Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

5G, Smart meters and the 'Internet of Things'

Well the ones being installed now don't have 5G transmitters, so no, they never will. There will be far more 5G phones than smart meters.
Ok, that figures as we haven't had 5G rolled out in the UK yet or at least I don't know that we have. If that's the case, how do the smart meters communicate then, and what communicates with them and how?

Ok, that figures as we haven't had 5G rolled out in the UK yet or at least I don't know that we have. If that's the case, how do the smart meters communicate then, and what communicates with them and how?

Just regular mobile phone tech. My mother was supposed to have one fitted. Engineer turned up, tested signal, it was too weak, so drove off.

5G is just what we have now operating at higher frequency, which allows for much more data to be transferred.

Looks like she dodged the bullet there then. :)
So has 5G had any independent trials to see if it's actually safe like the theory assumes?

Looks like she dodged the bullet there then. :)
So has 5G had any independent trials to see if it's actually safe like the theory assumes?

Lots of EMR trials, and EMR is slightly dodgy. But nothing like as dodgy as bacon, for instance. There's supposed to be a specific 5G report out any time now from New Zealand I think. Hard to have had much sooner because the tech is so new and the trials are generally bombarding rats with representative radiation levels for a couple of years and then looking for tumours.

Like this…

What's so bad about bacon?

Like this…

What's so bad about bacon?[/QUOTE

Much higher correlation between bacon consumption and cancer, than EMR and cancer. But that's not to suggest w shouldn't worry about EMR, just that we should worry more about bacon
Like this…

What's so bad about bacon?

Thanks for that, I'll have a proper look later.

Bacon is regarded as a category 1 carcinogen by the WHO. I think EMR is cat 2 or lower. I can dig detail out later. We're not talking about 1 sarnie a week and you'll die next year, but the incidence is significant, and more significant than EMR. All of these things are down to dose and the rat trials usually focus on 10 minute bursts in close proximity. Need to look at that link to see how that study was carried out and if they have tried to extrapolate for more common exposure levels and proximity. All a question of perspective, we shouldn't dismiss any carcinogens but need to compare to all those we already know about and see where to focus concern, I think.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I'm no expert by any means and will not put myself out there as being so. But sure 5g is short wave and from what I've understand it pulses at 1 billion waves per second. Does that sound safe for humanity and all inhabitants on earth including plant form? It's unnatural for sure.

I used to be a so called smart phone addict, always looking at it. When I made a long phone call I used to get a pain in my wrist.... stopped using my phone and don't get a pain in my wrist. That says enough for me not to be "hanging on the telephone!"

As it's short wave then it seems that there'll be chain effect of transmitters on every street corner a bit like a tapeworm or a chain. So it's likely that a person living in the area will be immersed in a billion waves per second where ever you are in a built up space.

This is all untested and isn't it funny that the board that will approve the 5g system as being safe are the people who have devised and are pushing out the band!

I don't think that it's good at all and that's it! Good thread and it's important that people are aware of what is being rolled out!

All the best Iwan

I'm no expert by any means and will not put myself out there as being so. But sure 5g is short wave and from what I've understand it pulses at 1 billion waves per second. Does that sound safe for humanity and all inhabitants on earth including plant form? It's unnatural for sure.

Does a big number sound natural? 5G is up to (about) 15GHz, so 15 billion waves/second. A big number.

So 400000GHz would be really unnatural? Like the highest frequency sunlight is?

I worry it's easy to create hugely over simplified stories to push sentiment either way. Like other, recent, complex events.

I also worry, no, I find it abhorrent that vested interests can produce whatever information or disinformation best suits their agenda in order to make billions of £ or $ at the expense of individuals.

Last edited:
Still doesn't mean that it's safe Rob. There's not enough independent trials and long term tests to prove safety to humanity.
I am fortunate enough not to live in a built up area that by the way it looks will be fully immersed by the 5g network.
Apologies for being 14 billion out! As I stated I'm clearly not an expert but I'll stand by my thoughts!

5G is also set to use the 60Ghz band which is 60 (short) billion cycles/sec. Visible light starts at around 400Thz which is 400 trillion cycles/sec. The bandwidth available in the visible light rage is huge, hence the massive data rates available with optical fibre. I don't get this paranoia about really high frequencies. Certainly , prolonged exposure to X-rays (much further up the spectrum anyway) is bad news but the power used in x ray photography is many times that which any of these new devices will be using. JMO

So, if I read this right, prolonged exposure to the Sun without any protection at all is…ok? Doesn't it burn? Even with the protection of the ozone layer and others like it?

