Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

30 MPG from an 80 ?

ignat said:
My consumption isnt that great either on my 90.

Sure, I've got a roof rack and some bigger tyres now, but I got some pretty bad figures recently.

Other than driving style, weight etc, why would the consumption differ between two cruisers?

What can be done to improve consumption?

Change the 90 for a 1HD-FT equiped 80 series :lol:

Brett said:
ignat said:

Sure, I've got a roof rack and some bigger tyres now, but I got some pretty bad figures recently.

Other than driving style, weight etc, why would the consumption differ between two cruisers?

:evil: :twisted:

Cossack said:
That was the first time I had to drive any distance with the light on and I had no idea how long the reserve would last :? would there be a problem if you let the tank run dry :o and then filled from a jerry can, just to see exactly how many miles can be done on reserve :?: or would the fuel system need 'bleeding'
Chas
Running it till it stops shouldn't do any harm to your IP Chas after all the engine stops as soon as the pump starts sucking air and unless your owners manual says different this situation should be within the design spec of the pump. What it can do though is make sure any crud in the bottom of your tank clogs the screen on the pickup pipe and maybe fill the engine bay filrer with water depending on the contents of your tank :lol: So if you haven't had a peek inside your tank recently to check all is well you might cause yourself some grief. You know the tank capacity is 95l so next time the light comes on fill it up and work it out that way instead ;)

Jon Wildsmith said:
Cossack said:
So if you haven't had a peek inside your tank recently to check all is well you might cause yourself some grief. You know the tank capacity is 95l so next time the light comes on fill it up and work it out that way instead ;)
Thanks Jon. Not worth clogging everything up :shock: , so that's what I'll do :D
Chas

the fuel pump mods do play a big differents in mpg i found my mpg dropped after i played about with my pump but then again i look at it that my 4.2 lc is getting 27 to 28 mpg and the hyundi tucson and santa fe that come in work are only getting 29 to 33 mpg which says the old beast is doing well for a old mechanical diesel plus i would rather drive the 80

Well a slightly disappointing result for my first long run. I brimmed it before leaving and drove pretty much non stop to Suffolk at just over 60 mph on cruise. 230 miles later, I brimmed it again and it gave me 24mpg. This was with tyres set slightly hard at 40psi. No rack, no snork or anything. I wanted to see what it would do in standard turn out. Air filter looks clean enough too and fuel filter is new. Used Esso derv not supermarket juice. Gauge-wise it was looking really good. But brim to brim is the best measure. I might try the drive back not using cruise. Some tests have said that it is less economical to set cruise. We'll see if fitting the snorkel makes a difference and then I shall have to get the axe out and remove that centre box. Truthfully, whilst not totally surprised it would have been nice to have squeezed a couple more out of it than that.
The front diff was a little noisy and whether that contributes much in terms of losses I dunno. If someone would have a listen to it at Lincomb and give me a verdict on how soon I need a rebuild, I'd appreciate it. Can I face puling it all to bits again?

Ahh well, see how it goes coming back home - it's uphill of course.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
HI Chris

could also be injectors due for a service?

axe that box, and fit the snork and that should also help.

i still need a new pipe to replace the big box - for now i hacksawed a hole in the pipe ahead of it :lol:

Clearing out everything in the truck and came across the 'Toyota Official Fuel Economy Information' leaflet in the owners pack

Interesting..... :cool:

Figures are quoted for the 12 valve VX.

Urban = 23.3 for the manual, 18.5 for the auto
56mph = 29.1 manual, 27.4 auto
75mph = 18.3 manual, 18.3 auto

I might be wrong, but I'd assume a truck is more likely to get worse on economy as it gets older not better..? Mine also has bigger wheels, lift, snorkel etc, so my current average of 20mpg really isn't that bad at all.

Call me a cynic but I reckon car manufacturers are prone to over rather than under-exaggaration of mpg figures...... so 30mpg really :?

I found exactly the same leaflet in mine too.

Well jectors might need a service but it has been runniung much better since wacking cleaner through it and giving it the beans every so often. At 100k is shouldn't really need doing.

Shouldn't slightly bigger wheels actually help out at cruising altiude though? More distance covered per rev? I appreciate that you lose out on stop start stuff, but once cruising it should be improved. This was a 200 mile straight trip.

Chris

Brett said:
ignat said:

Like for like as near as anything, a 12 valve auto uses more fuel than a 95 1KZ-TE Auto, off road and on well the one I spent a couple of weeks with did anyway ~ 5L extra for 200 miles (if I remember correctly) so not a huge amount in it. I can also say that a 24 valve manual uses less than my 1KZ-TE like for like. :mrgreen:

I just did another test on my KZ-TE and pretty loaded up with roof rack etc I got 25mpg. 70% highway 60mph and 30% town driving.

ignat said:
I just did another test on my KZ-TE and pretty loaded up with roof rack etc I got 25mpg. 70% highway 60mph and 30% town driving.

