Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Acceptable Rust?

deece

Country Flag
great_britain
Hi All,

New to the forum (my 2nd post) and i'm on a quest to get my first 90...I'm currently looking at a 1997 SWB but a little concerned over chassis rust. Got some pics sent to me by the seller, looks "okay" but on closer inspection seems it may have some cover up chassis spray going on what do you guys think? Attached some pics

1 (3).jpg1 (4).jpg1 (5).jpg1.jpg

Thanks
Deece

Last edited:
Doesn't look like a cover up to me , more like a half arsed attempt at stopping the progress of rust . Check the brackets on the rear axle and rear body mounts these are known to break but its far from a common occurrence .

Hard to tell from the photos really. You need to get under there and check it out for yourself, and like Shayne said, check the axle main support brackets.

Thanks for the responses guys, unfortunately i will be importing the vehicle so cant check it out for myself. Was thinking of paying for a RAC vehicle check , has anyone used them before?

UK to Jersey Channel Islands, also looking at possible Japan import.. Can anyone recommend any Japan bidding sites that are reliable?

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Guys I really do appreciate all the feedback , and the time you've taken to answer my questions. I'm thinking I might pull the trigger on the 97. I've got some more pictures of the chassis and under carriage. I will also get mechanic to have full good look at it. The plan being that i'll hang on to it until a better one comes up for sale in Jersey. The body work and interior is clean . Here some more snaps of the carriage:

1 (14).jpg1 (12).jpg1 (11).jpg1 (10).jpg1 (9).jpg1 (8).jpg1 (7).jpg

That looks pretty good to me and i can honestly say i can't replace my 1998 swb Colorado because nothing improves on it . Took few quid in mods to make it the best truck on the planet mind but you can ask about that when you have been driving yours a month and decide you don't want to replace it :icon-wink:

Thanks Shayne, looking forward to being a member of the LC club, have a mechanic checking it out this week, hopefully all is good! :handgestures-finge:
My only concern is parts availability in the UK. For my defender you can pretty much get parts everywhere , is it easy enough to get parts for the older 90 series LC?

Parts are not a problem i use Roughtrax mostly but Toyota can still provide everything and there's plenty of breakers . I think you said its a 1kz-te so a new thermostat and radiator is advised if it hasn't already been done .

Doesn't look like a cover up to me , more like a half arsed attempt at stopping the progress of rust . Check the brackets on the rear axle and rear body mounts these are known to break but its far from a common occurrence .

Its not looking to good, the Mechanic did a thorough check, he sounded like a really good guy who knew his stuff.

He mentioned a number of things but the one thing that stood out, is he spotted pretty bad rust around the left rear body mount. He mentioned it may require welding in the future :( other than that its in pretty tidy shape.

I'm still keen, but I know I'm thinking with my heart instead of my brain . How much of job is this? Maybe i should just walk away from this one.

Last edited:
Not a big job at all for anyone who can drive a welder especially if its not broken , a few on here have broken and repaired it i think . It's a weak point along with the big mounts on the rear axle so if you get it get both beefed up at the same time . Remember its 19 years old and you have to respect that but i bet the chassis is better than the 120 you had and what age was that ?

Hi Shayne, you're right the chassis was it much better nick then 120.. The Chassis members and floor/chassis were reported to be good.

I have a report from the mechanic, who i must say was pretty darn thorough.

These are all the things he said are in poor condition, so just trying to calculate what I need to spend.

Steering joints/ball joints • O.S.F. Lower Ball Joint Boot Split and leaking slightly
Gaiters/boots • O.S.F. Lower Bottom Ball Joint rubber split and leaking slightly
Linkage (wear) • Gear Stick has excess play
Coolant/antifreeze level • Anti Freeze content low and Coolant Rusty coloured
Power steering fluid level • Level Low and fluid is brown in colour and should be red
Brake fluid level • Brake Fluid is Green in colour but should be Dot3 type which is golden in colour
Anti-roll bar • N.S.F Anti-Roll Bar bush deteriorated
Sub frames/mountings • N.S.R. Body to Chassis mounting is corroded and flaking
Hand/parking brake operation/adjustments • Handbrake travel excessive 10 clicks to full on
General steering/handling • Steering Wheel right of centre when travelling straight - may need tracking checked

Think i have done all but sub frames and mountings as general maintenance over 4 years of ownership . Excessive play in gear stick is the only thing that stands out and i don't know how to read that . My 1998 truck has about 130k miles on it and the gear stick is a lot looser than the one in my 100k 2001 truck , this is something i noticed the day i bought the newer truck and have never thought about since .

Perhaps some others can offer some input ?

Is this truck in Jersey therefore saving you how much (£1700?) on import duties and tests ?

Must admit i feel like taking the cowards way out and saying don't buy it just in case i steer you wrong !

Think i have done all but sub frames and mountings as general maintenance over 4 years of ownership . Excessive play in gear stick is the only thing that stands out and i don't know how to read that . My 1998 truck has about 130k miles on it and the gear stick is a lot looser than the one in my 100k 2001 truck , this is something i noticed the day i bought the newer truck and have never thought about since .

Perhaps some others can offer some input ?

Is this truck in Jersey therefore saving you how much (£1700?) on import duties and tests ?

Yep not too sure about the gear stick, think its not too bad, excess play rather than excessive, the car is not in Jersey unfortunately, so i would be paying the import duties. I'm looking at around £4,500 all in :icon-sad:

The decision is ultimately mine so don't worry, I wont coming knocking on your door and blaming you if i go ahead with it :icon-biggrin:
If anything you have been a tremendous help, and I really appreciate the time you've taken to comment on my posts!

Well looking at the report it's rubber and oil , the problem is spanner monkeys charge a fortune , so the question is do you have a tool box ?

In fact its on the mainland so depending where it is i would again say call Freedom 4x4 , Trev and Ed have probably read your thread already and if not they will find it easy enough . So see what they can offer by way of collection and repair :think: i think Trev was one of those that replaced a broken body mount on his swb 90 before he set up business . These guys know all there is to know about swb 90's because they both owned one .

Don't forget a new rad and thermostat .

Assuming the trucks not located a million miles from them you could collect a good truck done and dusted from their shop and you only have to travel over to take it home .

That's a good shout, I will get in contact with them and get their thoughts on a possible inspection and work carried out. thanks

Cool i might get a discount if i ever get there for them to sort out my winch as planned months ago :lol:

Back