It's the UV in sunlight that burns which is way up the spectrum from these proposed 5G devices, plus the Sun is radiating just a little bit more power.

What I dislike is the use of technology before it’s tested. We’re doing it already with mobile phones, and there will be no restrictions on that until a court decides that someone’s tumor was caused by their phone, which is ass backwards IMO.

These tumors take 10-15 years to develop, and 10-15 years of tests were simply not done.

Even so, we all (almost all) still use them, and what exactly is the threat, if there is one?

Is it the 4G microwaves powering the phones, or is it the way wireless devices paired to them work, or is it the device itself radiating the damaging waves?

Is wi-fi more dangerous than a SIM card or a hard-wire connection?

I’ve read lots, but with very little conclusions as to how the way one uses a mobile phone can be made safer.

One woman had a tumor in her breast (allegedly) because she kept her phone in her bra. A guy had a tumor in his salaiva glands (allegedly) because of holding his mobile phone to his ear. Both were described as “heavy” users.

But what about more casual users, like me, and are we in danger for carrying our phones in pockets or a belt holder?

Would we be safer carrying our phones in a bag away from our bodies?

Should we avoid Bluetooth devices? Are they safer or less safe than the phone device or the waves surrounding us all, 24/7?

Nobody addresses these questions with clarity, and let’s face it, we’re all well into 15 years of usage by now, even so there don’t seem to be any answers yet.

Will next year, or the year after, be the year that everyone breaks out with a tumor?

And all this is about the existing situation, let alone 5G, which seems to be on its steam-roller way across the globe.

As said, I love and embrace this technology, I have Bluetooth headphones and ear pieces, and I’m pleased (up to now) to be getting my 9 year old daughter devices too.

Further development of it will be potentially incredible.

But, the BUT is huge, if we all drop down dead (or as good as) as a consequence.

This guy seems to know a bit about what's at the heart of this. Barry Trower. What he has to say could (should?) have every father pulling out their wifi.

This guy seems to know a bit about what's at the heart of this. Barry Trower. What he has to say could (should?) have every father pulling out their wifi.

My God that is frightening, about three years ago I was diagnosed with severe chronic damage to my kidneys, and as a type this I am sitting next to my WiFi transmitter, now what effect if any has that had on my problem, I shall get on to google.

I would not believe a word of wat this guy is saying. Only got about 5 min in... but there is some serious quackery going on.

Anyway if you are worried about wifi, you.may want to just stay home and never actually step out of your house. The 12cm band is where a substantial part of comic radiation exists.

Your mobile phone is likely going to cook you long before wifi does. If there is evidence to the contrary, would be keen to see it.

I would not believe a word of wat this guy is saying. Only got about 5 min in... but there is some serious quackery going on.

Anyway if you are worried about wifi, you.may want to just stay home and never actually step out of your house. The 12cm band is where a substantial part of comic radiation exists.

Your mobile phone is likely going to cook you long before wifi does. If there is evidence

I'm interested to know what makes you say not to believe him KB. What is considered 'quackery'.

Isn't cosmic radiation infinitesimally low in power and transmitted from far away? Rather than the pretty low power from a wifi device that is often held at chest level just inches away from the body.

A quick Google reveals much attributed to him, including this article from Canada. http://www.emfandhealth.com/Barrie WiFi2.html . I've looked at this and tried to find any substance behind the rather obvious bias against Barry Trower and can only do far find an article claiming he's not a university teacher or scientist (neither of which he claims to be) and that they couldn't find anything on his claimed military background. Which doesn't really surprise me as the military don't go publicising these things. He does seem to have quite a few papers attributed to him and is now touring the world giving talks and lectures about the dangers of wifi and other EMR, for which, it is claimed, he doesn't charge. So why would he do that?

My God that is frightening, about three years ago I was diagnosed with severe chronic damage to my kidneys, and as a type this I am sitting next to my WiFi transmitter, now what effect if any has that had on my problem, I shall get on to google.

And I've just realised I sit with mine on the same level and no more than 2 foot from my head. And I've been complaining of short term memory loss for some time and attributing this to being under anaesthetic during an operation. I think I'll move it or my seat.

Back