Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 series gullwings rear windows

Oops! :whistle:

Either is good. Chas was calling for Tiger seal but I think I used silicone in the end. I've actually drilled mine, fitted a nutsert in the metal and screwed it on with a m4 pan head screw.

The silicone seems to work well. If you put the black insulating tape round the join between the grill thingy and the window reveal it makes quite a neat job and gives some hold to it.

Rubbery seal to plastic grill thingy- I must confess to not having done this but wishing I had. I would say hot melt glue is probably what I would use, but a good adhesive silicone might well do the job. Plastic friendly super glue perhaps, purely from a precision point of view?

Let us know how you get on. :thumbup:

Cheers Rich,

just spent the last hour n half trying to get the paint of the rubbers, I've done one side of one rubber, tedium squared, put them in a bath of hot water worked it as much as poss, tried pan scrubber, moved onto wire wool, it comes up good but it takes some friggin scrubbin! I've got dish pan hands :lol: wishing the amayama order haddn't gone south now :violin: I'll have another go at it tomorrow

a mate in the game is telling me to use gorilla glue for the grills, says it expands and will never come off, if I can get the plastic clips out I may get some to glue em back on, and if that goes well mite try it on the rubber edge, if I can't get the clips out plan B is silicon, plastic friendly super glue sounds good for the rubber edge I'll see what B&Q has on the shelf tomorrow, the screws are rusted up solid but left a plastic cup affair on the grill so a blob of silicon in there should do it in case I ever need to take em off again :lol:

I couldn't find those tools they used on the video to remove the windows, faffed about with two sets of cycle tyre levers for a bit, then raided the kindling bags for apropriate size bits of wood I tickled some up on the bench grinder, worked a treat:dance:

Sounds like you're getting there. I haven't had to remove paint from the rubbers but Brillo pads take the toot off pretty well. Some Nitromors might help lift it if it's that well on there. Not sure what it does to rubber but if it's not on there long I wouldn't have thought it would do it any harm.

I like your tools idea. I'm often raiding the kindling to fettle something or other. I think I used a but of kindling as a punch to create the clearance for the bottom 'step' in the gullwings that is just a tad too close otherwise.

Gives a good chance to treat the rust in that area. Chris was reporting getting water in the seal from who knows where so I still reckon the Butyl screen sealer is a good bet, especially on lazy old rubbers.
Keep up the good work, I'm looking forward to photos of the finished article. :clap::icon-biggrin:

The beginnings of my gullwing compartment, there will be more pictures . . . . eventually, it takes me time to get round to some jobs so don't hold your breath. It will be clad with ply and covered on the inside with a suitable carpet. Nicely built by Ed of Freedom 4x4 with a little help from Trevor, the whole frame is held in with just two bolts onto the old seat belt anchor points so if needed it can be easily removed to accommodate large items in the back of the truck.

Gullwing frame.jpg

Last edited:
You're telling me Chas, that Trevor actually made the TEA?

He must be exhausted poor lad.

Looking good Chas:thumbup: just right for the gullwing

I got the rubbers sorted in the end with a wire brush bit in the drill:angry-banghead:

had a bit of a setback with the paint reacting badly, had to sand all the primer off again :angry-banghead: I've just got the first coat of isolator on :obscene-drinkingch:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
You're telling me Chas, that Trevor actually made the TEA?

He must be exhausted poor lad.
He did although I had coffee, after last time when I had his tea, it could have been used as paint stripper.

Working with strippers, well now there's something Trev could really tell you about ...

Good work there Chas, Ed, Trev and the strippers.

Coming along nicely... :thumbup:

Would I be correct in thinking the grills have to go on before the window rubber is refitted?
It's going to have to be a sillicon job for the grills.

Best if they do Pete, and put some black tape down the reveal where the grille joins the body in the frame. The rubbers partially cover this anyway.

Best if they do Pete, and put some black tape down the reveal where the grille joins the body in the frame. The rubbers partially cover this anyway.

Cheers Rich, frames are newly painted so I should get away without tape, I'll get the grills stuck on today and leave the gullwings til tomorrow give the silicon chance to go off properly :thumbup:

Cheers Rich, frames are newly painted so I should get away without tape, I'll get the grills stuck on today and leave the gullwings til tomorrow give the silicon chance to go off properly :thumbup:
Up to you but the tape just bridges the gap and will stop anything getting caught and lifting the grille.

thanks for that Rich, I see now, thought it was just an asthetic thing

It is mostly aesthetic but it might just stop a simple knock turning into a disaster with the Gullwing open. Probably just my OCD side but it's worth it IMO.

Looking good with the new black surround Pete. :thumbup:

All done, went much easier than I thought it would in the end, really pleased with them, quality work Rich, well done :thumbup:

IMG_20160703_1516551_zpsyqf88a7u.jpg

Thought it might catch the awning, nope, it's just right:clap:

IMG_20160703_1516171_zpsovbkgt3l.jpg

Great stuff Pete. That's just the way I designed them to miss awnings :whistle:

Thanks for the feedback and glad you're pleased. I think that's all of the ones I sold fitted now.

I should be able to update on the Molle panel sometime soon as I had to redesign them to get the price somewhere near right.

Great stuff Pete. That's just the way I designed them to miss awnings :whistle:

Thanks for the feedback and glad you're pleased. I think that's all of the ones I sold fitted now.

I should be able to update on the Molle panel sometime soon as I had to redesign them to get the price somewhere near right.

Not all... I guess mine must be the last. Soon I hope.....

Back