Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

500+ miles from 1 fill up

• Thread starter LandCruiser1978
  • Start date
I think lift, weight and tyres in that order are what sucks the juice when we start modifying them.

geordie_boy1978 said:
Just got back from spending newyear with my parents

I decided i was gonna try and get to there house and back home on 1 tank

so off i set at 64mph on cruise all the way to cardiff (was in no rush )
did some running around whilst down there and then
yeterday got on the motorway and set the cruise again to come home..

Result 501 miles from 1 tank full and fuel light still not on
refilled today and got 79.9 litres in her . or 17.57 Gallons

If my workings out are correct thats 28.5 MPG

Now when i fill her up i always brim the filler neck
i reckon filler neck must hold 4/5litres

So if it was full and i ran the fuel low i think getting 600miles from 1 tank is very likely

Now i know people say how boring driving at that sort of speed is but all i'll say is when i got to my destinations i was fully relaxed and at no point during the journey did i feel stressed... it was lovely

Has anyone else ever had that kind of mileage from 1 tank ?

I reckon i could easily acheive 30+MPG because for the journey to my parents i had lots of electrical items switched on both heated seats , heated screen , lights , wipers , radio , rear heaters ,
also had 5 people and a boot full of lugage

Have you done anything to your injectors during this 180000km ?

Ecoman said:
You get similar figures to me Olazz. It must be something to do with the extra weight in the gold paint ;)

Ahh, the Gold paint theory... now you may very well be on to something there Eco :)

Cossack said:
Or the driver

Hey, there nothing wrong with my driving that a few "Dops" wouldn't cure!

Just for reference, I normally only get 18-21mpg when I use the 80 and I only use it for lanning etc. So the 25mpg figure was a bit of a surprise to me. Driving style also makes a huge difference to MPG, especially on the motorway.

Olazz said:
Well try as I may, lifted unloaded no roof rack, 35's(315/75/16) - manual and I can only manage 600kms per 90ltr that is 18mpg! 12v '92.

That's with the cruise set @ 100kph. thats pretty crap really

So what are you guys all feeding your trucks to get 25mpg???
'Lazz, I think in your case stock gearing and very oversize tyres is making the engine labour at low rpm....

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If you want to go for economy, don't use your cruise control.

Cruise tries to slow you down hill and speed you up going up hill which is bad for economy and the opposite to what happens when you drive normally.

Also try to keep below 65-70mph, as you go above this the fantastic aerodynamics starts to have a massive effect on economy

Julian Voelcker said:
Also try to keep below 65-70mph, as you go above this the fantastic aerodynamics starts to have a massive effect on economy

Don't i know it
As the OP of this thread i can safely say going above the the speeds Julian has said really reduces your MPG

500+ miles from 1 tank at 60mph
Down to 330 miles from 1 tank sat at 80/90mph (just wanted to get home)

And since i did the 500 miles it's been better on fuel . Blanked EGR , cleaned inlet manifold , and running 2stroke with the fuel , aswel as several injector cleaners over the past 5 full tanks ,

Been averaging 28 mpg round town

Oh and just realised all this with low pressures in tyres 32psi

I have never really checked my miles per gallon but last year I returned from a 30000mile round trip to Magadan via most of the 'Stans' and the total spend on diesel equated to 30mpg!

I have a 24v intercooled, with the EGR removed. I also spent £300+ with 'diesel Bob' to set up the fuel pump to match the increase boost and intercooler.
I have 285/75/16 AT BFG's front pressure was around 32psi and the rear at 35psi.
Standard exhaust.
Distance traveled ranged from 50miles driving 8+hours to 500miles driving 8+ hours from sea level to 4000+meters.

I did noticed that the tire shoulders have started to wear with a distinct shape, this I put down to the deep deep troughs you drive in on most of the russian & the 'Stan' countries tarmac roads. Maybe that is down to having the tire pressures too soft?

Stephen

forgot to add the 330miles on one tank was with a roof box , 3kids and SWMBO and a very full boot

Thought I'd give an update as after some post fuel pump twiddling my 80 has a taste for accelaration at last. Its an early auto IHD TD on Michelin LTX's so road biassed tyres.

I've done 3 tankfulls on this set up, mostly cruising up & down motorways at 60mph. Been as eco as possible with a couple of hundred miles of towing a race car behind thrown in as well.

Range & MPG or L/100km has been very consistent

Range:From 720-740km on the fuel light (441m-453m)
Fuel: 73-78L (16-17gallons)

Averaging just over 26mpg including the towing miles.

I've been especially anal about eco driving it as currently it's my only road car! I normally have an eco miser in the fleet but I sold the last one.

Back