Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

A little weeding during Lockdown . . .

BobMurphy

Country Flag
scotland
Nothing to do with Landcruisers - but I thought it might amuse.

June 2016; One of my Beech trees had died and I set about cutting it down (I reported all this at the time):

DSCN6187.jpg

August 2018 I got the main trunk cut (I didn't need the wood before that). I'm 6'2", this is a big tree.

DSCN8428.jpg

Later in August 2018 I hired a 2.7-ton Kubota digger and set about removing the stump.

DSCN8445.jpg

How did that song go . . "For he had high hopes , , high hopes . . High pie in the sky hopes". There was no chance of that mini-digger shifting that.

January 2019 - the farm acquired a JCB 8052 digger. That's a 5-ton job (and I was allowed to use it :thumbup: ).

DSCN8586.jpg

Still no luck, just a bigger hole and more mess. I'll have to think again.

Neighbours suggested Dynamite or Semtex, but its a bit near the garage :whistle:,

I tried burning it out.

DSCN8593.jpg

Nope; that didn't work either. I left it to dry out for a while.

August 2020: I dug under it with an SDS-MAX drill and a long spade bit. The ground is solid clay with rocks and very hard.

Then I set a fire under it:

DSCN9685.jpg

Still no luck - so I bored a hole down from above to act as a chimney that would allow it to draw:

DSCN9687.jpg

I had some partial success with this and ended-up with a hole in the top. Time for more thought.

March 2021, here we are, five years after I started and, at last, one of my ideas actually worked :icon-surprised:.

I thought that if I chainsawed down to isolate a root buttress, then cut a housing 10" long x 5" deep and at least 6" wide spanning the cut, I could lay my 10-ton bottle jack horizontally and force the side of the stump off the main core.

Cutting into soil, dirt and stones with a chainsaw is a no-no, but I decided to sacrifice a chain or two. Three chainsaws (of my eight) were deployed. The cuts were made and, with a 24" power bar on the jack the heaving started.

A deep "CRACK" and the side started to split away. Pity I didn't take pictures.

Using this method I removed three root buttresses - about one third of the stump. They were hauled out with the farm's Merlo Tele-loader and taken to the "garden waste dump".

That left the main core, which I cut in half and started to split. Unfortunately the wood didn't part from the underlying clay and rolled to one side with a massive root ball.

A large off-cut from an earlier felling job kept the two halves apart:

DSCN9960.jpg

Now to get the lumps out.

The Merlo will lift 3.5 tons (fully retracted). It was struggling with this - which is about one-third of the stump.

DSCN9963.jpg

DSCN9966.jpg

And off to the dump.

DSCN9967.jpg

We managed to get the chain to grip this piece, the next one would be a lot more difficult

The final third wasn't free so was pushed, prodded and pulled with the boom.

Then we spent an hour trying to get the chain and my collection of strops to grip it.

Finally we dragged it out.

DSCN9971.jpg

DSCN9972.jpg

DSCN9978.jpg

DSCN9981.jpg

We then tried to lift it safely . . . No, that isn't going to work :doh:.

DSCN9983.jpg

So we resorted to the forks - and away it went.

DSCN9986.jpg

I now have a large hole to fill. I'm putting plant material into it to try to improve the dead clay. I also need about three cubic meters of topsoil to replace the volume of the stump.

Then its back to the JCB try to level the ground. I'll Rotovate it and level it before seeding, but I know it will settle and leave a large hollow over the coming years. Levelling with topsoil and re-seeding is likely to be an annual task.

DSCN9984.jpg

DSCN9988.jpg

I thought weeding was supposed to be a relaxing pastime :icon-biggrin:.

My thanks to my neighbour "Landrover Bob" Webster (there are ten LRs of various shapes around his cottage) for providing invaluable assistance and for driving the Merlo (I can, but he knows all the farm's security codes !). Bob is Secretary of "The Scottish Off-Road Club", hence the excess of LRs.

This turned out to be a five-year project, I wasn't expecting that.

Bob.

WHAT A MESS :doh:.

This is what happens when an Amateur Operator and a clapped-out JCB meet good, wet, sticky CLAY.

I put a couple of cubic meters of well-rotted plant material into the hole then tried back-filling.

I was just getting large clods stuck to the bucket and when I tried 'dozing' it in it just left deep tracks with high sidewalls. When I ran back over those walls I just got more deep tracks and more sidewalls :angry-screaming: .

The JCB is now like a Toffee Apple, I have had to scrape the clay out of the tracks and sprockets - it doesn't wash off with a hose.

I'm going to have to resort to a shovel and fork to get it level - then wait for it to settle and sink :lol:.

One day there will be grass.

DSCN9990.JPG
DSCN9992.JPG
DSCN9995.JPG

DSCN9996.JPG

Tomorrow I'll be digging out a couple of apple tree stumps :icon-wink:.

Bob.

lol.
bob, i think i would of just used the stump as a bird table..

as ever thought, 10/10 for effort and sheer dogged determination.:thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Personally bob I'd just use the ditching bucket at that point and pull it off flat.

Good effort. I've seen and know a few stump grinding guys. I dont know what size they can grind up too as that's a fair stump.

ha ha ha its like MAN v TREE !

Personally I'd have shaped it into a stump chair, or in that case a stump throne..... but well done for not giving up.

Thats what I'm doing, albeit with a much smaller tree, and therefore smaller stump. Its part of a boundary bank, and could cause stability issues if I pulled the stump. So a bench and a spot for a cuppa, and a nice view over the land... I have another in the garden that I'm dreading going near.

20210302_121709.jpg

Thats what I'm doing, albeit with a much smaller tree, and therefore smaller stump. Its part of a boundary bank, and could cause stability issues if I pulled the stump. So a bench and a spot for a cuppa, and a nice view over the land... I have another in the garden that I'm dreading going near.

View attachment 171048

Top marks for not giving up.
The water-table looks high there Bob, I guess that’s why it wouldn't burn.
I've fetched out loads of stumps, but nothing any where near that big.
Nice post:thumbup:

OK . . . That is a fair sized stump :icon-redface:.

And they say the camera never lies :doh:.

That is a great view :thumbup:.

Bob.

We won't get into a stump measuring contest! :lol: . that was serious work you hed getting that out. Fair play for persevering. I probably would have given up

As a postscript to this thread I thought I'd add an update.

Today was quite nice - very light wind, sun & no rain (for a change) so I dug out the Honda rotary and did some cutting . . .

To mis-quote Sandy Nelson - "Let There Be Grass" :thumbup: .

The new grass was very lanky but not as thick as I'd hoped (35 Kilos of seed here :icon-exclaim:). But it will hopefully bush out a bit after a cut.

The question now is . . . "Do I let Greta plant trees all over it" ??

DSCN0217.jpg

DSCN0218.jpg

That mound on the right -

A neighbour was extending his Industrial Building into a field and needed to dump the top soil. What - me pass up free topsoil :icon-surprised:, no way.

However, after 5 x 7-ton tipping trailer loads I had to say "That'll do lads" . . . The rest was dumped down at the woods.

I had recently paid £56 for an 800 Kilo bag of topsoil, this will last me a while :lol:

So far I have shovelled about 9 tons by hand (whilst removing the stones - see those wheelbarrows :icon-wink: ) - Now I think I'm getting arthritis in my right wrist, old age creeping up on me.

I'll borrow the farm's JCB & Telehandler and fill a few bags before using the rest to fill hollows and so on.

DSCN0219.jpg

DSCN0220.jpg

Gardening, such a relaxing pastime.

Bob.

Back