Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 series 4.5 petrol power increase

jiffjaff

hi does anyone know of any tips on how to increase the power on my 80 series straight 6 cyl 4.5 petrol landcruiser please ?

Not 100 % but take a look on lcool - our Southern cousins are pretty good at all that and have had much experience with

I would have though a set of extractors and a bigger exhaust will give you an instant and worthwhile hit.

after that stick a supercharger on it.

Hey Jiffjaff,

The answer to your question really depends on how much money you want to spend.

As adrian said if you research the Oz, SA and yank forumns there is a fair bit of info around.

Your options are along the line of:

1. As adrian said a freeflow exhaust would free up some power coupled with Hi flow cats and a performance exhaust header. It would be worth replacing your O2 sensors while your at it to make sure everything is working optimally.

2. Have your enjectors cleaned out and serviced to make sure they are working properly.

3. Get hold of the guys at Unichip and see if they can sory out a chip for you. There SA and Oz counterparts (Dastek in SA produce their chips) do chips for the 1FZ-FE motor so no reason why they shouldn't be able to do it either. This would open the motor to more tuning capability on a Dyno.

4. Pull your cylinder head and have valves checked for clearences, gas flowed, possibly ported. Bigger valves while your there...

5. You could do the Landtank MAF mod on Ih8mud http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/162143-who-running-new-improved-maf-sensor.html The basis of this is a new more accurate toyota MAF sensor. LAst itme I checked Ebay they were going for about £30. But the main thing would be making up a new MAF sensor housing.

6. You could also just slap a supercharger on there and be done with it... for a couple of £k though.
or
7. Turbo charge it. There are guys in Oz getting 1000n.m out of these motors, but now your talking serious money.

TRD do (or did) a very nice supercharger for the 4500i. My GXL had a free-flow stainless exhaust and a Dastek chip and flew!! I'll post up the dyno printout tonight if I remember - interesting curve after the chip install!

Gary,

Did you have a Cat back system or did you replace the whole lot?

If so did you keep the cats?

Would love to see that Dyno sheet...

that was in sunny Cape Town, Ryan, so no cats on that - straight from the header, one small silencer in the middle then out the back - sounded awesome :)

And why is it when you want something you can't find it - Sorry, Ryan, the scan is not on my laptop - it's on my NAS at home :-( I'll dig it out and post it up when I go home next ...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Cool, no worries.

I'm due a new exhaust soon And am looking into loosing the cats if I can pass the emissions on LPG without them.

Did you find it made a big difference? Also did you have to do anything with the O2 sensors?

Didn't touch the sensors. And yep it made a difference - a couple of boy racers got a surprise when a big lifted truck spun all 4 wheels and dropped them at the robots :lol:

Didn't help the fuel consumption any though !! Or maybe that was due to my lead foot :lol:

Ryan, your truck will fail a MOT if you don't have a cat from January, regardless whether it passes emissions or not. :roll:

Hmmm...

So hypothetically if my cats were still there, whether they were doing anything or not, and I still pass the emmissions then I should be ok... no?

:lol:

Well if they were just there not connected to anything then I don't think they would come under the exhaust system section of the MOT :think:

Well, I'm not that rough... :shifty:

I'm thinking that if the Cats were an empty and a "free flowing" part of the Freeflow system I want to fit then... ;)

Would your truck pass on gas and no cat? If so, who's to say the bellow thing is not a cat?

Sent from TapaTalk

Ah, that's what you meant :oops: Well in that case I see no problem with that, as there is no way of telling if the cat has actually got anything inside, well apart from cutting it open...

Back