Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

30 MPG from an 80 ?

Graham

Garage
Country Flag
uk
Is this for real ?
I thought the 80, on a 'good day' would return you about 27 MPG max, feather foot.

30mpg1.jpg

30mpg.jpg

Graham

24v are manual and yes 30 +. at 2000 rpm on mine on motorway and I average 31,

With a better exhaust i would expect a bit more.

my 24 vlave manual gets 24mpg on a gentle cruise down the motorway, must be my driving...

Rob said:
my 24 vlave manual gets 24mpg on a gentle cruise down the motorway, must be my driving...
This is what I would rather believe. 24 'ish

Adrian, is that for real, 30 mpg, ?

I have to be careful just to get 30mpg out of my 120, and I am sure it's a lot lighter, more fuel efficient than a heavy 4.2L

Graham

Even 24mpg sounds good. I did just over 300 motorway miles last weekend at a pretty constant 70mph and averaged just 20mpg (12v manual) :cry: I have kept tabs on my mpg for a while now and this figure plus or minus 2mpg seems fairly reliable.

Apparently servicing your injectors and pump can improve mpg.....

I get 26 to 28 mpg towing on the motorway (another LC80 on a 18ft trailer) and have gotten 30 mpg on the motorway being very steady on 56/ 60 mph..
That is on a 12V auto...

I average just under 20mpg around town if I am driving carefully but only about 14 normally driving like a tw@t...
and about 22 to 26 on the motorway...

It pays to drive sensible really but it is sooooo boring... :lol: + these engines are made to run under load to I better give it what it needs.... ;)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
the worst i have ever recorded was 20mpg and i was doing this:
16122009010.jpg

oh and when i say gentle, well consider this, my old mk3 golf tdi did 40mpg at 100mph and i had it for a very long time so its all relative (obviously i found this out in germany)

Only had mine for the past month and put 2 tanks of fuel through it.

First one was just pottering around town with faulty viscous coupling but got 24mpg. Second was a run up north, mostly motorway which returned 28. Not bad for a three ton truck.

Cheers

Richard

my 12v auto at a steady 70 with MTs, a lift and a fair bit of weight averages 22.6mpg, on biodiesel it averages 23.8mpg

before the tyres, the lift and the weight i used to average 27.6mpg.

My 24v Auto averages 26mpg overall with town and m/way driving.
A lot better than the original 18mpg before I put on the straight through exhaust, and also 1mpg more since the snorkel.

My figures are done with a month of driving and only about 10 percent of that is m/way.

Goddam piece of junk :evil: not only is mine determined to drop all it's oil and p!#* me off at every available opportunity, but it's the thirstiest b*-#~!r too :x :x

Lorin said:
Goddam piece of junk :evil: not only is mine determined to drop all it's oil and p!#* me off at every available opportunity, but it's the thirstiest b*-#~!r too :x :x
Yours is very frugal compared to my old 80 and Ray's current 80 so it could be worse ;)

geo-smc said:
I must have big feet !.I only get about 18mpg on my 4.2 Diesel
Me too :(
Chas

Hi y'all
quite possibly - I regularly get 26-28 mpg at 60-65 mph; mines's a 12 v 1991 auto
(I'm quite gentle with it...well, I don't want to wreck it....she says, still missing it like crazy; poor Beast is still incarcerated sadly
I'm looking forward to flooring the accell on the way to Lincomb Farm (that's if I even get there) :(
Cheers
Renate

I've never got the hang of this economical driving lark, it's a mysterious talent that has always been beyond my grasp :lol: 15 is a good number for my 100 pottering about now, 16 would mean I'd done my granny proud, but I read about people getting 20/21 and I think they must get out and push!

I also think the 80 's that are getting 30 are being towed by a 120.

he he he

Graham said:
I also think the 80 's that are getting 30 are being towed by a 120.

he he he
Crispin will love you forever for saying this!

Back on topic, I think that 30 mpg is achievable but requires some fairly gentle driving. At normal motorway speeds etc. I think mid to high-20s is perfectly doable.
I have noticed that if you push it a bit at high speed, the economy plummets quickly to the low-20s. :cool:

I'm guessing that the sub-20 mileage comes from very modified 80s? Roof-racks, bull-bars, big tyres and snorkels all disrupting the normally sleek lines :?:

Andrew Prince said:
I'm guessing that the sub-20 mileage comes from very modified 80s? Roof-racks, bull-bars, big tyres and snorkels all disrupting the normally sleek lines :?:
I think weight and lift are the main factors and maybe the weight of the tyres as I didn't find any difference between 36" Simex and 37" Pro Comps. I think at 3-4" lift you do start messing with the sleek shape though.

Back