the D4D Colorado down pipe is without the restriction because it uses a different turbo , one with an exhaust outlet very similar to the 80 series . Interchangeable perhaps ?

If I could find some love for my D4D truck I think I would be investigating turbo swap possibilities though I would expect to be denied because of micro management .

No micro nonsense on an 80 Iwan :eusa-whistle:

Yeah observations on the turbo outlet been on the 1kzt engine.

Have you dug out the smoke filter on the 1kd? I messed with the 2kd ftv and learned not to touch any of those engines again!:lol: The electronics are way too restrictive when doing mods etc!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Not yet no egr can't be fully blanked there has to be hole in the blanking plate , as i said I can't find no enthusiasm for the truck because it's got no charisma so yeah one day maybe if I've got nothing else to do :|

Try a ball bearing in the vacuum pipe that activates the egr

I haven't looked into it much Stu but i imagine the 1kd hole in the blanking plate serves to trick the electrickery into thinking its working as it should and so it won't shut you down .

Not sure if it's the same pattern but I bought a nice stainless steel flange for a supra off ebay and used that to make a nice big dump pipe for my last 80. If you start with just a flange you can be a bit more creative with size, shape and direction.

Back