Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

A bit of a shock…

StarCruiser

Supporter
Guru
Garage
Country Flag
uk
When disconnecting the shock absorbers to fit the new springs I found this on one of them. Bear in mind these are 22 years old this year and look pretty much perfect on the outside.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

The thread is totally wasted away by rust within the rubber to probably 40-60% of its original diameter. :icon-eek::o
New ones are on their way from Mr T.

Last edited:
22 years on OEM shocks, I'm impressed, especially on the rear end. How much miles you got out of them?

22 years ! I'd want a refund from Toyota :)

still, not bad really I suppose.....

Ah, now I must confess I did need to change the rears a couple of years ago. They rusted so thin behind the protection plate that I poked a screwdriver through while trying to chip rust off. The truck is very low on miles for its age. It had 90,000 Km on it when I bought it and is reading somewhere around 166,000 miles now, so about 130-132,000 mostly on road miles.

These shocks are the motor adjustable ones which I thought would be hideously expensive but are coming out at about £300 for the pair.

Last edited:
Ah, now I must confess I did need to change the rears a couple of years ago. They rusted tsp thin behind the protection plate that I poked a screwdriver through while trying to chip rust off. The truck is very low on miles for its age. It had 90,000 Km on it wham I bought it and is reading somewhere around 166,000 miles now, so about 130-132,000 mostly on road miles.

These shocks are the motor adjustable ones which I thought would be hideously expensive but are coming out at about £300 for the pair.

You are very good on preventative mtce.

My mounting pins had rusted before I changed them, but not to that extent. I haven't checked the OME replacements since fitted 10 years ago, maybe it's time to pull them off and check.

The replacements have done about 170k km.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I totally expected them to break off when I tightened the bolt back on but they are still holding up well. I was thinking I ought to replace them anyway as after 22 years and 130,000 miles they are probably worn internally, though they do still have Spring pressure in them.

Rubber and water again.

My double skin rears rusted through and oil came out. I heated up my new ones and dropped them in waxoil. That went into the capillary gap and stayed there. Hopefully.

Rubber and water again.

My double skin rears rusted through and oil came out. I heated up my new ones and dropped them in waxoil. That went into the capillary gap and stayed there. Hopefully.
I noticed mine were a different design on the rear IIRC.

Back