Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

60 series build

well, here it is, finished!!!
yahoo.gif
well, not really, never finished!! next jobs, once I have paid for this lot, in no particular order are: rebuild gearbox, replace front seats, probably with Saab items, fit block heater, rack out inside, sort out door cards and interior (door cards have holes in where electric window switches used to be), get some underbody protection.

IMG_4509modded_zps558c789b.jpg

IMG_4485modded_zps6eb6fd56.jpg

IMG_4504modded_zps66c6971b.jpg

IMG_4511_zps84c4fff8.jpg

IMG_4516_zps2f85c6b4.jpg

Here's the foxwing extended out. good second hand buy from a member on here:thumbup:. not got the poles in, guy ropes or tensioning strap so looks a bit baggy, but you get the idea.

IMG_4533_zpsc8b83426.jpg

IMG_4528_zps8eed7c06.jpg

IMG_4526_zpse8042b67.jpg

what rack do you have on that? looks very good is it going to lincomb?

This is the rear load area. These are two explorer boxes I managed to pick up for a good price, they will be mounted in a wood frame, which will then be extended upto roof height to take other cases, equipment and, when I can afford it, a fridge (they are chuffiin expensive!!)

IMG_4536_zps1e7ebd7e.jpg

without the cases in you can see the rear load restraint, custom made by the garage, and a nice job I must say. You can also see the new rear seats, more on those below!!

IMG_4540_zpsf5b2f597.jpg

You can also see the fibreglass side panels which have replaced the rear windows, this improves security, and gives a useful bit of storage.

IMG_4538_zpsddcbaf83.jpg

In the back, I have fitted a pair of Hilux front seats for the kids. These are what you might call an interference fit!! Although I have retained the original seatbelts, these also have racing harnesses fitted so when I go off road the kids don't get thrown about too much.

IMG_4543_zps2baa4389.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
As standard the HJ60 comes with 24v everything, so the stereo has a 24-12v dropper mounted underneath it. now we have a dedicated 12v dropper this was removed and the space utilised for the control switches for spots, lockers, compressor etc

IMG_4519_zps380035db.jpg

[FONT=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I stuck an extra set of legends on as with the lights on the ones the garage stuck on disappear!!

[/FONT]IMG_4520_zps68f5f338.jpg

The 3 left hand bulbs are too bright at night time so I will have to try and get hold of some dimmer ones, preferably the same as the left hand three.

The underbonnet stuff you have already seen, but a test drive showed that it all got a bit warm, so we have fitted a heat shield. It amused the mechanic no end, as he is a landy owner and the garage is Waveney Landrover that this was a Landrover Part, with a Landrover stamp on it. As his boss said, it'll probably start pissing oil out now then!!

IMG_4547_zps722edae6.jpg

IMG_4546_zps5a6dcbdf.jpg

The long ranger tank is problematic, it hangs down a long way with a right angled leading edge. IT needs protecting before I go off road. It is complicated by the prop shaft, so will need a recess in the plate to accommodate it. It also didn't come with half the fixings it needed, which, as this is supposed to be a vehicle specific fit and given the cost was 'disappointing'!

In retrospect, I wouldn't do the longranger thing. I would have ordered an enlarged replacement for the original tank from someone like allytanks and relocated the spare wheel. I had a quote off allytanks for that and it was about the same price, it was only relocating the spare that put me off.

IMAG0532_zpsd7638182.jpg

IMAG0529_zps5da9d9a6.jpg

IMAG0531_zpsdb95a2eb.jpg

So, the spec and mods.

Body off bare metal restoration including NOS front wings, 4 NOS doors, NOS upper tailgate, replacement lower tailgate, various bits of chrome, rubber seals etc, new rear carpet. chassis blasted and painted in chip resistant chassis paint, all cavities waxoiled to within an inch of their life!!

Toyota Hilux front brake calipers and pads
ARB winch bar
Winchmax 13000lbs 24v winch
IPF auxillary lights
custom made rear bumper
ARB air lockers
ARB compressor with auxillary air tank and external airline plug
OME heavy duty suspension, giving approx 50mm lift
longranger fuel tank
GRP side panels for rear windows
custom rear load restraint
Upracks roof rack
Foxwing
235/85x16 tyres on 8x16 rims with -33mm offset
4.1 diffs to compensate for tyres
24-12V dropper
12v and 24v accessories seperately fused through secondary fuse boxes
convert from electric windows to manual.
remove central locking
Toyota Hilux front seats in the rear
modified land rover 110 rock sliders
racing harnesses to the rear
'security items'!

Huge thanks are due to Simon Holton from Steven Eagle Toyota, for service above and beyond, Maarten at LL landcruisers for the supply of many of the parts and to our very own Andy Lomas for the supply of numerous hard to get bits from his extensive collection, and knowledge, also from his extensive collection and for his time from his not so extensive collection, top bloke!!
:thumbup:

Last edited:
what rack do you have on that? looks very good is it going to lincomb?

it's an upracks rack. the base price is pretty good, although the accessories are pricey (which is why I haven't got any!!)

No shows at the moment, too busy working to pay for the rebuild!!:cry:

Last edited:
Looks amazing!! I am very impressed.

I like the idea of those fibreglass side panels, were they custom made or off the shelf, and do you think they would fit an 80 or be able to be modded?

Thanks, they do have them for 80's but at £251 + P&P, a bit more than I would like to spend, But thanks anyway.

Lovely looking truck moggy, you must bewell pleased with the result. It reminds me of one an old boss had I used to work for back when they were quite new, I always liked them:icon-cool:

Heers, Mark

Hi Moggy that is one. Cool Cruiser good job love it tonytoyota.:thumbup:

That 60 is looking great :clap: you must be very pleased indeed. We need to see her in the flesh, if you can come along to Lincomb on the 7th & 8th of June, its not a show, its a club meet and all the family are welcome. You don't have risk your vehicle doing anything that your not happy to drive, the farm run is normally easily passable by standard Land Cruisers, so don't be apprehensive about risking your pride and joy. Personally I don''t think you'll get out of the camp ground for the crow of admirers!!!

Be cautious having the Foxwing opened out and not supported, they are very vulnerable to the wind when in this state, a small gust of wind can break the cast knuckles at the pivot point. If theres any wind at all when deploying the Foxwing its recommended that two people erect it, one to peg and guy the first pole, while the second holds and supports the remaining wings/poles. The manufacturer rapidly issued a revised user guide after wind broke some of the first Foxwings to make it into public hands.

Top marks for saving what is a rare Land Cruiser in the UK, its a credit to you and the guys who worked on her. You must be grinning like a Cheshire cat when your cruising down the road!

Glad you finally got it back to drive it. Looking very nice, great colour too:thumbup:

Awesome build! :clap:

Looks great. :thumbup:

Back