Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 series gullwings rear windows

stan

Hi all
further to recent discussion on the gull wings for the 80 series..
i can get them from south africa like the ones fraser has.
Ive had a quote from his supplier and a shipping cost but by the time you add the shipping, import duty and vat they are going to be around £650 -£700 a pair landed at our place
im trying to find a better shipping solution.
please let me know if this is of any interest to anyone. I need to order at least 5 pairs to make it worthwhile..

I want a pair but not at that price, sorry.

Wow Stan, we knew they'd be a bit more than the £220, but that is nuts. I could get a flight, go and get them and get back on the same plane and come home for less.

I have spoken to the other manufacturer I mentioned and they're going to get back to me. The first supplier I spoke to was a dead loss. Not remotely interested which just about sums up this whole sector really. If I ran a business, I would treat potential customers with more care. Should have known better than to bother wasting my time asking.

That price rules it out for me too. There's no way they are worth that, cost that or give that much benefit. Don't worry, we'll crack it somehow.

By way of transparency Heres the break down
5000 zar which today is £265 for the actual pair
5000 zar shipping £265
import duty@20% £ 53
vat @ 20% £53
my margin £40
total £676

like i said if i can get the shipping cost down it would help, i could have less margin, but to be honest id need £40 to be bothered to sort it all out!

everything that comes from SA is like this, just look at all the awnings, rtts and the wolf box inserts for example!
you can more than double any price you see advertised over there..

Even if you could halve the shipping cost it would be more that I would be wiling to pay.

Stan, no one works for free. No problem with that. It's the shipping that's a killer. £265 per pair is nuts. I think I paid less than that to get my suspension from Australia. Now if that was £265 for say up to 10 sets, it would be OK. But if that was for every pair? Well we could get a container for less than that. Without shipping though they'd still be £411 per pair which is pretty much over the line I think. So they need to sell them cheaper and we need to get the shipping on say 5 pairs, down. I think for me the maths would have to be closer to
Per pair £220
Shipping £50
Import £44
VAT £44
Mark up £40 which would equal £398 and at that I would have sleepless nights before I ordered them.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I didn't know Stan was looking into this so I have to help the club members. His prices are spot on and the carriage is shockingly expensive. There is another idea which I will send Stan a pm tomorrow and see if he can do that.
Stu

Out of interest Chas, if we could get them made here in the UK forget who gets what out of it, what would you be willing to pay to have a set delivered to your door? Feel free to PM that if you like.

No. I am not doing a group buy. Let's be clear here. I am merely trying to facilitate a pair into the back of my truck.

I did mention it Stu. It was in my thread I think. Go for it. Any ideas are helpful. These things can't weigh much. They're aluminium.

The chap that makes them is quoting they way 14kgs per set and I think he is sending them with the equivalent of the post-office which is not the best way to send anything big and heavy. I think we need to get a price on a pallet sent over as a group this would bring the price right down. I had airfreight from Canada a few years ago which was £1kg next day so it's not dead in the water let me help Stan see what we can do.
I also got a good price on canvas seat covers when I was there so we could spread the cost with more items as well.
Stu

Very very ruff price is £2.50 per kg plus £45 per shipment

I also got a good price on canvas seat covers when I was there so we could spread the cost with more items as well.
Stu
Front seat covers are something else I want to get Stu, keep us informed please.

Steve has posted a link to a company who do replacement windows in France; is that what you were looking for? At least then there's only freight and margin (no tax as it's with the EU) to work with.

I've been looking at making/having these made up for mine over the past few months but I've only got as far as a template for the hatch. If I had some idea of how many wanted them, an idea of cost to aim for and timescale, maybe I could get my finger out and concentrate on them.

The basics I was looking at were:-
1,All ally construction
2,Overall hatch that fits snugly like a door to the existing body shape.
3,Simple frame under the hatch with short section continuing into car to be able to add a box locker behind over the wheel arches.
4,Hinges that allow the hatch to clear the gutter line on the cruiser but are neat and internally fitted.
5,Gas strut opening.
6,Quality latch(es).

The overall effect I was going for was as much an OEM look as I could, real quality build. I was going to spray mine black but could leave them unpainted if required.

If anyone's interested, form a list below by copying and pasting and adding your name, acceptable spend per pair, paint finish, and timescale and I'll look into it more.

1, Starcruiser, £400, Matt black, this year.

I think we need to just be careful who is doing what at the second. I have a lead, so does Stan and Stu is helping too. I think there is a list of interested parties, but not necessarily allied to any particular seller yet. We may end up with options, which is great. I'll add my name to the list - but that's in terms of saying I wand gull wings. Some are downright ugly and drill into the body. The ones on Fraser's post are perfect, though I'd say they only need one gas strut. Stan was the first to offer to look into this and raised the thread so we need to respect that. What I'd like is a UK manufacturer with whom we all deal with directly so there's no one holding the liability (again) no import charge, very little chance of them being lost in shipping etc

1, Starcruiser, £400, Matt black, this year.
2, Chris, £TBC, Matt black, now.

Damn Lorin, those Yoda ones are the mutts. Click the links in the other clips to see more. They do two locks which is much better. The louvred panel is brilliant and just what I need.

£800 though. But you get much more than just a hatch really. Hmm, they do single ones too.

Last edited:
Yeh I've been following both since the start. It's the Yoda ones I'd be interested in too as I only want one side and they seem the better developed. Only slight issue is the price :wtf:

Last edited:
Back