Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 series gullwings rear windows

1, Starcruiser, £400, Matt black, this year.
2, Chris, £TBC, Matt black, now.

3, Charlie, but depends on price and design

Even getting a single one is expensive. I could manage only with the drivers side. Hey we could spilt a set. Although Id like both really. They are nice but I suspect even the Yanks think that's very expensive.

Look I make stuff so I know it's not as simple as it seems and people have to make money, but on this one I am struggling to see where the real cost is. There isn't much to them. Some thinking time, I'll grant you, but £800 per pair? Hmm. The actual materials - sheet, locks, hinge, seal and coating are the least of it.

Ok, this is to gauge opinion and give me an idea of whether or not this is viable. It is totally no obligation and could also be for one side rather than a pair, in which case state this in the list 'L' or 'R' as if the driver. If I get enough interest it means these can be machine cut and would be based on my 81 which has a fixed window and a gasket I can reuse. Sliding windows I believe need the fixed window gasket which I could source.

I need to get an idea of what people are prepared to pay which won't necessarily affect the final cost. I would do mine as a prototype and post plenty of pics but there's no point me having the CNC programming done for just me. Once I gauge opinion I can get estimates and go from there.

Sorry, anyone wanting them now is going to be disappointed, I would guess at 6-8 weeks minimum as these will need to be designed then prototyped then made professionally in a sheet metal shop. Hinges are also tricky but I have some on my radar.

Even getting a single one is expensive. I could manage only with the drivers side. Hey we could spilt a set. Although Id like both really. They are nice but I suspect even the Yanks think that's very expensive.

Look I make stuff so I know it's not as simple as it seems and people have to make money, but on this one I am struggling to see where the real cost is. There isn't much to them. Some thinking time, I'll grant you, but £800 per pair? Hmm. The actual materials - sheet, locks, hinge, seal and coating are the least of it.

Bit cheeky I know, but I did wonder whether Yodatec would be willing to share technical data (maybe on licence) on the premise that there's no real commercial threat from a UK company knocking a few up for the UK market only.

I've been keen on this idea for a long time too.

4, Grant, probably less than £400 but depends on design.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Me too Grant, it's something I've wanted for a long time too.

5, Chas, Give or take £300-£350 Black (Two catches would be more secure)

Star cruiser look at WDS ltd they do nice hinges for this and a company called http://stedall.co.uk/ for the handles they also do hinges.
good luck

6, kingtom (Tom) around £400 and black

6, kingtom (Tom) around £400 and black
David natural finish so can powder coat same as truck, need now

Southco are the people for locks. Not seen the other's that Stu suggests. But I collect these links as they always come in handy.

These flush latches are the sort of thing but they need to be a bit beefier, the adjusting bolt is key to making them easy to set up I think.

Screen Shot 2015-05-12 at 18.26.54.jpg

Steadles are the importer of these catches and supply most over companies in the country.

Couldn't find straddles but Southco looks interesting. There are a few options for latches. One being Bowden cable operated as well as electrically from inside with the option of an integrated light switch. This would allow for a blank hatch door with the advantage of no leaking through the latch and keeping the door plain looking so less chance of attempted entry. Would this (subject to cost) be deemed too complex for over landing? http://www.southco.com/en-us/r4-em-8

I wasn't considering this originally but I can see lots of advantages for what I was intending to do.

Looks like there's enough initial interest. I'll start the ball rolling.

They could be brilliant .. especially if it's possible to wire them into the central locking.

Ah, now I did think that but they would actually open the door and you would need to push it shut again. Not quite doable on the central locking but could easily be worked from a fob if required, I would probably do mine on a push button from inside but might consider a fob. There are numerous possibilities plus a cable override if all else failed. Easy options of one or two latches as required. Gotta find a price yet!

Last edited:
Personally, I'd say keep it simple, mechanical and as fail-safe as possible

Simple as possible for me

Yep, x whatever. Neat idea, but the point here is to be able to open the flap and access gear without having to open the tailgate, or the driver's door, or find your keys etc. Push, push swoosh. Perfect.

Gas Strut Engineering in Bedford have been superb on the tailgate struts too. Worth considering as a supplier for the ram. Mike Lacey's the chap.

Have to say it's bloody fantastic of you to be having a look at this. Just be a really nice option to have on the vehicle. I love the idea of the stealth door having no external parts, but it's not really necessary. The SouthCo ones come with gaskets so it says for external use.

Back