Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

97 1HZ Cruiser Electrical problem, Interior lights flashing very bright

Glen61

Country Flag
australia
This problem has being ongoing for a while now and its being a massive pain, Currently i've already replaced the alternator, glow plug relay and the battery. The interior lights and dash backlight flash very bright every now and again as well as the volts bouncing up on the dash every time it happens, if i have my radio on it also makes a clicking noise. Even the windshield wipers have gone off by theirselves when the click happens and im clueless to what has caused it, when checking the volts on everything ive noticed the voltage to the glow plugs never leaves even after the light has turned off for it. At first i thought it was the alternator overcharging but even after replacing it with a new one nothing has fixed it

Hi Glen,

I had something similar on my 1HZ when I first brought it 10 years ago. Every now and then strange things would happen with the electrics, lights would dip, gauges would move, then it started dying on me for no reason. In the end I took it to a really good electrician who managed to sort it. Think it turned out to be a bad earth.

Not massively helpful I know but these intermittent electrical faults are the hardest to diagnose. On the plus side the 1HZ is so simple there aren't many wires to look at.

Welcome by the way.

Good luck

Think it turned out to be a bad earth.
On faults like this, bad earths are also my prime suspects. Current searches its way through all the rest of the truck and gives all sorts of faults.
Better fix it because it's easy to fry your electrics this way.
Good luck.
Btw earth points in the truck are marked in the electric manual. If you don't have one, you can pm me.

I’m not familiar with the 70 series, so a few questions
1, does it have two batteries?
2, does it have 24v start/12v run or
3, is it a straight 12v all the time?

Turns out it was the other relay thankyou very much for the help

For anyone with this problem in the future, can you let us know which exact relay it was Glen? A photo would also be very useful.

Glad it’s now sorted.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back