Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Advice Needed - Colorado 52 Plate

stuhutchuk

Hi, I'm new to the forum and looking for some advice on a Colorado 52 plate I bought 5 months ago.

I bought the car off of a dealer and it has unfortunately developed a number of issues that I wasn't advised of at the time. The car receipt says sold as spares but the original advert I bought the car based on has it as a perfectly functioning car. The car does run - engine and transmission are fine, but to pass its MOT I will need to spend 3k plus getting a new sump, fuel lines, exhaust system and tyres.

My options at the moment as far as I can tell are:

1. Pursue the case with the dealership - having spoke to a few garages I'm not overly optimistic
2. Sell the car as spares
3. Sell the car for export

Can anyone on the forum advise on the bottom two points? Or if they have a view on the first one please let me know.

Thanks

Stuart

I can't see how those items you've mentioned are going to come to £3k?? Perhaps if you sourced all the bits and had them fitted at a main delaer then, yes, perhaps.

However there are many other (cheaper) and good sources and most garages will fit a sump/exhaust etc. even if you can't DIY.

Might be worthwhile speaking to CAB or Trading Standards about what you might be able to claim against the seller?

Add: Welcome BTW - always nice to introduce yourself and your truck, so that we have a better idea of what you/we are talking about.

Last edited:
My first thought was that you were turned over by the dealer and this may be the case, but a 'perfectly functioning car' could be careful description and 'sold as spares' covers them for no MOT.

It may be that caveat emptor comes in here though I do feel your pain (even if the pain is from your own boot) and have done similar myself in the past.

Advice…hmm, litigation, could be costly, (particularly in time and heartache) undoubtedly won't end how you imagine, even if you get the judgement in your favour.

Sell for spares, depends on whether you want to break it and have a carcass lying around in various stages of dismemberment. Might get you money back but could be hassle.

Sell for export, might get your money back but could be hassle.

What I would advise…
Do you love it and want to keep it? Is it pretty good other than the things you mention? If so, those parts can be easily changed DIY, good opportunity to get a bespoke larger bore exhaust made and to get the tyres of YOUR choice fitted to rims you may consider refurbing. Tyres and exhaust are of course consumable items but will last well if you choose well.

Fuel lines are a known and probably don't cost the earth, an easy ish fit at a guess.

Sump, probably a second hand one somewhere to be had and again not a big job to change DIY.

At the end of it you have the truck you wanted and the satisfaction that you pulled a positive result out of it and learned a lesson or three in the process.

Then you'll have that cruiser grin I expect. [emoji4]

Last edited:
My first thought was that you were turned over by the dealer and this may be the case, but a 'perfectly functioning car' could be careful description and 'sold as spares' covers them for no MOT.

When I bought my 120, the dealer insisted on this going on the receipt because I wanted to knock off the price of the supplied warranty, and not have the warranty, obviously. Maybe the same thing here?

Maybe if the poster can give us a better breakdown of what is needed? At the moment I can see maybe £1500 worth of repairs.

There is an expectation that you will check the car when you buy it, and some of those items are obvious to even the least trained eye - the sump is leaking oil I assume - the tyres are damaged or illegal - the exhaust is blowing.

5 months of trouble free motoring arent going to support any sort of civil claim, particularily if its come to light as part of a rudimentary pre-mot check.

Of all those, the only one that may be fiddly are the fuel line.

If its a k-dtv engine and runs well I'd pay for the job at a decent local garage and enjoy another 10 years of motoring. That shape 95 looks great and its got the best engine in it.

Apologies for the delay in posting again and thanks all for your responses. First a quick intro:

I have owned 3 landcrusiers to date

White Lightning Model - out in Australia
White not so lightning older model Colorado - in the UK a few years back
Current one – 52 plate, 3.0, D4D engine, Colorado, 106k on the clock

I’ve taken the vehicle for a service and the following need replacing:

Sump
Fuel Pipes - return and main
Exhaust tail pipe
Back Diff
Tyres
Brakes – discs, pads and calipers
Probably suspension springs
Radiator

This is where I need some help/advice – I haven’t got the time or facilities at the moment to fix and the MOT is looming in mid May.

