Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

38's on a 90

Chris Green90

Garage
Country Flag
england
OMG How sweet does this baby look. Shame its not a green shortie.

4x4-hofsjokull-gudmundur.jpg

Beau-ti-ful and great in the snow...:icon-biggrin:

I run the 80 on BFG Muds 305/70/16 (they'd be 33" I suppose) with 10" rims and they're ace in fresh snow.

I'd like to go bigger, do you know if BFG do a 36" in the Mud range? Any bigger than that and I think there'd be a problem at the front of the rears. I can't go down to 15's 'cos my calipers are too big.

Sorry Clive I aint got a clue mate. Probably should have said this isn't my truck. Looks like an Arctic Trucks conversion. Would love to know what they do to the front end to get 38's in there though.

I think it helps that the wheels are spaced out. Maybe not with spacers but the rims are very wide and most of it's on the outside. My 10" rims are central on the mount and that puts them out a long way. This allows them to clear at the back of the fronts. And of course the lift. It must be 8 or 9" on that truck...

Nice... :icon-biggrin:

I think Arctic trucks move the axles or some thing like that.

Gra.

I know on the 80s they tend to move the rear axle a fair bit back to get them on.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Does look good. Would the diffs need to be re-geared?

Yep - big time. There is a list somewhere of exactly what Arctic do on the 120 to go to 38". I'll dig it out. One of the things is to give you your own fuel station :lol:

I think on the rear they shift the axle a touch back but the rears can easily manage the bigger wheels. It's the front that needs the wok. They shift the front axle forward and have custom wheels made so that the offset will be big enough for the wheels to steer. Everything is basically custom made.

Ha ha, I checked out BFG KM2's and to get 38" on 16's I'd have to get 365/85/16's, which is probably the same width as those in the photo :icon-biggrin:

But they look like 15's, does the 90 accept 15's?

Arctic Trucks remove the whole front end and replace it with Dana axles and all modified parts , the body is cut and custom arch are fabricated . I contacted them a few years ago , they don't actually sell vehicles only modify them but they were kind enough to source me a 6 year old Nissan Nivara with 38 inch wheels that they had modified for a customer . I can't remember exactly but it had about 90k on the clock and when i worked out the currency exchange rate the price was around £19000 for the truck . Then it would have to be shipped and import duties added .

I politely declined !

Ive spoke to a chap in iceland and for a converstion for a 80 is 5k all in. truck is ontop,didnt think tht was crazy money for the work

Well smart

I want a red one please.

The 80's all look like they have been Bob-tailed ???

Mal

Ive spoke to a chap in iceland and for a converstion for a 80 is 5k all in. truck is ontop,didnt think tht was crazy money for the work

I take it that price doesn't include tyres?

Most of them run 44"s which I imagine must be £500+ a corner. :think:

MAL, There shift the rear axel back on the 80 as well so gives the impression its bobtailed.

BEN, He said all in.Not including the truck. I thought it was quite cheap as well if im honest. Think hes done a few though and knows plenty who have.

I'm the wrong person to suggest this coz i have no mechanical knowledge passed motorbikes .... but -

Gearing problems aside . Couldn't you cut bigger arches out of the wing , add huge spacers or offset wheels so the tyre actually runs almost entirerly outside the bodywork then just add bushwacker flares to make everything legal ?

To make 38's fit i mean .

Last edited:
Back