Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

A life without risk is not worth living

It was lashing down with rain and we landed on one wheel and instead of straightening up quickly on the landing as usual, it sort of danced on this one wheel and tipped at such an angle that the wingtip hit the grass at the edge of the runway. :wtf:

My goodness! Of course, in a split second, the plane straightened, but everyone on board was silent with blank pale faces as we stepped one by one down the steps, each of us in turn looking at the dripping sod of turf that was stuck to the wingtip!

I'll never forget that flight, lucky to be able to look back on it, I think that's the closest call I've had (if I ignore car incidences!).

I'd say you were very lucky there Clive, when a wing touches the ground it's very likely, even if it doesn't 'dig' in, to slow that side of the plane enough to do a ground loop (that's a horizontal loop not a cartwheel) and then be completely out of control.

I thought we were lucky too, without knowing the technicalities, just some simple physics told me that it could have gone either way. What amazed me was the silence of the passengers. The American movies always show mass hysteria, screaming and crying, we all just got off the plane (almost) as if nothing had happened. I'm sure each one of us had their hearts up in their throats, for sure mine was!

That link doesn't want to work Clive?

Mmm I really haven't mastered this linking business especially on the iPad. It's only another extreme snowboard and ski vid, but I love them. The best is 'The Art of Flight' and in HD it's fantastic!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

The vid I tried to post is called "the balance of powder" not the best but I like them all!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back