Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 Series Ltd Smoking when I hit the accelerator hard

100wattwarlock

Hi there,

I have a 96 VX Ltd 24 Valve with about 146,000 Km on the clock, I have noticed that when I flaw it to get out of a junction it smokes quite badly for a while, soon settles down again, but I also notice when going from 100 to 120 Kmh it does the same thing, anything I should be worried about?
I used to have a Landrover 110 and while it never made it up to 120 kmh it only ever used to smoke briefly upon startup, and after that nothing, except the usual oil leaks! ;)

Thanks

BLack smoke? its unburned diesel - they all give a puff when you boot them. if its a lot check your air filter is clean - after that it it persists injector cleaner. come back after that....

Whip the airfilter out completly for a few days.
Run the tank as low as youe dare.
Put a whole bottle of injector cleaner in, or two.
Followed by 5 liters fresh diesel.
Put a spare 5 liters in a container, and put in the rear as "emergency fuel"
Take her for a good early morning blast down an empty (of police) motorway, keep the throttle nailed, "pedal to the metal" for 12 - 15 miles, head for a forecourt.
If you don't make it, well, thats what the emergency fuel is for.

Other than that, if it still smokes, then the real experts, the other guys will be along to explain how to set, and reset the fuel pump/

Graham

personally dont agree with the first statement above, never run your motor without an air filter in just go buy a new one its better than dragging in dust

Agree with J66P.
If in doubt just change the filters, how long have you had the truck? Do you know the service history?
Also, has anyone had a play with the pump? If they tweaked it a bit far that would cause excessive smoke. What colour is the smoke? Does it make a difference what temp the engine is at?
Might be worth a check of the engine oil level too.

100wattwarlock said:
Hi there,

I have a 96 VX Ltd 24 Valve with about 146,000 Km on the clock, I have noticed that when I flaw it to get out of a junction it smokes quite badly for a while, soon settles down again, but I also notice when going from 100 to 120 Kmh it does the same thing, anything I should be worried about? ;) Thanks
I had exactly the same experience with my 80, 143k miles, the fuelling has now been tweaked down a bit by Greg, problem solved, the smoke has now disappeared. :thumbup: But, it has lost a bit of power, I'm hoping this adjustment will show a better fuel consumption figure though :pray:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks for the replies.
I've had the truck about 6 months, don't really know the service history, looks like it's been pimped at some point or another, a lot of these trucks come out of Japan to NZ (where I live), so the Japs like to do lots of lights and stickers and so on.

The smoke is black and happens when the motor is warm, and is only visible for 30-60 secs, so not too disturbing. It's been checked over by mechs here, but you know... there's mechs and mechs! :dance:

Anyhow, I'll switch out the air filter and see how it goes, got a hunting trip coming up soon, so a four hour drive will see what we get.

Thanks for the help

Hunting? Now you're talking. What you after - I'm guessing either red or pigs being in NZ. We're happy to see pics. We're not all tree huggers on here you know.

Elmer Fud

Chris said:
Hunting? Now you're talking. What you after - I'm guessing either red or pigs being in NZ. We're happy to see pics. We're not all tree huggers on here you know.

Elmer Fud

Ha ha, well if I get anything... I'll post something up, once I'm back I'm hoping to get the truck lifted too, so I might post some before and after pics.

Going after Sika deer. Going to be cold, it's Winter here.... can't wait though... dropped into the middle of nowhere, once the plane leaves it's "me,myself and I"... and a few deer, possums and that's it! Bear Grylls eat your heart out! :lol:

Sounds idyllic. Just my sort of thing. Never shot Sika. They always look very cross. It's those facial marking. Good aiming point though!

Sun on your back, wind in your face.

Chris

Chris said:
Sounds idyllic. Just my sort of thing. Never shot Sika. They always look very cross. It's those facial marking. Good aiming point though!
Sun on your back, wind in your face.
Chris

They are not the easiest deer to get, and they have pretty much driven the Reds out of where I'm going, they're quite aggressive little characters!
Hey I didn't realise who I was chatting to because of the new Avatar, reading the various threads I can see you've had some bad luck, some very bad luck. Really sorry to see what happened to your truck mate. Your images of the White one, were very in$pirational to me, still haven't gotten round to doing the work on my VX, but hoping to once I get back from this trip.

Good luck with the new one, and for what it's worth the "gold" colour isn't as bad once your inside one! ;)

New one's going great. All the grief of losing the white one has passed really. Shame I'm bashing the silver one around a bit at the moment. But it does run very well. Will get it finished over the Summer I hope.

Look forward to seeing some pics of yours - once you get round to working on it. I hope to get up to Scotland pretty soon, now the stags are in. I know where they are! I shall take the big 7mm or the .300 for an outing. :violence-snipersmiley:

Just had my mate drop off some bunnies. My pointer looked very animated.

Chris

Back