Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

3k mikes annually. Petrol or Diesel?

The Nomads Tent

Country Flag
scotland
Just sold my toyota Hilux Surf after 6 x good years but now need a 7 seater and to tow a twin axle caravan so thought a Landcruiser Amazon 80 would do the trick. Given it is a second car and will only do around 3k miles a year economy isn't really a priority however reliability is paramount so Diesel or Petrol is the dilemma. Want to stick to original so not looking at lpg. Would appreciate your views and experiences.

This is an age old debate. Firstly there's no difference in reliability really - petrol or diesel.

Petrosl are cheaper generally to buy and have had better lives generally speaking. You will get between 9 and 11 per gallon roughly. They're all autos. If you go diesel, you won't get as much for you money probably and may have to do more work to get it back up to spec. You will get around 19 mpg from a 12v auto and about 24 maybe 26 generally out of a 24v manual. Individual cars will vary. Some people have touched 30 mpg.

So on 3000 miles annualy, petrol starts to look quite sensible. With the money you save on the car, you can off set the mpg.

At that mileage I'd say petrol is a no brainer. As Chris said, you will get more for your money, quite possibly a fair bit more.

My recent run to Madrid netted near on 27 MPG with my 12 valve manual, around town around 23- 25? a bit vague on the town figure as my around town driving rarely see's much traffic.

regards

Dave

Sound advice, thanks.

[hghhghhghhQUOTE=Chris;423532]This is an age old debate. Firstly there's no difference in reliability really - petrol or diesel.

Petrosl are cheaper generally to buy and have had better lives generally speaking. You will get between 9 and 11 per gallon roughly. They're all autos. If you go diesel, you won't get as much for you money probably and may have to do more work to get it back up to spec. You will get around 19 mpg from a 12v auto and about 24 maybe 26 generally out of a 24v manual. Individual cars will vary. Some people have touched 30 mpg.

So on 3000 miles annualy, petrol starts to look quite sensible. With the money you save on the car, you can off set the mpg.[/QUOTE]

Great advice although 9-11 mpg sounds a bit ouch!! I guess it balances out when you weigh it all up

Petrol :icon-biggrin:

I do around 4k miles a year in mine, half of that probably off tarmac.
I looked at diesel but couldn't find the right one at the time, looked at petrol ones and never looked back.

I've seen 20mpg and I've seen a lot less but how it's driven makes a big difference. Plenty power and smooth to drive. You can drive steady with light throttle and easily get upto speed with little effort, when you want a bit of go just floor it and grin away (and watch the fuel gauge drop)

Only reliability issues I've had we're aftermarket parts failing.

I got mine nearly 2.5 years ago with 73k miles, full history and it was very tidy, paid £4400 for it. Find a low mileage diesel for that!!

You can get more for your money as said and you won't get tractor soot on your caravan.

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I'm getting around 19 mpg out of mine and on lpg I'm around 14 to 15 mpg so pence per mile very pcheap. I paid 2250 for mine on I have spent 1500 doing odds and sods but it has only done 100k Kim's so very smooth and quiet.

At that mileage, petrol for the stated reasons. With that sort of use I wouldn't even bother with LPG personally. Bear in mind it will depreciate more and may be harder to sell on but if you get one at the right price than it's not much of an issue. JMO

Hummer gets a bad rap but I reckon it could compete with these figures :wtf:

Back