Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

About to buy first 200 series - advice request!

Brett what is this. From Australia videos I thought diesel pre filter is important but a garage told I don’t need it in UK
Hi Raj, also known as a catch can, it separates the oil mist from the exhaust gases that are routes back into the intake manifold. Look on YouTube, Berrima diesel.

My 1HD-FT was really clogged, I think I put a post on here about it. I removed EGR valves and blanked off.

I'd avoid the later one.....if the driver didn't care about it then who knows what else has been done with it.... many 200's coming on the market have been company cars for blokes that run tipper and plant hire businesses.... serviced because they were lease cars but unloved in every other way .

Brett,

I watched Berrima diesel vieos and the Xploringoz video. I watched couple of other videos from xploringoz, this guy gives good advice. I watched Berrima diesel first time today.
I also found another video saying we dont need catch can. Its conflicting info at first glance for me. So from your experience of driving diesels in UK do we need them in UK? and if so anyone you know fits them?
If there is no harm to engine by fitting and even if there is little benefit, I will have it in my to do list.

I'd avoid the later one.....if the driver didn't care about it then who knows what else has been done with it.... many 200's coming on the market have been company cars for blokes that run tipper and plant hire businesses.... serviced because they were lease cars but unloved in every other way .
Exactly the way I'm leaning, it's not bad, it's just not great, and for the money, I want great. I can make it great but the early one appears to be already there. It's just nice to have something a bit newer, and it's got more fruit!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ye I am with Brimbo here. I too saw that on my car. for a 7 year old car, clear coat is peeling off and the mud underneath, dont ask. It came to me, I detailed it, had ceramic coating, cleaned mud, got Krown rust proofing, still lot to do but will get there. Will try to take it as close as possible to stock condition.

Brett,

I watched Berrima diesel vieos and the Xploringoz video. I watched couple of other videos from xploringoz, this guy gives good advice. I watched Berrima diesel first time today.
I also found another video saying we dont need catch can. Its conflicting info at first glance for me. So from your experience of driving diesels in UK do we need them in UK? and if so anyone you know fits them?
If there is no harm to engine by fitting and even if there is little benefit, I will have it in my to do list.
Hmmm, that's a tricky one, I've never fitted one before, but considered it. Main thing that put me off previously was getting hold of a genuine Mann Hummel filter. There are loads of Chinese copies on UK eBay. There's one Aussie on YouTube who reckons fitting a Ryco versions, wrecked his 200 series engine.

These V8's definitely have a lot of blowby so, I think as long as you install a provent, and install correctly, it certainly won't hurt.

Another doubt, I tried to open engine oil sump cap twice but could not open, was not sure if I need any tools so left it. I checked dipstick. The oil from dipstick turned black already. I got it serviced on April30th, did around 1000 miles and oil is black already. Does engine oil in diesel car turn black so soon or do I have to get it changed again.
My other two petrol cars dosent change colour and the dipstick level also stays the same even after 10K miles.

Hey Raj, the oil filler caps on these and my Hilux, really get tight, it's not unusual. Not sure if it's a peculiar trait of the D4D engines? Also, oil goes black really fast in a diesel, much sooner than 1000 miles.

Haven't the funds for a V8 version, but Diesels do dirty their oil quickly and its not helped by people leaving oil changes too long.

3 litre D4D in the Hilux i had from new would keep the oil clean for roughly 1000 miles, it stayed like that for the 3.5 years we kept it because i overserviced it.

Present 3 litre D4D had been serviced annually correctly, but the first oil change it dirtied the oil quickly, so i performed sevral oil changes at probably every 2k miles, also have gone back to buying proper Diesel specific engine oils preferring what i believe are the better cleaning properties of such oils, now the oil stays clean for almost 1000 miles on the present motor despite over 100k miles, proof to me at least that using such oils and regular changes has cleaned the engine up.

Things is overservicing is expensive if you need to rely on garages and unless you supply the oil or specify what you want, or trsut the person implicitly, you could be getting any bulk bought oil put in.
DIY is the answer for in-between or clean up oil servicing even if you get a dealer or mechanic to service it normally for the stamp etc.

I learned many years ago working for a haulier who operated probably the best maintained fleet in the county, that oil is cheap engines gearboxes axles and downtime are not, his OCD attitude to servicing paid him back times over, because after 5 to 7 years usually trouble free running flat out there was a queue of small hauliers and owner drivers itching to buy his defleets.

Jiddian I agree, that overservicing is difficult if not doing DIY. I know a mechanic who can teach me such things but he doesn’t want to touch LC200 :) I am also planning to do this 1K/2K oil change technique so have to convince him to do it n teach me. I am looking at using Toyota motor oil. Is there any other better oil?

Brett, there is a Landcruiser 200 for sale here on the forum. Price not there but all specs n mods r mentioned in detail

Ended up doing a deal on the green one, in the end the service history turned out to be full Toyota, just serviced as well, all at the same dealer who sold it, one owner from new. It was traded in for a new Lexus so Lexus were selling it, they sorted out most of the issues, including full machine polish for scratch removal, and knocked some money off. I've had it a week so far and loving it.

I'm nearly finished on a full deep clean, took out the third row seats and rear carpet which was the worst, removed all the mud and dog hair under the carpet which I then jet washed followed by carpet shampoo with rotary brush and rinse, then Bissel extractor has brought them back to as new, the other carpets weren't as bad so they were cleaned with the Bissel in place. Leather cleaned and balmed the third row, just the middle and front left to do now. Also did the full treatment on the removable mats, and once finished, I've got a new deodorising cabin filter to fit and an aircon bomb. Its smelling and looking loads better already, once the last bits are done it'll be spot on.

Super, congrats. Was going to mention cabin air filter. After getting the car I gave it for major service to Toyota. They said everything is excellent but AC not working so regassed it. Yesterday I checked cabin filter n it’s horrible. I ordered new one. I vacuumed n took of loads of rubbish from the filter

Attachments

• 7F190AA8-9AA4-4BFD-85F6-6A2611BC5AEE.jpeg
    7F190AA8-9AA4-4BFD-85F6-6A2611BC5AEE.jpeg
    620.5 KB · Views: 22
Don't Toyota check the cabin filter on a major service then?

Karl, I thought they would check everything but it appears they won’t. Was watching maintenance videos from Jaffa adventures. I feel With landcruisers it’s best to do maintenance on my own

Back