Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

500+ miles from 1 fill up

• Thread starter LandCruiser1978
  • Start date
L

LandCruiser1978

Just got back from spending newyear with my parents

I decided i was gonna try and get to there house and back home on 1 tank

so off i set at 64mph on cruise all the way to cardiff (was in no rush )
did some running around whilst down there and then
yeterday got on the motorway and set the cruise again to come home..

Result 501 miles from 1 tank full and fuel light still not on
refilled today and got 79.9 litres in her . or 17.57 Gallons

If my workings out are correct thats 28.5 MPG

Now when i fill her up i always brim the filler neck
i reckon filler neck must hold 4/5litres

So if it was full and i ran the fuel low i think getting 600miles from 1 tank is very likely

Now i know people say how boring driving at that sort of speed is but all i'll say is when i got to my destinations i was fully relaxed and at no point during the journey did i feel stressed... it was lovely

Has anyone else ever had that kind of mileage from 1 tank ?

I reckon i could easily acheive 30+MPG because for the journey to my parents i had lots of electrical items switched on both heated seats , heated screen , lights , wipers , radio , rear heaters ,
also had 5 people and a boot full of lugage

And that was in your 4.2 80 series manual? :shock:

What tyres were you running and at what pressure?

Blimey, time to chop in the auto. :cry:

Chris

I think they are 285/75/16 not sure on pressure i think 35psi
yup 1996 4.2 td 24v manual with 181k
vx 8 seater with leather so nice and heavy

Most i ever had was 545 miles.
dino diesel and acetone & a shot of two stroke
chopped exhaust in half

can still squeeze 475 - 500 now on a long run but running on 75%+ bio diesel so its down a bit
add 150 ml acetone per tank
300 ml pure gum turpentine
have an HHO unit (too small though to be ideal for this BIG lump but still helps)

2 inch OME lift
alloy front bar
1994 12v manual
bfg at 275/65 @ 37 psi
more than 160k miles

I used to get exactly the same mpg from my 1995 24v as you 28/29 mpg but now it's gone down to 26 mpg. What fuel did you use? Mine has done 130,000 miles with no maintenance to the fuel system apart from filter. How about yours ?

Frank

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Very good going :thumbup:
geordie_boy1978 said:
I think they are 285/75/16
I presume the 500 miles are unadjusted? Obviously with the 285s you do around 3% more miles than indicated (versus 275 OEM size) So you were nearer 515 miles :ugeek:

frank rabbets said:
I used to get exactly the same mpg from my 1995 24v as you 28/29 mpg but now it's gone down to 26 mpg. What fuel did you use? Mine has done 130,000 miles with no maintenance to the fuel system apart from filter. How about yours ?

Frank

Frank it's most likely the fuel. It's no where near what it was in terms of quality versus 10 years ago When Paul went to Russia in his 24 the further east the went the higher the mpg got so I guess the diesel there is better quality.

I have got over 26mpg from mine once, fully loaded up with roof tent, 50mm lift and all. Was a very dull experience but at least is saved some cash...

At that speed my 12V auto gave me 27mpg with no cruise control, mind you that was on nearly new BFG A/T 12 years ago. It might achieve that again now I have new injectors fitted. My 24V GS averaged 25mpg all the time I ran it through summer but the only time it went on a long run was to trailer another cruiser back from Plymouth (600 mile round trip) it did 18.8 mpg (about 1 mpg more than the auto would have done).
just to add my 10p worth.

Andy :thumbup:

I can squeeze 650km (400m) to the light on my 4.2 TD Auto on a regular run at similar speeds. I even get 550km towing a 2.5 ton trailer. On 275/70/16's Michelins.

My previous 12V Manual would do 550m driving out to the Nurbugring, that one was for some reason super eco on a regular basis.

I can get about 560 miles out of a fill up if I take it really easy ... so long as I fill both tanks :lol:

geo-smc said:
OMG,,,the best i have ever had was 17MPG
Me thinks it's time you changed those diving boots for a pair of trainers ;)

My 1993 80 4.2td auto fully loaded and with roof tent, 285/75/16 tyres & far too much [strike:n5km7e5u]sh*t[/strike:n5km7e5u] equipment on a recent trip of 12800 miles we averaged 18mpg, which was 1 mpg less than I budgeted for, I never exceeded 100kmh at any point but parts of my journey were hard going over some extremely high mountain regions ( the likes of Shap & Beatock to me are now just slight inclines) & some very poor & unmade roads. One thing that really amazed me was over the Ethiopian Highlands which had very thin air & with what I assumed to be low quality fuel the MPG actually increased slightly.

frank rabbets said:

Frank

If i'm being honest Frank i've owned it 6 months and never touched under the bonnet , (other than checking the oil and water ) It had been serviced and belted not long before i took possesion. To my knowledge the fuel system has never been touched other than than filter changes

And as for fuel i like my CLUB CARD POINTS so only ever fill up at tesco

Going in for oil change this week tho .

I can eak 21 out of my auto on 285 ATs. But generally more like 19 and a bit. Generally happy enough (ha ha) with that. But it does seem that the manual is an extraordinary beast.

Chris

For comparison of pence per mile, I cruised at 60mph with my trailer on the back (can't be more than about 350kg) to fetch Gary's bumper the other weekend and recorded 13.5mpg on 65.2ppl LPG which kept the fuel bill down for him :) Without the trailer it would have been much more expensive :mrgreen:

I average 20mpg but as my son(8yo) says I drive it like im on Grand theft auto. :lol: Thats on 33"s and auto with the speedo reading true with the sat nav.

Back