Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

advice on buying 80 series 15,000 good price?

grantl1983

Country Flag
australia
Looking at buying a second hand HDJ80R
it has around 380,ooo km on the clock is a 92. Asking price is around 15,000.

Would you guys avoid getting a 80 series with that much km's on the clock? or would it not worry you that much?

Apart from getting a ppi, what kind of things should I be looking out for, and how much are you guys paying for them ball park figures?

Would you guys avoid getting a 80 series with that much km's on the clock? or would it not worry you that much?

Apart from getting a ppi, what kind of things should I be looking out for, and how much are you guys paying for them ball park figures?

Hello, I live in New Zealand and bought same year model a few months ago. I paid 11750 nzd with 272k on the clock. That is a lowish mileage over here most are around the ks you are looking at. If its been well maintained and you keep up the oil changes etc I hear they can run over the million. I have had to do bit to mine including alternator and unfortunately the centre diff motor too. $1000! I would check for functioning centre diff lock for sure. They motors all seem to be a bit smokey at idle. Mine smokes at idle, more so when cold and blows a bit of black but burns no oil. Check for rust where the inner guard mounts to the firewall. Its not a major structural issue but is a rust prone area on 80s. Electric window issues are a common fault but not too bad to fix. I thought long and hard about buying an older truck vs a new vehicle but the purchase price and ease of fixing and spare parts swayed me to an older truck. I drive milk tankers for a living and asked a mechanic about older diesels and he said older and simpler is the way to go for serious 4x4 use. A work mates father had a near new 79 series v8 diesel and got a bad batch of fuel from a country service station. Did'nt make it home and would you believe $13000 later was back on the road! I don't know the australian market obviously but if its straight and tidy and runs well there is not too much you can't sort yourself. Hope I hav'nt rambled too much! Cheers Jason

Hello, I live in New Zealand and bought same year model a few months ago. I paid 11750 nzd with 272k on the clock. That is a lowish mileage over here most are around the ks you are looking at. If its been well maintained and you keep up the oil changes etc I hear they can run over the million. I have had to do bit to mine including alternator and unfortunately the centre diff motor too. $1000! I would check for functioning centre diff lock for sure. They motors all seem to be a bit smokey at idle. Mine smokes at idle, more so when cold and blows a bit of black but burns no oil. Check for rust where the inner guard mounts to the firewall. Its not a major structural issue but is a rust prone area on 80s. Electric window issues are a common fault but not too bad to fix. I thought long and hard about buying an older truck vs a new vehicle but the purchase price and ease of fixing and spare parts swayed me to an older truck. I drive milk tankers for a living and asked a mechanic about older diesels and he said older and simpler is the way to go for serious 4x4 use. A work mates father had a near new 79 series v8 diesel and got a bad batch of fuel from a country service station. Did'nt make it home and would you believe $13000 later was back on the road! I don't know the australian market obviously but if its straight and tidy and runs well there is not too much you can't sort yourself. Hope I hav'nt rambled too much! Cheers Jason

Thanks alot seems 15k is still abit over priced. Yeah, I see alot of ppl putting extra fuel filters on newer trucks like 79, 76 series.

are you going to add any extra fuel filters ?

My good friend has recently returned to Australia and before He left He really liked my 24v conversion on my 1991 hdj81.. I spoke recently to him and said that the 1hdtft engines cost 6000 AU dollars! So when you look at 15000 AU dollars for a whole truck then it sounds not so bad! If you can look at it that way!

If it's a good one and you have the dollar... go for it!:thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Go direct if you can ....
https://www.tradecarview.com/used_car/toyota/land cruiser/?fid=1990&jid=1998

15000 AU dollars converts to about 8300 failing pounds! Is there any difference in price to the one's that are for sale here?! The Japanese market is from what I've read previously that a 120,000 truck is actually a 220,000 km truck or 320,000 .. Or a 60,000km truck is/could be a 260000km truck..etc. When ever you buy a vehicle you should see if all the digits actually line up completely on the odometer after being run for a while!

Mine has a mix of 158000 km/miles on it and the chassis mount for the steering box suggested that it had done well over 300000 kms/miles or more like the Australian 80's that suffer the same problem!!

Even the Japanese use their 81's! Just my opinion after research!

15000 AU dollars converts to about 8300 failing pounds! Is there any difference in price to the one's that are for sale here?! The Japanese market is from what I've read previously that a 120,000 truck is actually a 220,000 km truck or 320,000 .. Or a 60,000km truck is/could be a 260000km truck..etc. When ever you buy a vehicle you should see if all the digits actually line up completely on the odometer after being run for a while!

Mine has a mix of 158000 km/miles on it and the chassis mount for the steering box suggested that it had done well over 300000 kms/miles or more like the Australian 80's that suffer the same problem!!

As a matter of interest Iwan, was the chassis rusted at the steering box, or just cracked?

Mine had 212k km on it bog standard when I got it, and since I’ve pushed it up to 412k km with 305/70/16 (33”) tyres on it. The chassis cracked on the weld seams by the steering box last year, but there’s no sign of rust.

You're correct I'm sure even the Japanese have their Arthur Daleys.
I see a lot of them in NZ still with the Japanese stickers on the back and I have to say most of them are in excellent condition. Buyer beware I guess always applies.
I bought my 80 over the phone without even seeing it, took the guy at his word and got him to send me a few pics, It was a very nervous few weeks for me till I actually saw it.

As a matter of interest Iwan, was the chassis rusted at the steering box, or just cracked?

Mine had 212k km on it bog standard when I got it, and since I’ve pushed it up to 412k km with 305/70/16 (33”) tyres on it. The chassis cracked on the weld seams by the steering box last year, but there’s no sign of rust.

Mine had cracks on the outside to the shape of the steering box with rust between the two and around the brace bar mount on the inside but no rust there! From the moment that I fitted the 35" yokohama geolanders it showed up symptoms. Before that it had 275/75 16 tyres but the passenger side front had very odd wear.

This made me very suspicious cause of the low milage so I started looking into the traits of the sellers/exporters on the Japanese market!

You're correct I'm sure even the Japanese have their Arthur Daleys.
I see a lot of them in NZ still with the Japanese stickers on the back and I have to say most of them are in excellent condition. Buyer beware I guess always applies.
I bought my 80 over the phone without even seeing it, took the guy at his word and got him to send me a few pics, It was a very nervous few weeks for me till I actually saw it.

The vehicles definitely are in great shape! I've previously looked a lot at the tradecarview site, there used to be many hj61's on there but there's a sign that they're getting a bit thinner on the ground and the prices have risen for whats left. I was very keen to buy one but I really wanted to be able to own it for 6 months before shipping as the import duty rule changes after that time span.

Really interesting to hear your good experience and I guess it's the luck of the draw to land on the right one from pictures etc! I used to import vintage Japanese Greco les paul guitars from Japan. It was a mix of suspense and excitement waiting for it to arrive! Some were very good others well... not quite as good as expected Lol!

Back