Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

70 Series from Japan

austinlb

Country Flag
united_states
80 Series owner here who is looking to gauge interest in the Japan offering of the re-release of the 70 Series. I have contacts in Japan that might make this worthwhile. BLUF: is anyone interested in purchasing a right hand drive 70 Series?

Trouble is there all petrols. :thumbdown:

Great in the USA where petrol is considerably cheaper than Europe, but there wont be many buyers wanting petrol 70's outside of the USA or UAE which are both left hand drive countries anyway.

So I imagine if some one really wants a right hand drive 70 they would get it out of Australia or South Africa, both of which have diesels 70's. :think:

Last edited:
Wow, I just read a few days ago about the 70 Series re-release and thought I'd try to find if there's a way of getting one of them state side. Glad I stumbled upon your post. I am interested but would need to go over pricing and time line. Are they all RHD?

Nate

Last edited:
There may be a way to order one in Japan and spec it as LHD instead of RHD and delivered to your local Toyota dealer for collection,
I suggest that as know of some one who orders his lame rovers like that from a dealer in Belgium, cheaper than buying them in the UK and no waiting time as well.
Just an idea but good luck and let us know what happens ;)

Last edited:
hi all
i can get LHD 70 series from germany petrol or euroV diesel with uk reg etc
it is almost impossible to import a new RHD into the uk, be it from south africa, australia or wherever due to restrictions placed by toyota, but no problems with LHD
there maybe simliar restrictions in the US, worth looking into tho
stan

I was under the impression that you cant import into the US unless its over 20/25 years old. :think:

Its a real shame the US have never had the 70 series. :thumbdown:

Can you imagine all the after market accessories and cool parts wed have now if they did. You only have to look at some of the seriously cool Jeep parts available to see the sort of stuff that would no doubt be available. :think:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Is it just me wondering if OP and post 3 are the same person?

:think:

Stan, when you say almost impossible to get a RHD new 70 into the UK do you mean that it is possible? If so how?

from what i have found out so far i believe it is not possible to get a new one, but i am looking into other ways to do it..
i can get LHD and if the intention is to travel this would be better... before LHD is dismissed come and ahve a drive in it..!

There are companies in europe that sell series 70 , mainly to ONG organizations , you can have them LHD, RHD, petrol OR diesel.
no problem, but they are not cheap, aprox 50.000 €.
most of the time they are even ready in stock.
they don't go through the normale Toyota dealers .
They will sell the car as second hand with 0 km on the clock.

Renago

Is it just me wondering if OP and post 3 are the same person?

:think:
Post 3? You mean me? I just joined this forum... and only because I saw on Autoblog.com that Toyota is making the 70th aniv edition of the LC70. It's such an extremely rare vehicle here in the states it seems like it would be super difficult to find parts in the US in the event of a breakdown.

I am very curious about total the cost of getting state side either a new anniversary edition LC70 or a lightly used LHD diesel LC70.

Short answer is that unless the manufacturer has obtained US type approval you cant import one until its 25 years old.

Sadly, the 70 Series isnt approved.

Exemptions are for display purposes, but the us govt did a big crackdown on that about 3 months ago, seized and crushed about 70 landrovers.

My original comment related to the tactic used by spammers of posting a want/sale ad. As their first, and often only, post.

They then follow this up with a second post by 'someone else' apparently expressing an interest. Again, this is the first and only post from this person.

I guess the theory is that this makes it more likely others will become interested as well.

No offence meant, if you're a real person into landcruisers then you are welcome here....

Thanks, I'm glad I'm not a bot/spammer... haha. I do love Land Cruisers.

Back