Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 Series resurrection.

Thanks guys, yes some beer soon altho' rarely touch the stuff, reckon 1 or 2 won't do any harm eh.

MoT is booked for Monday AM and have just sorted some insurance cover, also started to make a somewhat temporary side exhaust and even tho' the brakes feel good without the servo, as soon as the vacuum is there, the pedal slowly sinks to the floor.

Can only assume the master cyl. has been dry too long? have got a spare 2 bolt one but not a 4 bolt so it's a servo and cylinder swop later.

One thing to ask is;- is the master cylinder bore size the same on small brake and big brake 80's? Have fitted big brakes all round on this truck but still have original master on at the moment.

Expecting a flood of answers saying noo noo etc ....change it now..:icon-biggrin: Thanks.

|I think the only differenace is the caliper size and disc not the master cylinder. I have changed mine over and not done or needed to do the master. My brakes now are way better.
when can i book my 80 in for the axles and chassis do over? next week?
stu

Ha ha Stu nice one, yes by all means bring it over, you'll have to pick me up tho' , I'll be just up the road at the local Rehab. Clinic (or the N**house). :wtf:

It's been a cool build but honestly I'm flagging now. Won't be shouting "next" anytime soon.. :thumbup: Thanks for the info, will measure bores of both types of cyl when they're side by side, see if they do differ.

It's been a cool build but honestly I'm flagging now. Won't be shouting "next" anytime soon..........

Oh, I thought you'd be well up for it! I mean your name is Chris isn't it? There must be another one.........:whistle:

Oh, I thought you'd be well up for it! I mean your name is Chris isn't it? There must be another one.........:whistle:

Hmm lets think Chad, there are at least 2 Chris's and us 2 have tested each others kettles numerous times and strangely we are both lumbered with 2 x 80's but the connection ends there I think!.

He likes to blow furry things to pieces then eat them, whilst I like to stroke and talk to them. A build partnership tho' would be a right old larf havin said that..:icon-biggrin:

Cheers Chadr.

On lj70's the brake master cylinder has 7/8 diameter stamped on the side and the same age lj71 with disc rear and vented bigger disc front has 15/16 stamped the same as the later kzj70. I wouldn't be suprised if the later bigger braked 80 follows suit. Bigger brakes require more fluid flow. Just an observation I have seen recently.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well done Chris, lots of hard work gone into that and i am sure there were plenty of times you had wondered what you started!! but great finish.

Afraid my newly acquired 80 won't be getting that much attention!! but then stuff down here don't seem to rust as rot away like back in blighty (no salt on roads)

Anyway, impressed, well done

Hi guys, a bit belated but the truck did pass it's MoT last Monday with no advisories, the brake master cylinders are all 1" bore regardless off brake size from what I can see.

Have been busy at a rock festival for the last 7 days hence the delay but the 80 is quite a revelation and drives like new with not a squeak, rattle or anything and seems super smooth.

Also made a side exhaust for it the day before the test and am really pleased with how that turned out, need to get some pics up so back in a bit..cheers..:thumbup:

This was the final final job before mot;

New flexy 63mm x 200mm;

001_53.jpg

2 x 60 series rear props made the pipe;

098.jpg

099.jpg

The soundtrack is perfect..

Basically that is exactly what I have. But not made from 60 props. That's genius.

Basically that is exactly what I have. But not made from 60 props. That's genius.

Hi Chris, no genius really, just a rummage in the garage for any tube nearest to 3" followed by the usual 'hmm seems a shame to cut those up' followed by right where's the disc cutter..:think:

Have already clocked up a few miles with 8 days setting up/running/breaking down the RockandBikefest in Derbyshire followed by a few days at Baskerville hall in Wales.

076_1.jpg

The old girl is a beautiful drive and just flies along effortlessly..

I'll have to have a look next time you are at Holymudslide or Puddley Wood. Man that was muddy this weekend. Clyro's just too far for me.

Chris, Clyro is about a hundred times better than Padley wood and only 2 hours away from us and not only are the woods good but the beer and bar meals are lovely even if you've still got mud on ya face. :icon-biggrin:

Yes but I don't off road any more do I. Not any more. So it's a long way to camp and drink fine ale.

Yes but I don't off road any more do I. Not any more. So it's a long way to camp and drink fine ale.

A few of us didn't 'off-road' but we did camp and we very definatly did drink some "fine ale", it flowed rather well actually after basically being garage bound for about the last 7 months.. :thumbup:

I thought you only drank tea Chris. And only when someone else was brewing ...

It's what I was told.

I thought you only drank tea Chris. And only when someone else was brewing ...

It's what I was told.

That's partly true but one of the pumps at the bar had 'Butty Back' on it and we all got a taste for the stuff..

Anyway am looking towards stage II of this project which is mainly to convert from Auto to Manual gearbox (was going to 24valve as well but the 12valve is running so nice).

Also want the Husky rear winch in as it has made trailer loading an absolute pleasure over the last few years. :think:

Morning men, have had a break from the spanners but now figuring whats next so in order to provide a manual box and spare engine etc, the the red '95 GS is coming apart.

The bodyshell will end up simply scrapped so if anyone really needs it then £50 gets it, (collected).
The brown plastic interior pieces are heading to a bin as far away as possible from my eyes and other stuff will be just stored away.
If there's any interest in bits needed then am sure we can PM phone no.s on here somehow? Thanks Chris..

Brilliant thread and an impressive resurrection Chris :clap:

I've done a few rebuilds over the years but nothing on this scale.

Out of interest, how many man-hours do you reckon you put into this? :wtf:

Hi Dave and firstly thanks for that, to be honest I don't really know the true answer to your question but the truck was pushed into the garage on Dec 29th last year and drove out on roughly Sat 11th of July all done.

So about 6.5 months of 3 day weekends (I do a 4 day working week), wasn't on it all weekend or even every day off but it was fairly intense and must have drank 47 gallons of tea..

Say 26 weekends x3 =78 days roughly.

Part 1 was to get the the truck rebuilt, rust free and MoTed.
Part 2 is to convert to manual, possibly fit the low mileage 24 valve engine (all from the 95LC) and to bolt on the nice bits like winches etc.

So there you go Dave, 6 months of graft......best not mention the counselling..:shock:

Back