Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 series gullwings rear windows

Paddle latches are 165mm x 72mm which is the same length x 26mm taller than OEM door handles.

I agree but It's the best I can find, though I will need to mock it up on the template I have to see how it looks. There is one other option I have found that I'm looking into. Or the electric ones operated by an external switch or remote fob, but that's too much to go wrong for some (understandably).

Hmm. I think I might put this to a vote.

1, Non sealed compression latches as per the pic on this thread.
2, Sealed C5 compression latches as per my link a few posts ago that get sticky buttons.
3, car door handle type sealed paddle latch as per my link a few posts ago.

1, Starcruiser - 2 point lock, No3
2, Chas two No 2 C5

Not keen on the paddle latch at all. I appreciate what Stu says, but it's not like we actually LIVE in a desert.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thats was here Chris I used to look after about 250 buses and coaches. They didn't like the salt and road grit. I expect you would get a couple of years out of them and they are fairly cheap.
Stu

I'm with you but given that mine is garaged over winter I can't see it being a major problem at around 2k miles per annum

Whilst not wishing to stifle debate, shall we say that the hatches will by default be secured by two C5 sealed compression latches with latch-to-panel seals but no sealing covers, in black? Any deviation from this will be possible but at extra cost.

This has been useful for me as I'm now of the opinion that the paddle latch will be too big. I'll probably go for my original electric latch preference.

I'll order some latches in from Southco or similar. The C5s are probably the neatest and simplest option available.

Last edited:
Sounds good to me.

It's a yes from me. It's not like we're fitting these to the space shuttle.

Whilst not wishing to stifle debate, shall we say that the hatches will by default be secured by two C5 sealed compression latches with latch-to-panel seals but no sealing covers, in black? Any deviation from this will be possible but at extra cost.

This has been useful for me as I'm now of the opinion that the paddle latch will be to big. I'll probably go for my original electric latch preference.

I'll order some latches in from Southco or similar. The C5s are probably the neatest and simplest option available.
All okay with me.

Ever wish you hadn't put your hand up for something……?

So, Southco latches ordered, nice n easy just work out delivered at £42-54 each with VAT and delivery (yikes). Then I see that the keys are alike, so any key fits, not good I think. They can be different keys but you have to buy a bag of ten (in effect 4 bags of ten to give all 4 latches the same key but different from the generic one), ok, but there's a catch, Mr burglar only has to buy a Southco master key and he's in!!!

Back to the drawing board. I sure as hell don't want easy access to my truck, but would be covered with the alarm especially if I link an alarm switch in. Plus I don't want 4 keys for 4 locks on two gullwings.

Thoughts please while I go and lie in a darkened room with a large single malt!!

Order now on hold.

Last edited:
It'll have to be just one key for all four catches or maybe go for one paddle catch on each gullwing. :think: Pour a glass for me while your at it. :icon-razz:

I'm ok with one key for all four latches and someone on here having the same key too. Crack on chap. I certainly wouldn't want 4 different keys myself. That'd drive me fnurkin nuts.

The latches on the n&j canopy I got for my hilux look identical to the c5 lockable southco latches linked on here. They work well and I like them

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ok, there was no way I was going to do 4 different keys for 4 catches. Life's too short for that sort of thing. The main question which I feel seems to have been answered is that you peeps are happy with a common key, I.e anyone buying a Southco C5 latch will have the same key as all of us on here. If that's ok with you folks then I'm ok with it. They do a smaller latch but you guessed it, not for 12 weeks as they don't import them over here!!

Back