Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Admiral Insurance

warrenpfo

Just had a chat with Admiral as my reg has changed and had to update with them. In the process I was talking to the chap about adding a front bumper and the associated cost. I then asked if I was required to add a winch to the bumper as my understanding is that by law if you have a bumper and winch it is then classed as a tool and so is legal. He had no idea as to what I was talking about and went off to talk to his superior. After 5 min he came back and said not required if I was to just add the bumper they would still cover me with out adding a winch.

Where would I stand if I was in an accident or worse hit a person with Admiral saying they would insure me without a winch fitted.

I had a chat to the underwriters here about that when I had mine fitted, albeit, with a winch. If they have said they will cover you and there is no ambiguity about what they have said then they have accepted the risk (i.e. will insure it) and as such, will pay out any claims for it.

Not sure if printing this out and showing it in court would change anything if a) they were wrong b) the alleged fact that it is illegal without a winch overrides any terms.
It's worth noting the time and date of the call (we record everything but hand on heart, some calls do go missing), who you spoke to and ask now for a transcript of the call as they're obliged to give it to you. Don't be surprised if they then cover their arse by making themselves to expensive for you.

On another note though, surprising that Admiral did not mind the bumper. They got all upset with me and the 120. They also very clearly stated that they will not cover me as I took part in 4x4 activities. I explained Lincomb and they were not interested all. Not with covering me while playing but on a whole. He would go no further with the conversation. I asked about greenlaning and it was the same.
The only "4x4" activity which would be covered is if you went to go visit your friend on a farm and by that very fact, you had to drive across the field, that would be covered. Recreational was out....

Bear that in mind if you ever have a claim with them or clear it up beforehand.

Suspect the 3rd party may have a valid claim as the law will take precedence over what a tele-sales bloke says - even if the law is fuzzy.

Insurers being what they are, they'll likely say the same thing and stiff you for the whole amount (ie refuse the claim). I'd google the law first I think.

Cheers

Thanks, I have a winch and am happy to fit even if its just to cover my ass but if I can leave it in the shed then I may as well.

I have not asked Admiral to cover me for 4x4 activity as to be honest apart from a drive around Salisbury I have not done any 4x4 activity and if I was to go anywhere then would look at once off cover for the event or overland trip.

I have not asked Admiral to cover me for 4x4 activity as to be honest apart from a drive around Salisbury I have not done any 4x4 activity and if I was to go anywhere then would look at once off cover for the event or overland trip.

The paranoid amongst us would never mention that you take it around Salisbury. It's private land and you're there for recreation. The second I mentioned that to them they refused to do anything else. Even if I promised never to go off road or to accept that any claim off-road would not be made against them. It was like saying the word "bomb" at and airport - it could not be undone. he also said that I needn't bother calling Elephant or another one who's name I forget as they all the same company and share the info.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just to clarify I did have cover for the 2 times I was at Salisbury but not through Admiral. It worked out at £40 for the day.

I would hate to be seen as doing anything inappropriate. I am always covered
:icon-biggrin:

I got the same experience as Crispin with elephant. Mentioned snorkel and they were fine, then in a casual conversion while the computer was loading I was asked a couple of questions about the truck. He then realised that a snorkel may be used for crossing rivers and that was it, could not take the conversion any further.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I found it cheaper to get std insurance through one provider and then 4x4 insurance for the 1% that I use it offroad through a 3rd party.

Some time ago I had a Lada Niva, don't laugh, it was a very capable 4x4, anyway, had insurance through the AA with Norwich.

I wanted to remove the original ally bumpers, and put some 3" x1.5" box section bumpers/nerf bars awith built in recovery points, tow ball/jaws offset on the front and shackles on the back..........told AA and they eventually came back, and said that they couldn,t find a company to insure me..at all.. so I had to promise them that I wouldn't do it....:whistle:
Eventually went to Adrian Flux, and been with them eversince.

Back