Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

A bit of steel bar 30mmx50mmx250/300mm ish long....

sae70

Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
uk
Can anyone help me with a link to someone selling such on the net or perhaps with the steel itself :pray: :?: :)

Beer tokens at the ready :D

Thats a fair chunk of steel Steve :shock: Wassit for?

I'll ask around tomorrow & see what my fabricators have kicking about...

Well, 30 x 50 is listed as a standard size in both hollow box and bar. What's it for? Solid would be pretty heavy duty!

I might have some 30 x 50 box in the workshop. Not sure of wall thickness, but it's generally available in 2.5, 3.0, 3.2, 4.0 and 5.0 mm

Chris

Will be back to explain in full after Heston :D But solid be what I'm after :mrgreen: 'tis for Fiery :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Gav Peter said:
Thats a fair chunk of steel Steve :shock: Wassit for?
Chris said:
What's it for? Solid would be pretty heavy duty!
Well, when I first bought Fiery I had an asperational list of mods that I would like to carry out :mrgreen: I'm sure you know the kind of thing :D In this list was 'Buy & fit an ARB receiver hitch towbar' or @ least make something that resembles one. After much searching, a number of phone calls & much time stood @ the back of Fiery slowly drinking a cup of tea contemplating this modification & its costs not only in terms of wonger but time aswell :!: I'd prety much descided just to trim the bottoms off of the two towball swan neck mounting flanges flush with the base of the swan neck bar (a mod suggested by a very wise man I met once @ the junction of the A12 & M25) and then just use a shackle to small to pull over the 50mm towball to attach strops directly to the towbar for any recovery work. But I then went on to think that if I could just get my hands on a bit of steel the size mentioned for fair monies. It would be nice to make a bespoke shackle attachment bar that I could bolt up in place of the 50mm towball swan neck for when I'm out playing :mrgreen:

P1070239.jpg

PA220690.jpg

Had another measure of the swan neck towball that I've now removed from Fiery & it's 29.7x44x200mm :) So a piece of solid bar 30x50x200mm would be great if anyone could help me out :thumbup: :D

Here's a few more pics :D As we all like a piccy don't we :thumbup: :D

P2070260.jpg

P2070258.jpg

P2070259.jpg

P2070261.jpg

I wonder if a breakers might have one of those lying about Steve - you could then just cut & carve it...

Haven't had a chance to ask about yet...

I'd ditch the whole rear member on that for play time. In other words like a very wise man from near Kidderminster, have a standard one and a modified one. Reason I say that is that the bit that is left acts as a plough. All towbars do really and on a SWB when climbing, the angles involved so often mean that you get hung up on it. Even with a receiver you get caught.

Chris

I'm still in the market for a bit of solid steel 30x50x200mm if anyone can help me out :)

I've emailed a couple of the suppliers from off of the bay but they have either had none or the nearest size offered was 30x60x???, so to large :(

WHY :?:

Chris said:
I'd ditch the whole rear member on that for play time. In other words like a very wise man from near Kidderminster, have a standard one and a modified one. Reason I say that is that the bit that is left acts as a plough. All towbars do really and on a SWB when climbing, the angles involved so often mean that you get hung up on it. Even with a receiver you get caught
I hear what you're saying Chris :) To be fair though I tow my little ol' P6e trailer more often than I go off roading :| So I'm going to do the best I can with what I have :D I don't really need to make the 'D' shackle attachment as I do have a good sized shackle that fits around the swan neck below the towball & once the pin is fitted is going nowhere :) :thumbup: But it would be nice to have a bespoke shackle attachment if anyone finds a suitable bit of steel :D ;)

I made one of these shackle things myself. Mine is 50 x 50 and I made it from two pieces of 50 x 25 welded together. This give you a middle wall inside the block. In terms of shear strength against the cross pin that's more than enough. There's little point having more 'strength' in the block that you have at the outer edges of the tube that you shove it in. So a solid 50 mm bar but a 3mm wall socket equates to 3mm!

Plenty strong enough using box.

Chris

Is the 30 dimension critrical so that it goes between the plates on the bar...

Gav Peter said:
Is the 30 dimension critrical so that it goes between the plates on the bar...
Yes & yes I'm affraid :) Infact so is the 50mm dimension :) The dimensions of the OME towball swan neck are 29.7 x 44 x 200mm :) Please don't go to any great lengths to precure a bit for me, this was more just if someone had a bit to hand that they wouldn't mind selling on or if anyone new of a supplier that I could contact :) But thanks for having a look in advance :thumbup:

I got that bit of steel I was after & so moded my tow bar :D

Before
PA220690.jpg

P2070260.jpg

P2070258.jpg

P2070261.jpg

And after
P3070219.jpg

P3070220.jpg

P3070221.jpg

P3070224.jpg

P3020002.jpg