Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Adventures in EGR removal and fuel trimming

YES!!! I noticed that. I just thought it broke.
You can reset these. With the window closed, from the window switch on the door (don't use the driver's side control panel) press and hold the down bottom untill fully open and hold for 10 sec, then close and hold for 10secs. Do the same for all 4 windows and it should be fixed

So do we mean main mileage or just trip meters? Trip meters who cares but main mileage would be a different story......
The trip meters, the mileage is fine.

You can reset these. With the window closed, from the window switch on the door (don't use the driver's side control panel) press and hold the down bottom untill fully open and hold for 10 sec, then close and hold for 10secs. Do the same for all 4 windows and it should be fixed
Brilliant, I'll do this at lunch time.

I mean, it's daft. It's dafter than the center console bin on the Peugeot 3008 which opens towards the driver - as they couldn't be bothered to swap the hinge around from the LHD models.

That can't have been the best solution to that problem?

I mean, it's daft. It's dafter than the center console bin on the Peugeot 3008 which opens towards the driver - as they couldn't be bothered to swap the hinge around from the LHD models.

Or the mercedes center console cup holder that springs out and hits the driver on RHD models.... for exactly the same reason !

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
So at this fill up (£86 for 44 litres) I’ve managed to do 28mpg. Slight decrease, but it’s had the battery removed/disconnected so may have affected the ECU as it relearns everything.

Although more is better, I would find that acceptable.
I never check mine, it is what it is, unless I'm filling up more often. It always difficult to get an accurate figure anyway, even driving the same route every day can vary with conditions.

I was in a rush when I wrote that, but wanted to jot it down. That's after 300 miles of my usual mixed driving. So about 450 miles since the ECU was reset. It's acceptable, I need to remind myself that when I fill up! Did that yesterday and thought "christ this isn't the right car for the times is it". I drove half a mile down the road and then thought "it's well worth the second mortgage".

It's driving really well though, so I am not complaining. Would love to get 30mpg!

Realised I’ve not checked the oil on this since I did the injectors, and I went out to check it this evening. I also turned the fuel trim down to 5% just to see what difference in driving I’ll feel in that 2% - if any. It’s not used any oil as far as I can tell.

I was about to close the bonnet when I thought I should check fuel lines, just because, and I spotted a bit of oil on top of the EGR cooler. I didn’t think a lot of it because I remember there being a little bit of oil on there when I put it back. I put my hand under the rubber pipe going from the intercooler in to the throttle body and it is a little damp at the join to the throttle body.

Any rough ideas as to what is causing this? Fairly sure the jubilee clip is tight, there’s no smoke, and it seems to be running well. There’s not a lot of oil at all, so it’s either not leaking a lot or it’s just started.

Does TonyC has a workshop/automobile business? I am thinking of throttle body clean now but if I have some professional beside me, I might try EGR, MAF and throttle body clean (and turbo clean? if its done for landcruisers) all together to see if there is anymore power increase/responsiveness and also just want to baseline the car as close as possible to stock condition.

Does TonyC has a workshop/automobile business? I am thinking of throttle body clean now but if I have some professional beside me, I might try EGR, MAF and throttle body clean (and turbo clean? if its done for landcruisers) all together to see if there is anymore power increase/responsiveness and also just want to baseline the car as close as possible to stock condition.
He’s in Cyprus, so if you fancy a holiday…

The cleaning of the throttle body and EGR are fairly easy. Just get £10 of petrol and a tooth brush and get the crud off.

My main issue with the EGR was the plume of black smoke I’d have under acceleration, along with a dirty rear sooty bumper. Since I did the EGR delete (nearly 1,000 miles in) and I’ve got none of that now. My only issue now is this slight bit of oil under the throttle body.

I'm not sure 1 or 2 influencers in his deletion that hardly ever/dont post would agree.

Last edited:
I’ve done a fair bit of driving.

Normal bit of driving first since the last update, and it returned 29mpg. Great.

So a few weeks ago I did a trip to Heathrow from Stourbridge, constant speed of 60mph, and I swear I was getting high 30’s. After 500 miles on the tank, I filled up on the 25th July and it returned 32mpg. Great!

Since then somethings gone awry. I noticed today that it seems to have used a bit more diesel. Filled the half tank up today, 168 miles since the fill above, and it’s returned 24mpg.

There are two possible causes. The first is the PCV thing which I’ve ordered a replacement of, as there is a bit of oil where the intercooler joins the throttle body. £51 Thanks Mr.T.

The second possibility is that the diesel I bought is shit. I filled up at an independent as it was 5p less than my usual Sainsburys. Sainsburys is the same now so I filled up half the tank today with it.

I’ve not really noticed it down on power, there’s no smoke, just this oil residue. The PCV will be here tomorrow so I’ll fit that and keep an eye on it.

Driving to different places, stop/start? More use of the Aircon? Hmmm.....

Back