Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 series brake parts.

Cortooncowboy

Supporter
Country Flag
ireland
Hi guys, nearly finished my wagon and went to fit the rear brake dust covers I ordered from Dubai and got absolutely assaulted by customs just to discover the ones that came are for drum brakes and I have discs, just wondering is it possible to get new ones for rear disc brakes or good second hand ones, Also right hand Calipers front and rear, is there rebuild kits available? There is a lad selling new ones in ireland for about €70 each and they kind of sound too good to be true
Any advice?
On another note, anybody have a 80 series with rear drum brakes and want to buy dust covers!

Roughtrax and Milners sell new OEM and after market calipers for the 80. I refurbed my front calipers with these
Calliper Kit and also bought two new Febest branded rear calipers on Ebay and I would say they're pretty close to OEM quality wise and not that expensive at just under £70 each. You could try Amayama for the rear dust covers/shields.

Because their turbo worked well for my 90 series I'd not be worried at all about the quality of their calipers .

Thanks lads, I’m afraid tried to amayama for the dust covers , that’s where I got them for the front and rear but rears wer wrong and are showing out of stock/ discontinued now. Tried mega zip and partsequip too.
I think they are all taking out of the same pot!
Would repair kits be better or just buy new? I haven’t used repair kits but know plenty people have.?

I had a sticking rear calliper, plus the dust shields had rusted away, that's why I replaced them. The fronts didn't look good on the outside but the bores and pistons were fine so I went for a refurb with a new seal kit, banjo bolts and bleed nipples. The calliper bodies can be cleaned up easily but if the pistons a bores are corroded or scored then I think new callipers are in order. Repair kits are around £25, new front callipers are several times that.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If the vehicle is off the road then pull the calipers and push out the pistons, (easy if left on the vehicle with them and the pipes connected?, then check the pistons and inner bores for corrosion, brake fluid is hygroscopic and absorbs moisture which will work it's way down to the lowest point. If there is corrosion then replace the caliper, if not and funds are tight go to the rebuild kit.

Never use brake fluid from a container that has been opened and then left for awhile, there will be water in it already even if the lid is done up as the foil seal will have been broken.

Regards

Dave

Last edited:
Thanks for that, going inspecting Calipers properly later, budget is getting a bit tight for the minute!!

Back