Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Absolutely Gutted In Morocco

Seems like we sing from the same song sheet Dave.
Radios are classics for having their own fuses either in the back of the case or somewhere in line. The bit that gets me is when you tell somebody that piece of 20A wire coming from the battery terminal, round the gap in the wing and shut in the passenger door would set the vehicle alight in a crash or if vibration wore it through and they just smile and tell you it’s ok. :oops:

I used one of these on mine when I re-wired the leisure battery. It means that you can fuse straight off the battery terminal so that there is no unfused cable (Ok there 1 one unfused cable, which is a dedicated voltmeter cable and is a 1 amp fuse on an 11 amp cable). Each cable runs to a fuse box around the car where it splits for individual devices and is fused appropriately for the cable (and the device).

IMG_6189.JPG

Something I have done is wired cabling to take advantage of marine batteries, they take the off road beating very well, and they are a compromise between a cranking battery and a leisure battery. By doing this you get four terminals on the battery instead of two. I would say though that this is a bit of a two edged sword, if I could not get a pair of four terminal marine batteries 'on the quick' then it will be some faffing about getting the cables connected. The superior construction of marine batteries also means they are expensive compared to the typical two terminal car battery so hunting around for a pair 'on offer' is also not going to happen.

As an after thought I checked back on the service record, the present batteries have been in there 4 years and 5 months ago, but the 80 has only covered 35,000 miles in that time, so they are doing well considering the poor charging regime they suffered in the early days. Now when parked for more than a couple of days I plug in one of the two solar panels to keep them on float.

FWIW my preference is to replace around four to five years, regardless of condition so depending how they go running my fridge when I can GET OUT OF THE HOUSE, they may probably get done later this year?

regards

Dave

Nice to have you back Rich.... Kitchen finished?.... :lol:
Oh I wish H, I wish. Just so I can do more decorating. Y’know sanding, filling, sanding, filling, painting, sanding, you get the picture. Can’t get enough of it!! :eusa-liar:
Thanks.

I used one of these on mine when I re-wired the leisure battery. It means that you can fuse straight off the battery terminal so that there is no unfused cable (Ok there 1 one unfused cable, which is a dedicated voltmeter cable and is a 1 amp fuse on an 11 amp cable). Each cable runs to a fuse box around the car where it splits for individual devices and is fused appropriately for the cable (and the device).

View attachment 165286
That’s nice Nick. There’s no chance the stub of cable between battery and inline fuse is going to be damaged. The rest is very nicely done by the looks of it.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Since it's been two and a half years now ......emotional wounds have healed.....
Wow where did that time go..... good to hear the emotional wounds have healed.

Back