Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

5th time broken front and rear diff

chris lc90

hallo guys,
i want to share with you some things and if its possible to discuss your options and your opinions..
i broke at the same time front and rear crown and pinion..
the rear crown (8") not have a whole tooth from 43..
the pinion had 3 teeth broken
( locked with ARB during accident)
the front crown had smaller damage..
but my question is ..it normal to brake crown and pinion before JOINT , FRONT DRIVE INBOARD & OUTBOARD and the shaft differential side gear ?
(the front locker wasnt locked during accident)
some photos from the rear diff
untitled_zps88087cf3.jpg

untitled_zps81b0aa9d.jpg

untitled_zpsc539ae48.jpg

untitled_zps468ebecd.jpg

DSC06944_zpsb400f2f4.jpg

DSC06943_zps43065255.jpg

DSC06942_zps651c307a.jpg

DSC06941_zpse0c77691.jpg

DSC06940_zps935e5372.jpg

DSC06939_zpsfd21f5be.jpg

DSC06937_zps08539b43.jpg

DSC06936_zps999dc152.jpg

some more from the arb carrier (some scratches) and the inner space ..and the ball bearing round area
DSC06967_zpsc83ca638.jpg

DSC06966_zps4588f187.jpg

DSC06965_zpsc59936ca.jpg

DSC06963_zpsa5f50563.jpg

DSC06962_zps1179fd6e.jpg

DSC06961_zpsdab95f92.jpg

DSC06960_zps7fe80f4f.jpg

DSC06959_zps13a86eb3.jpg

DSC06958_zpsbb061328.jpg

DSC06957_zpsf876ca8b.jpg

DSC06956_zps9e4ff092.jpg

DSC06955_zpsea5de2eb.jpg

DSC06954_zpsfed23b8e.jpg

DSC06953_zpsad85e6f5.jpg

DSC06952_zpsedc676d1.jpg

DSC06951_zps8bb82daf.jpg

DSC06945_zpsa432f6e2.jpg

what were you doing when this happened? Without knowing how you drive the car it's hard to say if this it to be expected or not. Some people are just very good at breaking things! How confident are you that the diffs were built right?

Watched your video (you posted while I was writing my post), doesn't look like anything that should be breaking diffs. It sounded like something broke on your first attempt unless that was background noise and then giving it some gas finished the job off.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
No way did the video show what broke your diff , it was either damaged before the video and just gave up at that particular moment or there was something left inside last time it was rebuilt which has been breaking off teeth on cogs and working its way through until it reached the bottom for ages . My bets on the second guess . Unless you drove it home after it gave up with the diff still engaged letting the broken bit rattle around jamming and chewing up everything else ?

Last edited:
what were you doing when this happened? Without knowing how you drive the car it's hard to say if this it to be expected or not. Some people are just very good at breaking things! How confident are you that the diffs were built right?

few people saw the crown and they said that the installation was good..
the car weights at the broken momment 2800 kg ..
and had 235/85/16 malatesta cayman tyres (33") this means 10 kg more per shaft..but i wonder the 8" toyota rear crown its not enough for all this load?
and also ...about the front diff why broke directly the crown and not the previous parts?

Watched your video (you posted while I was writing my post), doesn't look like anything that should be breaking diffs. It sounded like something broke on your first attempt unless that was background noise and then giving it some gas finished the job off.

you have right..itrs a backround noise.
at 0.16 sec you ll hear the noise of locking the rear arb (compressor) and after this go a little back to take the position and at 0.25 sec i start the effort
at 0.27 the front shaft lifted to the air and after this hear the noise from the broken diff..

No way did the video show what broke your diff , it was either damaged before the video and just gave up at that particular moment or there was something left inside last time it was rebuilt which has been breaking off teeth on cogs and working its way through until it reached the bottom for ages . My bets on the second guess . Unless you drove it home after it gave up with the diff still engaged letting the broken bit rattle around jamming and chewing up everything else ?
after recovery from the 2 jeeps..coming truck assistance so ..lc went directly to the garage without drove it.

Something has to be wrong with the way you are installing it for this to be the 5th time you've broken the Diffs? From that video you don't seem to be putting a lot of pressure or working the vehicle hard.

Loads of people run 33" tyres without a problem, so I cant see that being the problem, although it will theoretically put a little more strain on the drive shaft components.

I had a look at the tyres you are running, as well as each being 10kg heavier, they are a pretty aggressive tread pattern. All the stress has to go somewhere, so I guess the diffs are taking all the punishmant.

Either that, or there is a fitting issue.

Without reading your old posts - what replacement diffs are you using - toyota?

It doesnt look that bad an obstacle - although if the wheels had been able to slip a little then that may have saved the diffs?

The other option is driving style, did the diffs need locking. I'm just wondering if attempting it in 4L without the diffs locked would have been possible? Just thinking aloud. With my old LJ78 which was part time 4wd, if you selected 4H and locked the hubs you would get axle wind up on a hard surface, could this be a similar issue, too much grip? Ignore if thats a numpty thought, I wont pretend great knowledge of diifs!

Nice looking course though, and whilst not a great linguist, the crowd sounds like the usual helpful bunch - did I hear the word 'bateaux' mentioned?

Pete

I reckon Pete has probably hit the nail on the head . Diffs are only meant to be used as a last resort and a two wheel drive vehicle might have cleared that obsticle . Do you just engage the diffs the minute you go off road and leave them engaged until your return to tarmac ? If so whenever your driving with good grip youv'e got a 2 tonne truck and 100 plus horse power applying contradicting pressure to the cogs ..... OUCH !

Back