Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

A far more interesting thread about bumpers, winches, CBs and snorkels etc.....

Ace-lux

Country Flag
great_britain
So after my MOT work was done, I decided to play with the more exciting bits.....

I've got a nice little stockpile of bits n bobs to go on the 80, and nearly all of it has been bought 2nd hand at bargain prices. I'm handy with a box of spanners and quite like wrenching a bit of life back into used parts
So far I have:
CB radio
30mm aluminium wheel spacers
TJM winch bumper
Snorkel / raised air intake
12kl b winch
2" lift kit

Starting with the TJM bumper:

I found it on eBay complete with a hydraulic winch, it was a bit tatty and in need of TLC a price was agreed and this is how it looked when I collected it.
FE178095-458C-4A37-95A8-F5FF85460C2C.png

I didn't want the hydraulic winch that it came with (personal preference) and promptly sold it for almost as much as I paid for it! Nearly free bumper, bonus!
After a bit of TLC here n there, I decided to colour match the bumper to help give my 80 a "low profile" look.

7AE0D8FA-5FA5-41B1-83FA-590416B74EC3.jpeg

I took a gamble on an untested CTA 12000lb winch, for £80 it came with everything but the cable. Which wasn't an issue as I plan on using synthetic rope.
The solenoids were functioning correctly, but the motor wouldn't turn. It wasn't seized though, so out came the tools.....
2554D4C9-22CC-45AA-A520-117BB15FFCC4.jpeg
72B570E6-82E6-44EC-825E-F5513900F9FA.jpeg

The brushes were seized and everything was a bit messy, but a bit of tinkering and cleaning saw it working without fault.

The bumper is set up to use a winch in the "feet forward" position so when the winch is fully stripped for a rebuild / waterproofing, I will need to rotate the gearbox to allow access to the freespool lever and will maybe rotate the motor to allow more room for the power cables.
543E37ED-DE32-49B3-BAF4-8C823924579F.jpeg
0575A2A2-B054-4F6A-9B7B-2D9C2BF08136.jpeg

All in all, I'm happy with a winch & bumper that so far owes me less than £200 including the lightbar and paint!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Was the Winch cradle already attached to the bumper? I have a ally bar but mounted the winch onto the truck but doesn't sit right behind the bumper.

The bumper came with a built in cradle and hydraulic winch. I think TJM had the cradle / winch as an optional extra as it is possible to just mount the bumper without the cradle.
As for painting, I sanded the bumper then applied an etch primer. After that I filled a few holes and dents before lots more sanding and several coats of primer. The colour and clear are both 1K from my local paint centre. It's not perfect, but its plenty good enough for a daily / green lane 80

Had a look inside the winch gearbox today.... it was as good as expected
FF617308-D6A1-47B2-B8E8-DFCC99591E48.jpeg
EDBC9750-8416-446F-B047-0552CBB816AA.jpeg

I was going to clean it all up, pack it with grease and get it sealed today, but I ran out of grease.
I've never had a winch apart before, its quite interesting with all the planetary gears etc

I pulled my winch apart the other week. Gearbox was full of thick grease and wouldn't freespool. Was advised to clean out as much of it as possible clean up the gears and reassemble with a thinner white ptfe spray grease. Did this and now it works perfectly. I'm not saying this is the correct thing but it certainly sorted mine out.

Last edited by a moderator:
What are the replacement indicators you have fitted to the bumper? Aftermarket or from another car?

The correct TJM replacement lenses were going to be about £80 from Oz iirc, so no chance in hell was I going to pay that!
I bought some ebay special bulb holders, led bulbs, chemical metal and an a4 sheet of orange acrylic. Less than £20 to the door and they look ok!
There were some generic bumper indicators avail, but they were all either too big or too small and none were cheap!

I think I have the same bumper (or one that looks very similar) fitted to mine, but it doesn't have any holes for indicators. I think I will use Mk1 golf indicators, they are a flush mount square unit and would look good style wise. Plus easy to get and not much money.

Looks nice, weigh a fair bit less than wire! Does the rope have similar load capacity? Where did you get it from?

All bought separately on eBay

The rope is rated at just under 9.3 tonnes, so it should do nicely. The hawse is so much nicer looking than rollers!

BUMPER FINALLY ON THE 80!

I've had the bumper since the middle of October and finally managed to get it on the 80 today.
I'd planned on a very lazy day off in the sun (self employed, days off are rare!) but then SWMBO told me she was working from home..........off up to the workshop then

All in all, it has to be the easiest winch bar I've ever fitted and I think it looks awesome.

13006D90-D8E1-47A3-A674-E2DCAE1116FD.jpeg
530A1AD0-A6A6-406C-B6A3-F717594659F1.jpeg

I'd planned on a very lazy day off in the sun (self employed, days off are rare!) but then SWMBO told me she was working from home..........off up to the workshop then
lol.
thats what workshops are for..

Back