About the same as mine. I do drive steady most of the time though.

Chris said:
Well a slightly disappointing result for my first long run. I brimmed it before leaving and drove pretty much non stop to Suffolk at just over 60 mph on cruise. 230 miles later, I brimmed it again and it gave me 24mpg. This was with tyres set slightly hard at 40psi. No rack, no snork or anything. I wanted to see what it would do in standard turn out. Air filter looks clean enough too and fuel filter is new. Used Esso derv not supermarket juice. Gauge-wise it was looking really good. But brim to brim is the best measure. I might try the drive back not using cruise. Some tests have said that it is less economical to set cruise. We'll see if fitting the snorkel makes a difference and then I shall have to get the axe out and remove that centre box. Truthfully, whilst not totally surprised it would have been nice to have squeezed a couple more out of it than that.
The front diff was a little noisy and whether that contributes much in terms of losses I dunno. If someone would have a listen to it at Lincomb and give me a verdict on how soon I need a rebuild, I'd appreciate it. Can I face puling it all to bits again?

Ahh well, see how it goes coming back home - it's uphill of course.

Chris

Hi Chris,

I think 24 mpg is a honest fuel consumption figure.
I really fail to see how a truck, the size and weight of an 80, with the aerodynamics of a, , , , well, she's no Corvette or Porsch lets say.

So over all, 24 is a good starting point.
I would probably expect with less intake restriction, and less exhaust restriction, and of course, bare minimum weight in the truck then 25 - 26 could be done.

As far as I worked out on my 120, the slightly larger tyres have almost no effect on consumption what so ever at speeds up to around 65 mph.
The tyres will start to affect consumption the more oversize the are to standard, and of course, the faster you go.

Graham

Graham said:
I think 24 mpg is a honest fuel consumption figure.

I really fail to see how a truck, the size and weight of an 80, with the aerodynamics of a, , , , well, she's no Corvette or Porsch lets say.

So over all, 24 is a good starting point.
Graham

Thats settled then, I must be lying or imagining my 80's consumption :roll: ;)

I always stick 75 litres in mine, reset the clock & average over 400 miles. I refilled yesterday & got 436 before the light came on :cool:

I've had my 80 nearly 2 years & it's always been the same on mpg, but you'll never see the same out of a 12 Valve so it's not comparing apples to apples really.

Mine runs out and then i fill it up......... I drive carefully and its well serviced.

Nothing i can do really and worrying about it just makes it worse. If you are worried about fuel consumption then drive an Aygo.

I just wish my 80 was as good as some of the reports in this thread, at the moment I'm getting 18mpg on average :cry: , mind you it was 16/17mpg before the Prospeed 3" exhaust was fitted, on motorway driving at 50mph I can squeeze 20mpg, this is all with snorkel, roof rack and tent, all my gear in the back, 285/75/16 tyres and a heavy right foot :lol:
Before the intercooler was fitted I used to get as much as 22mpg, on one occasion I recorded 29mpg, but I probably did the calculations wrong on that one :oops: , and it's too tempting to use the extra Oomph the intercooler gives :twisted: , so I just accept that my 80 never going to be frugal.
Chas

I just bought an LC80 series '94 AUTO and drove it back from northern Scotland. I took it easy on the motorways (60 - 65mph) and 2000 - 2100 rpm average.
Filled her to the brim before leaving Huntly, Scotland and added 2 x bottles of injector fluid as well.
The truck has a larger than normal fuel tank and takes 120litres so we were able to drive all the way home without refuelling!

Our route was on the motorway all the way down to Wimbledon, London vis the Cairngorm Natrional park through the mountains and also through the Lake District.

Stats below show that the average consumption was around 28+mpg - and that's as she is now with big 285 BFG All Terrain tyres and definitely some work that needs doing.

Unbelievable for such a big girl.. (Previously owned a Wrangler and that needed filling up every 300kms with a 65litre tank!)

mpg miles gallons
28.6 630 22

kms litres km / litre
1013.7 100 10.14

Matt - good to hear you've got the beast home. I suspect you will never repeat the consumption once you develop confidence in the truck :mrgreen: Hard to stop the right foot pressing down!

Brett said:
Thats settled then, I must be lying or imagining my 80's consumption :roll: ;)

I've had my 80 nearly 2 years & it's always been the same on mpg, but you'll never see the same out of a 12 Valve so it's not comparing apples to apples really.

I don't think anyone is calling a liar, may be an optimist :mrgreen: , but you make a good point about different engines. My 12v manual did 650 mile this week, most motorway but about 100 miles of urban (and the m'way includes 2hrs of M25 for 40miles :roll: ) and I got 24.7mpg. Mostly 65-75 (by satnav, not speedo) empty for half and half laden the other.

I envy your featherweight right foot and 12 extra valves!

26.33 at my last check which included some mountain climbs in northern spain and later I found a small leak in the fuel fill pipe so 30 is not way off target IMHO.

regards

Dave

Back