Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 Oil filter removal tool

Bat21

Supporter
Country Flag
morocco
I've probably done 6/8 oil and filter changes on the 80 in the last 4 years with no problems. But the last service the oil filter decided to be a right b'stard to remove with the band type tool I have had for many years.

Where can I get the correct filter removal tool from? All the ones on eBay seem to be for 64mm filters, the 80 filter is approximately 97mm.

Mine is similar to that, it's a steele band type with a handle to do the twisting.... ended up having to weld a 17mm nut onto it so I could use a ratchet to twist it off.

Would much prefer the right tool for next time.

Yeh the strap one that Phill links to is the dogs dangies, never had a failure with mine.

toyota do the special tool i can get the part number when i get time

http://www.landcruiserclub.net/foru...il-filter-tool?p=273929&viewfull=1#post273929
media.nl?id=39291&c=317638&h=6e7fa14c384e4f44402a.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yeh the strap one that Phill links to is the dogs dangies, never had a failure with mine.
I have had issues with the strap type in the past.
toyota do the special tool i can get the part number when i get time
Would be interested to know how much Mr T would want for one.
If the Toyota one is stoooopidly expensive, I might just go for one one these :thumbup:

Drill a hole through the side of a redundant long style socket ( I used a 10mm spark plug 3/8 drive). Thread through a length of cycle chain and re-rivet for complete loop and bingo, a chain type filter removal tool that has never failed.

Roger

I've got this one! Works a peach and access is directly over the top of the filter, great on the 80.

That's what I use, works a treat on all manner of filters, have had problems with getting the strap type in ( especially on my boat engine), and this 3 legged type has always saved the day.

Andy

From a purely engineering point of view, the 3 prong type of removal tool is liable to distort as more pressure is applied. This would reduce the contact area between the prongs and the filter. On the other hand, the chain type tool cannot distort and applies pressure over a much greater area.

It's also a lot cheaper.

Machine Mart have them for about a fiver.

Or you can make your own.

Roger

Which tool works depends also on the available space around your filter, but the type of strap/chain described by Roger, 5 posts up, will fit in most cases where the 3-prong type fits.
I have tried different types, but the easiest, fastest and safest has turned out to be the 3-prong type. It will compress the filter a bit if it's stuck, but always gets the filter out without puncturing, and that's the whole idea. When tightening 3/4 turn after contact, it doesn't compress the filter; not by a detectable amount that is.

Which tool works depends also on the available space around your filter, but the type of strap/chain described by Roger, 5 posts up, will fit in most cases where the 3-prong type fits.
I have tried different types, but the easiest, fastest and safest has turned out to be the 3-prong type. It will compress the filter a bit if it's stuck, but always gets the filter out without puncturing, and that's the whole idea. When tightening 3/4 turn after contact, it doesn't compress the filter; not by a detectable amount that is.

No filter manufacturer will condone the use of a tool to tighten an oil filter.

Purely by hand please.

Roger

No filter manufacturer will condone the use of a tool to tighten an oil filter.

Purely by hand please.

Roger
Well, Toyota, or Denso, does. The instructions printed on the OEM filter are: "Tighten the filter 3/4 of a turn with the designated tool"

Besides, on the 100, it's not easy to get a good grip on the filter (or I am too weak), so the easy way out is to use this tool. It's dangling there at the end of the 3/8" or 1/2" drive extension - just put it over the top of the filter and count three quarter-turns.

No problems with hand tightening here, but then I have a certain mechanical advantage in that respect :whistle:

Well, Toyota, or Denso, does. The instructions printed on the OEM filter are: "Tighten the filter 3/4 of a turn with the designated tool"

Besides, on the 100, it's not easy to get a good grip on the filter (or I am too weak), so the easy way out is to use this tool. It's dangling there at the end of the 3/8" or 1/2" drive extension - just put it over the top of the filter and count three quarter-turns.

OK, let me put it another way. No filter manufacturer will condone the use of a filter tool that uses any form of "crush" to reseat the filter. The OE tool---SST 09228-10001---locks onto the filter in much the same way as a socket onto a nut. The problem is that it's one size only.

Roger

I've probably done 6/8 oil and filter changes on the 80 in the last 4 years with no problems. But the last service the oil filter decided to be a right b'stard to remove with the band type tool I have had for many years.

Where can I get the correct filter removal tool from? All the ones on eBay seem to be for 64mm filters, the 80 filter is approximately 97mm.

£45/£46? from Aus:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-GENUI...H-LARGE-FILTER-HZ-SERIES-ENGINE-/281110654058

~£39 (accept paypal)
http://www.teilexpress.de/product_info.php/info/p220669_09228-10002--OeLFILTERSCHLUeSSEL.html

I used to use the strap wrench type, which did work, but with a lot of effort and difficulty, and added risk of injury or damage to surrounding components. I hated it!
The price for the OEM tool was absurd (well only 27/30 more than some others already mentioned).... but I still got one (from teilexpress.de), and having used it once already, I'm glad I did.
If you're looking at (keeping your cruiser, and) 3 to 5K mile oil change intervals (with Filter), it's not such an absurd idea!
Other tools will be cheaper but not as simple and a complete joy to use!

IQ

Last edited:
£45/£46? from Aus:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-GENUI...H-LARGE-FILTER-HZ-SERIES-ENGINE-/281110654058

~£39 (accept paypal)
http://www.teilexpress.de/product_info.php/info/p220669_09228-10002--OeLFILTERSCHLUeSSEL.html

I used to use the strap wrench type, which did work, but with a lot of effort and difficulty, and added risk of injury or damage to surrounding components. I hated it!
The price for the OEM tool was absurd (well only 27/30 more than some others already mentioned).... but I still got one (from teilexpress.de), and having used it once already, I'm glad I did.
If you're looking at (keeping your cruiser, and) 3 to 5K mile oil change intervals (with Filter), it's not such an absurd idea!
Other tools will be cheaper but not as simple and a complete joy to use!

IQ

Yes, the other tools are a lot cheaper and they are also adaptable to various filter diameters. The Toyota tool is specific to a certain design and size and may not fit other manufactures filters.

The chain type, which I have used for many years both for business and private use, is simple and reliable. I have also used the Toyota type and found it to be not as reliable as the design leads to deformation, especially if damaged.

You have made your choice and I hope it works well for many years but you can't claim that it is the ultimate answer until you have tried all the others.

Roger

I like the chain style removal tall as well.

If you're stuck you can always use the old trick of hammering a large screw driver straight through the filter and using that as leverage. Not pretty but it's effective.

Back