I’ve had a mechanic give it the once over and say it will cost more to replace items than what the car is worth, hence my immediate reaction to sell it for spares for what I know works and also look into Export. This might be an overreaction though.

Does anyone have any good contacts re: Exporting or Breaking for spares, or as I would really rather keep the truck a good contact to fix it, if I can source the spare parts?

I'm based in Nottingham but willing to travel to get someone to look at it - I think the local places I have been too are concerned of the size of the job and would rather take on easier work...

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Errm, I've got to ask this, but who says all that needs 'replacing' and why? My gut says to take it for a second opinion.

Tyres, consumable and pretty obvious.
Brakes, the same. Probably about right time to change the discs (?)

Suspension springs… at 106k?? Ok, if they do, would you do a small lift? Say 2" perhaps?

The thing is, if you love the truck, who cares if it's more money than it's worth (to who?). Maybe it's worth it to you if it's good in other areas and would be a keeper.

Is this perhaps one for Trevor and Ed at Freedom 4x4? Brackley, 11/2hrs away.

Something about this thread troubled me from the start , it just doesn't add up , did this "mechanic" offer to do you a favour and take it off your hands by any chance ?

Hey wait a minute :think: a main dealer will push for new parts over simple repair every time . Could that be it ?

Last edited:
What you really need is someone that knows Cruisers, taking a good look and giving you a honest and realistic inspection report and estimate - then you can make an informed decision as to what you do next. We can try and guestimate over the internet but I don't think it will really help.

As Shayne says, give Trevor and Ed a call at Freedom4x4, they're not far from London and arrange for them to give it the once over. It will be worth it in the long run if you are serious about this (or any other) Cruiser. I'm sure they'll be able to give the low down on it within a hour or so - probably much less.

WRT the items on the list, most of those are wear and tear items and others would be things that you would replace at this age/mileage on the truck, especially if you're considering keeping it for a few years;

Exhaust tail pipe
Tyres
Brakes – discs, pads and calipers
Probably suspension springs
Radiator

The only unusual items are the sump and fuel lines and I can't imagine huge bills to replace them.

When you say "rear diff" - do you mean the rear diff locker? Or is the mechanic saying that you need a replacement rear axle? (due to corrosion etc.)

I gotta agree with the sentiments of others here " something just doesn't add up " , considering the supposed extremely low mileage , replacing rear axle , fuel lines , radiator and sump would not be required , I can't imagine any reason to replace the sump unless it has had a severe hit and cracked , if its only a leaking gasket that would be a simple gasket replacement . A second opinion would be mandatory in my opinion , other than that the mileage number may be a little understated , good luck getting it sorted .. cheers Mick

Agreed, mileage was my other thought.

The truck certainly needs looking at by someone known and trusted before you do anything.

Last edited:
Had first mot in my ownership on a 2001 Colorado with 103k on the clock yesterday , i didn't even replace the windscreen wipers which i think are rubbish and 2 of the tyres looked dodgy enough for me to point them out to the bloke and say , advisory please i've got wheels coming from China and mud tyres to order .

It failed because it needs new brake pads on the drivers wheel and new bushes on the steering rack but no advisories at all they even commented on what a cracking vehicle it was .

Sump leak suggests to me it has the wrong oil in there - oil change is regular maintenance .
Fuel pipes won't fail if there not leaking
Wrap some gum around the tail pipe it will pass the emissions test so who cares .
Tyres might surprise you and even if you get an advisory it gives you time to get some more , they do wear out unfortunately .
Change your brake pads and get some red rubber grease under the rubber piston seals then get out a do some very heavy breaking , as long as they work they have a chance of passing .
Springs are probably an advisory even if they are shot which again gives you time .
Radiator has nothing to do with safety and so shouldn't enter into the mot equation .

Now where the hell did i put all the good bushes when i changed the steering rack on my other truck :doh:

Last edited:
Back