Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

60 series engine swap for 1HDT engine with auto box

Del boy

Country Flag
ireland
Hi

I'm just about to embark on my latest project renovating a 1989 60 series , I have pretty much decided I would like to swap out the original engine and manual gearbox for the 4.2 ltr with auto transmission from the 1990- 1995 80 series , I've had a quick look around the internet and drawing blanks , just wondering of anyone out there has something or can point me in the right direction? I'm based in Dublin, Ireland

This is going to be interesting… will be following up your progress reports.

I’m planning something similar but want to use a 80 series chassis and axles and FT engine manual box with a 60 body

I wanted to keep the leaf springs from the 60 , other than that there no big difference in the frame , I just want a bit of comfort and more power, I plan to keep this project as my day driver so need some level of comfort

I'm just at the end of renovating a 70 series SWB including 1KZTE engine swap , unlike above this was an after thought as the body was back on , my plan for the 60 project above will involve a full body off restoration which gives me the opportunity to drop in the engine and transmission in order make any alterations

I'm already thinking of a plan B as its looking like hens teeth for an engine and trans .

Recently saw a reconditioned engine in the bay which looked nice. Not sure if its still there?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks Ben, They seem all to be HDTE, straight forward mechanical if it’s possible

I'm already thinking of a plan B as its looking like hens teeth for an engine and trans .

I know of a 1HDT engine and autobox coming available September time which won't be wallet busting. PM me.

I know of a 1HDT engine and autobox coming available September time which won't be wallet busting. PM me.
Hi

I'm just about to embark on my latest project renovating a 1989 60 series , I have pretty much decided I would like to swap out the original engine and manual gearbox for the 4.2 ltr with auto transmission from the 1990- 1995 80 series , I've had a quick look around the internet and drawing blanks , just wondering of anyone out there has something or can point me in the right direction? I'm based in Dublin, Ireland
Hi or you selling the engine and gearbox out of the hj60 and wot cost thanks Tony

Look up mckinnons cruisers, he's done all sorts of engine and chassis swaps.
Must catch up with you as om in Dublin too and just bought a 60 last weekend.

Hi

Intresting enough, this is the engine i have on my 60 but with the old 5 manual gearbox (the one that came with the 2F). This was done by the previous owner.

I am in touch with the mechanic who did the conversion, not sure if I can help but let me know if you have questions i can ask and revert back to you.

btw the 1HDT with manual is a fun machine to drive (I think i have far too much torque with the old manual gearbox and the slower gearing in the axles.) At some point i should swap to the 1HDT gearbox for a more balance drive / speed (the gears are far too close, dont even need to use first gear 2nd is more than plenty .... even got it moving on 5th for a silly trial :D )

Back