Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 series gullwings rear windows

Sorry Lorin, I forgot you hadn't got yours in yet. Hopefully sometime soon. :icon-question:

Today I thought I'd make a start on cladding the frame, but first a new blade for the circular saw, so along to Screwfix and bought a fine toothed blade, got back home and removed blunt blade only to find the new one had a much smaller central hole and wouldn't fit so back to Screwfix who didn't have correct size, got a refund and back home to refit old blade and guess what I found in the drawer two new blades I had bought ages ago and forgotten about.
Oh well, enough excitement for today, maybe I'll start tomorrow.

Not all... I guess mine must be the last. Soon I hope.....
If you want some Clive, perhaps ask Shayne (or another of your visitors) to bring 'em over. I wouldn't want to be spoiling Ana's view from the truck though. :eusa-naughty:

If you want some Clive, perhaps ask Shayne (or another of your visitors) to bring 'em over. I wouldn't want to be spoiling Ana's view from the truck though. :eusa-naughty:
The view through the door from the rear seat won't be blocked it would only be the view from the rear jump seats.

The view through the door from the rear seat won't be blocked it would only be the view from the rear jump seats.
I think the third row is Ana's seat isn't it? Or did I get that wrong? :think:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I assumed Clive and Aura in front with Ana behind.
Maybe I got it wrong Chas but o seem to remember Clive saying Ana liked to sit in the rearmost seats. I expect Clive will let us know.

Maybe I got it wrong Chas but o seem to remember Clive saying Ana liked to sit in the rearmost seats. I expect Clive will let us know.
I didn't know that, c'mon Clive wake up and let us know.

What? Hello?

Ah, well you're both right.

When her friend Daria comes to the house with us, she (they) bag the third row, and usually we need it because there's me & Father-in-law in the front, Daria's mum & dad and Aura on the middle row, kids in the back.

On our own, Ana sits in the middle row.

I've tried and tried to justify these Rich, and I just can't do it. My truck will never be an Overlander, and as a 7/8 seater, which it often is, it wouldn't be much fun for those in the third row.

And as you know, to make them really worthwhile, you do need a box construction/compartment behind the masterpieces you've made.

I've got Chas' old frames to go in place of my damaged frames, so I do have some improvements to look forward to. I also got new rubbers for them off Dervis (Indigo Spirit) so I'm all set to go on that job, time permitting.

What? Hello?

Ah, well you're both right.

When her friend Daria comes to the house with us, she (they) bag the third row, and usually we need it because there's me & Father-in-law in the front, Daria's mum & dad and Aura on the middle row, kids in the back.

On our own, Ana sits in the middle row.

I've tried and tried to justify these Rich, and I just can't do it. My truck will never be an Overlander, and as a 7/8 seater, which it often is, it wouldn't be much fun for those in the third row.

And as you know, to make them really worthwhile, you do need a box construction/compartment behind the masterpieces you've made.

I've got Chas' old frames to go in place of my damaged frames, so I do have some improvements to look forward to. I also got new rubbers for them off Dervis (Indigo Spirit) so I'm all set to go on that job, time permitting.

Thanks Clive. I'd love to sell you a pair but not if it won't work so until such time as the rear of your truck changes to more of a van, I'll have to keep hold of them.

The sliding windows are a much better option for rear passengers TBH. They come apart and clean up really well but prepare yourself for some serious decay to the ally sub frame that sits within the rubbers on even a good set like those from Chas or Karl. Have you got fixed windows at the moment? If so you will also need to change the plastic grill thingies as the sliding frame takes up a smidge more room than the fixed. Thankfully a pair of these plastic bits should be pretty inexpensive. I think for you and your family they will be a welcome addition.

Never mind Clive you can come and ogle mine soon.

Already did Chas, before you set about making the frame to go behind, they're so cool and I love the look they bring to the truck.

No Rich, I've got the standard sliders like Chas' replacements. I still haven't worked out what's what. I've got a new set of rubbers for the sliding type, Dervis assured me of that, they're still in the bag as sent by the supplier.

So, you think that when I remove the rubbers from Chas' frames, the alu will have corroded behind? I don't mind if it has as long as it's not too bad to use them. Mine are damaged on the outside and the rubber is split on one one 'corner'.

One reason for the damage on the bad side was a truck flatbed that hit mine before I owned it. It was one of the reasons I managed to get an 11 year old for 5k, 10 years ago. I've had all the bodywork repaired nicely, I'm just left with grotty windows.

It's really niggling me now that you have a pair sitting in storage, they look so good... :?

You should be able to make something good out of what you have Clive. The rubbers show any corrosion underneath as little bulges but with new rubbers and a clean up, the ally should be ok even if damaged. You may be able to cut and weld in parts of the ally frames as it's mainly on the bottom that they go. I would also look at giving the ally a good smear of grease, probably red rubber grease to keep any moisture at bay as they go back in the new rubbers. Other than that they should come up looking like new with a bit of a clean up.

I've got two pairs on the shelf (well ok under the bed :shhh:) as I haven't fitted mine yet Clive.
But no, resist, resist, until your truck changes use and Ana grows out of the jump seats-, at about 14 I'd say. :whistle:

:thumbup: When I'm feeling brave, I'll be having a go at this. I can start on Chas' frames, getting the old rubber off and cleaning them off, before I venture to remove mine.

Mind you, mine were removed for the respray, then replaced, so they should come out easily enough.

Cheers Rich...

The beginnings of my gullwing compartment, there will be more pictures . . . . eventually, it takes me time to get round to some jobs so don't hold your breath. It will be clad with ply and covered on the inside with a suitable carpet. Nicely built by Ed of Freedom 4x4 with a little help from Trevor, the whole frame is held in with just two bolts onto the old seat belt anchor points so if needed it can be easily removed to accommodate large items in the back of the truck.

View attachment 103375
Started, slowly, to clad the frame,

Gullwing frame.jpg

With a lick of black paint and a couple of panels cut, more to follow when I've recovered from my exertions.

20160709_170316.jpg

Wherever that is Chas it looks far too tidy!!
You know what my garage is like!!:scared-eek:

Back