Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

A/C Issues - HELP!

SC,

I dig that leak detector! That thing looks pretty slick! I sure hope I don't have to resort to sourcing a compressor out of Europe! :grimacing:

SA has quite a few 80 & 100 series cruisers running around still. I'd be surprised if they didn't have something available. Then again, those guys rebuild everything. Back in the States, when your alternator goes, you go buy a new one or a remanufactured one, same with compressors. In SA, you can get yours rebuilt by a local auto electrician or a/c guy!

Well, (not to rub it in you understand) my AC ran faultlessly for the best part of 3 hrs today. I actually had to turn the temp up it was coping so well! :) but then it's not overly hot today. If it ran well today for that time, I've no doubt it will continue to do so.
Happy days.

If you can get yours rebuilt then there should be plenty of life left in it. Just don't let it lunch itself in the meantime. Saying that mine survived on a few drops of oil, not that that's a good thing as of course it did die eventually.

I don't think I'll be in SA anytime soon to get it rebuilt. I'll see about a new one first. Glad yours is working well!

I've contacted a number of people in SA including a Toyota dealer to see what I can get sent up with a friend of mine. Hopefully my existing compressor will continue working well until I can get a replacement one.

Thanks David. If you keep an eye on things as mentioned you should be ok.

The Toyota dealer may be the best route. Can you get parts sent by post? If so try Amayama.com, it's a few weeks wait plus any import duty but should be a far better price. If you get the Toyota number from the dealer you can type it straight in or look up on their parts system as per your chassis number.

David I would get your order in quick if you go to Toyota. They were out of supply when I ordered one and although I left my order in they could not give a firm delivery date. That's what spurred me on to rebuild mine.

Ok guys. I'll see what it looks like to import one into the country as well. I'm hoping that things work out in SA to get one from there though. It'll be much easier and faster. Angolan customs can be a real mission.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Does anyone know if there is a difference in the A/C compressor's on a RHD vs LHD Cruiser or a 4.2 TD vs a 4.5 petrol, given the model year is the same? I'm looking to see if I can purchase an A/C compressor in the USA where a buddy of mine is and have him fly it back to Angola with him.

There seem to be various ones for various setups. I doubt RHD or LHD would make any difference. Model year and goodies (fridge, rear AC) will affect it. Just try and get a Denso or Sanden one of 15 designation. Frank's 17 runs fine where a 15 sat. I think given a 15 size, pulley first (diameter and type), distance from rear bolt holes to pulley centre second (has to be spot on) and front bolt holes third in order of importance.

The 15 designation you're speaking of, is that the '15L' on my compressor tag? Toyota DIY says this is the part# for the compressor: 88320-60630 and this for the A/C clutch: 88410-22480 Does that sound right?

Yes, where I am saying 15 or 17 it is referring to 10pa15c or 10pa15l. I've no idea what difference the C or L is but the 15,17, 20 etc will be the pumping capacity of the compressor, the amount of media it will pump per revolution.

I really don't know about Toyota part numbers, but you could try putting those numbers into Amayama.com parts search and see what comes up.

Last edited:
David that is definitely a Toyota part number and is for a compressor without clutch assembly. It's the same number as my 1995 UK RHD 4.2 diesel. I would have every confidence that this would be the correct part number for your car.

It should come with the correct amount of oil in assuming your system is empty.

The "10 pa 15 c" is just a broad category of compressor and is not the part number. The part number is the only number giving the full specification.

David I would get your order in quick if you go to Toyt of supply when I ordered one and although I left my order in they could not give a firm delivery date. That's what spurred me on to rebuild mine.

Well, toyota did invent "just in time". Im told even dealers in japan carry small quantities of stock. If a particular part has sold well in a short space of time, there will be a delay for more stock.

Hey everyone, it's been a while since I've been on the forum as I moved to Angola and took my cruiser with me.

It's been running great, but has recently the A/C has given me some problems. I was at the border with Namibia dealing with some customs agents last week and the A/C was ice cold performing perfectly. I turned the cruiser off for about 10 minutes, then started it up again, and was surprised that the A/C wasn't blowing cold air.

A few minutes later I arrived at my next destination and looked things over to see if maybe a fuse had blown, or perhaps some freon had been leaking out. I couldn't find anything wrong with it. I had a 5 hr drive home that night, and en route, I turned the A/C on while driving just out of curiosity. Fortunately it started blowing ice cold air again. It worked for a while, but though out the following week continued with the same symptoms and now isn't blowing cold air at all. I'm not hearing the A/C clutch kick on like usual, and I've confirmed at all settings, both manual and auto that the clutch isn't engaging.

I pulled out the glove box to see if maybe I could find a relay by the A/C condenser box, but saw nothing.

Can anyone help me here? I'm in Namibe, Angola, and while it's not the hottest time of year, suffice it to say that it's not southern England. We still need A/C. Any thoughts appreciated!
had a similar problem crack in pipe under rubber clamp guy could not find it with pipe under suction as rubber was sealing crack put dye in flurescent engine bay put pipe under pressure you could hear it leaking

Frank, do you have the part number for the complete compressor and clutch assembly? ToyoDIY doesn't.

Thanks again for all your responses. I've sourced some compressors in the USA, but not sure if they'll be a perfect match or not. Also not sure if my friends can fly with an a/c compressor in their checked luggage as it will more than likely have oil in it. Anyone care to weight in on if that's an issue?

I don't think there is such a number. Looks like you have to order both if you need both.

The oil could be emptied out then replaced at your end. It's easily obtained in the correct quantity bottle or just over.

If you need the volumes for replacement let me know.

My compressor came from Germany and it probably went by road then plane. I would say (though it may make no difference) that the oil is better contained in the compressor than in a bottle. I reckon you could chuck the compressor out of a plane at 30,000 feet and it would likely hold its oil after hitting soil (maybe not concrete) but a bottle would surely split on impact with anything. It's the road and environmental damage they worry about. Your pal may need to explain it at security though and as it contains 200cc of oil in its original container, all he would have to do would be to put it in one of those plastic seal up bags they give you and everything will be fine. :)

Seriously there may be duty to pay and if it flags up on the X-ray in his hold luggage, things might get interesting!!

Well, I decided not to risk things with buying a compressor in the USA. I'm working on getting a second hand one rebuilt in Joburg to be carried up by my buddy. It's cooling down significantly here in Namibe, so for now I don't need the A/C. Worse case scenario, I could always remove the compressor and belt, fly it down to Joburg and get it quickly rebuilt while doing some essential supply shopping.

Theres no such thing as a rebuilt compressor, as the main guts, ie, the pistons and cylinders, cant be rebuilt. So they just mix and match parts to get a running compressor, but the pistons and cylinder part is always old, although probably still working.

So if they get a compressor back with a noisy bearing, then it will get a new bearing, and maybe a seal, thats all. Same applies with a leaking seal. Sometimes the valve plate will break without destroying the compressor, but its rare.

So a rebuilt compressor is nothing of the sort, its a repaired compressor. Although they do usually give them a nice coat of paint. The warranties are usually worthless as well, with so many get out clauses, you'll never get a penny back.

If you want to do the job only once, buy a new genuine compressor, and not a new chinese knock off denso compressor that are flooding the market.

Is this the same case with all reman parts like alternators, power steering pumps, etc?

For now, I'll get the one in SA. On my return to the USA, I'll make sure my old one measures up to the new ones available there so I can be sure it'll fit without any worries, and then replace it with something new.

Thanks for the heads up Dave!

Back