Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Advice on 80 series rear helper air supports inside springs

ronjulee

Country Flag
australia
Towing a heavy caravan and require advice on what to get for air bag helpers inside the existing rear springs. Recently had suspension upgrade (+2").

Really you should be balancing the nose weight better on the van. Shouldn't be more than you can move up and down by hand on the tow ball regardless of what it weighs in terms of pulling. Ideally something like 50 to 70 kgs max. The rear springs shouldn't really be feeling the weight at all.

Can't remember the exact make that I have in my 80, they make a big difference when fully loaded, (don't know about the towing side of things though), I believe that Matt savage 4x4 do them, Google his website.

andy

Airhelper is the brand I think. Whether you can get those in Perth though I can't say. FNB in Adelaide do, but that's about as far away as Matt to be fair.

G'day mate I run the firestone airbags in a non cruiser , similar weight though , make sure when you fit them there is enough line to extend all the way through suspension travel full suspension +10% at least , I know this for a fact , been down that road
you can get Kevlar sleeves if needed to raise the pressure ( 35lb Max without sleeves 70lb Max with sleeves )
a very good load aid when used correctly , I use them to tow my camper , which has a fairly excessive ball weight , I have on board air so I can get to camp towing /loaded up ,unhitch /unload and reset to go 4x4
make sure the air line is cut nice and sq too
cheers Graham

Back