Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

99 Prado 3.4L 200k ok?

Toopy

Country Flag
australia
Hi everyone,

New here and to prados in general, looking at a 99 Prado (not sure if its august or jan yet, inspect later this week) and was just wondering if 200000k was ok for the 3.4l. My research indicated that it should be fine for at least another 50 - 100000k before recon is required (or starting to get close anyway).
Also if there is anything else specific to look for during inspection,
so far I know to;
check the dash for broken locator pins
check panhard and all suspension links in general
check steering rack and mounts
fuel transfer pump

Thanks

I assume you mean 200k kilometres, that is only about 125k miles, which is nothing really. Just do the due diligence on these trucks and check the weak points (search this section and read sticky posts) and you should be fine.

Mine is on 170k+ miles, which is nearly 275k klicks, never had a rebuild and still runs sweet as a nut.

Hi Toopy , I have the same model , when purchased mine had done 283K , it still surprises me how well it drives and runs ( to my knowledge the running gear is untouched ), but if unsure with yours would probably pay to have it checked out by a competent mechanic , As a matter of peace of mind I replaced the timing belt , pulleys and water pump soon after purchase as I had no history of maintenance with this vehicle ( Hell of a job ) , I have a decent shed with hoist and mechanical skills so can do most maintenance in house .
Good luck with the Prado hope it turns out to be a good one .. cheers Mick

Thanks guys,

yep 205000Kms, not sure if the belt has been done at this stage but if it hasn't I'll get stuck into it, with of course the associated purchase price drop
fairly competent with everything, on my 99 Grand Vitara which I'm moving up from I have installed
lockers front and rear,
new clutch
4" lift with all associated drop brackets
did the timing chain (it's a V6 quad cam so pretty complex)
plus my neighbour is a 4th year apprentice mechanic/engine re-conditioner who takes his 60 series apart nearly every second day if I need a hand.

Feeling a lot more confident now after more and more research about the number of clicks on the vehicle and other testaments to its reliability and off-road capability
Can't wait till the w/end to have a look at this baby, It's been a soccer mum car for ever and maybe been off-road once or twice in its life. Will be driving off with it if everything checks out.

Anybody used a powertrax noslip in the rear?
Same principle as a lockright (which I have front and rear in my GV) but removes the backlash that the lockright introduces.
My guess is that the LSD will be had so looking at a rear locker to start with and I'm not a fan of airlockers.
Other thing on the cards will be a 2" lift, looking at the ironman kit with foamcell shocks

So I've also read that mounting a dual battery under the hood can cause problems, Is a 20Kg deep cycle going to cause these issues or do they only arise when going to something like a 35Kg 120Ah?
I have a brand new 75Ah flooded Deep cycle and another new 105Ah AGM.
Plans were to put the flooded batt under the hood and the AGM in a rear drawer set-up in the rear, really hoping that the 75Ah 20Kg under the hood will be fine.

So, it seems that the powertrax noslip locker is the same principle as the Detroit soft locker

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
This is a great forum/club and is a very valuable resource for any LC owner, however if you are a Prado owner down under, then your first point of reference should probably be pradopoint.com (Oz based Prado forum).

The various Prado models and specs will vary between Europe and Australia and there is simply much more aftermarket "stuff" down under too. So you will likely find a lot of (relevant) info there. Especially in your case, when it come to the 5VZ-FE petrol engined models.

Last edited:
And anyway, I had the chance to inspect it today and pending a RWC :handgestures-finge:

I bought it :dance::dance::dance::dance: for $7000
Its a Jan model pity, but damn its still a nice car. Interior is in great shape.
Front springs are a little tired and I can pull the car down onto the bump stops just with my own weight, but its had a steel bar on for its entire life on stock suspension and I'm going to lift it anyway.

YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY

That's a good price; they've really started to come down over the last few years, and even in the last 2 since I came back over... I'm tempted with one to replace my VZN130 4Runner.

Oh crap, I forgot to add that is an RV6 not a GXL. Silly woman didn't know what is was or she was playing daft, same sort of response when I told her about the suspension.

I still think its a good price though.
Its log book is full and up to date,
engine purrs like a kitten,
4WD and centre lock all working fine with no odd noises,
Arb bar and roof basket,
interior is immaculate not even a stain in the carpet and seats, exception being the centre console is cracked on the lid (common problem I believe)
not even a scratch underneath

Last edited:
RV6 still has the twin tanks doesn't it, and fewer electrickery bits to go wrong. Possibly a tougher interior as well (closer to the FX spec that the UK market got; narrow body, different offset wheels and basic trim)

I'm half keeping an eye out for an RV6 Prado or an RV/DX spec 80 series.

Back