Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 series gullwings rear windows

Thanks Chris. I have been considering making something up for a while but didn't want to reinvent the wheel. Seeing as so many of you are interested and have looked into it, it's spurred me on to share what seems to be a worthwhile project.

Feelings noted on the latches, and to a greater degree echoed by myself. If everyone likes that style of latch then I've gotta have it at least as an option, probably the default. I can see the advantages, I just don't like the bits hanging down when the door is up. I can see me opening a nice head wound on one. I have looked at quite a lot of catches and I can't really better those shown for simplicity and adjustability.

There are some multipoint locks which work off one locked handle which might work out but I'd have to look at prices. Not had time today.

Thanks for the Gas strut info. I may need it, or I may have a cunning plan depending on hinges which may or may not work out.

Seen the multi point locks. Thought about that myself, but the beauty of the lever latch ones is the way they adjust up on those bolts. Really easy to set. Know what you mean about scalp wounds though.

I did think that the molle louvred panel in the Yodateq ones was brilliant. Great for attaching kit. Not sure how / what you could use to replicate that. But as and when we get closer it might be possible at the very least to include some short studs in the flap so that people could explore adding cargo nets or whatever. Don't want to drill them after they're finished.

.................................to include some short studs in the flap so that people could explore adding cargo nets or whatever. Don't want to drill them after they're finished.

oo, I saw just the thing the other day, but I can't remember the product name, or webby. It was a bond on stud system used for cable runs mostly, very strong mounting some of the us Toyota crowd are using them for all sorts of things without welding or drilling things.

Last edited:
Oh very clever Mark. That's a winner. Yep, I shall bookmark that.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Had the rear glass out today and took a template of it. Not too tricky and was out and back in pretty quickly.

Found these handles which I am considering, as they are closest to OEM I can find.
http://www.oemhardwaregroup.com/rotary-locks-strikes/no-9600u-rotary-paddle-latch
These can operate a slave latch for two point locking on one key and would be fitted upside down to that shown in the picture (I think).

Also these are sealed versions of the compression latches shown earlier in the thread. Middle, locked version.
http://www.southco.com/en-gb/c5

Thoughts appreciated.

Last edited:
I prefer the look of the second one, looks a lot neater (smaller) than the other.

For the second, there will need to be two, with two locks for each door to give two point locking. I agree, they are neat.

For the second, there will need to be two, with two locks for each door to give two point locking. I agree, they are neat.
Two would be more secure as well.

Yes, the plan is for two point locking but means two locks per door to unlock and lock again. Obvious I know but just making sure this is acceptable.

Yes, the plan is for two point locking but means two locks per door to unlock and lock again. Obvious I know but just making sure this is acceptable.

That's OK for me, it wouldn't be that often they would need to be unlocked, I would be mainly using the hatches for cooking equipment, knives, forks spoons cups and plates that sort of thing so when at a campsite they would probably be unlocked all the time and locked for travelling.

Ditto.

I thought the same about locking and unlocking and as long as they are press or turn catches I'd leave them undone most of the time. I doubt you get catches that required to be opened and closed with the key in any case. But that would be a nuisance yes.

Useful to know that Stu, thanks. They do a sealing cover so probably worthwhile getting that. However it adds another faff level.

As far as keys go, I can see the need to unlock, push button to open, push to close, push button to open, push to close then when finished lock with the key. I'm also not sure yet on the level of security the keys offer. I suspect it's not that high.

Last edited:
we did used to change that type of locks alot of the time. i think i can do them in my sleep.

Hmm. I think I might put this to a vote.
1, Non sealed compression latches as per the pic on this thread.
2, Sealed C5 compression latches as per my link a few posts ago that get sticky buttons.
3, car door handle type sealed paddle latch as per my link a few posts ago.

1, Starcruiser - 2 point lock, No3

Last edited:
Had the rear glass out today and took a template of it. Not too tricky and was out and back in pretty quickly.

Found these handles which I am considering, as they are closest to OEM I can find.
http://www.oemhardwaregroup.com/rotary-locks-strikes/no-9600u-rotary-paddle-latch
These can operate a slave latch for two point locking on one key and would be fitted upside down to that shown in the picture (I think).

Thoughts appreciated.
How large are those paddle latches?

Back