Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

advice on over land trip to sweden.

mattp41

Country Flag
great_britain
Hi i have a Land cruiser Kzj95 its standard at the moment but with full roof rack and rear spot light, BFG ATs all round, I'm looking to go on a long trim 6 ,months to a year around Germany and sweden, ill be on my own and would like a list of mods/work i would do to the LC before i go,I'm going to take out all the rear seats and build a sleeping platform and storage…also ill be driving up to northern sweden in the winter so would like to know what i can do to the LC for there very cold winter, thanks matt

After sleeping in my 80 at Stratford earlier in the year, (where it went down to -3 overnight) I would say that lifting the carpets and replacing them with multi layer insulation underneath would be a must. The Eberspacher heater under the seat was also very well received but I only used it to warm things up in the morning as it would have been too noisy otherwise.

I blocked out the windows individually at the last minute with the sun blinds you get from Halfords but if I were to do it again I would use closed cell foam board and cut it to size to just push fit in. I would say insulate well rather than heat for the trip. Condensation was a bit of a problem after two of us sleeping in the truck overnight.

Last edited:
I'll be mighty disappointed if you don't include Norway in your plans! :eusa-snooty::violin::icon-biggrin:

Hi i have a Land cruiser Kzj95 its standard at the moment but with full roof rack and rear spot light, BFG ATs all round, I'm looking to go on a long trim 6 ,months to a year around Germany and sweden, ill be on my own and would like a list of mods/work i would do to the LC before i go,I'm going to take out all the rear seats and build a sleeping platform and storage…also ill be driving up to northern sweden in the winter so would like to know what i can do to the LC for there very cold winter, thanks matt

So driving in northern Sweden in winter you can expect to hit some VERY low temperatures.....the lowest we got was -41C/-41F in Karasjok (where they test new models by the way). You will need some form of block heater OR will have to leave the engine running all night. The Swedes mostly use electrical hook-up for this. However, I used a Webasto tied into the engine coolant circuit: these are noisy. Most of the roads north of the arctic circle are left iced....to protect the surface. I used MTs and drove over 2000 miles on ice without problems (bit slippy at times). Locals use studded tyres and will race past ordinary tyres.

At those sorts of temperatures oil goes almost solid (even 5W30), diesel gets very waxy even when treated (local garages all have winter mix so fill up when you can as you go north to make sure you are using winter mix and not anything else. Even with an engine block heater the oils in diffs/gearbox etc go so stiff that it feels like the handbrake is one until things get warmed up.

Other issues I had included: iced up brake disks (couldn't stop on first application of brakes in the morning), windscreen heater unable to keep ice off the screen, wipers flopping around with a ball of ice on the end as the chill factor made even the best local screen wash turn to ice (neat). As per the above post pay special attention to vehicle insulation.

If you're camping (as I did) you will need some serious arctic gear - if you're going in cabins then very few are open in the far north in Winter. Many areas outside of the towns are remote and spaced out - consider what you will do if you break down or skid off the road (common).

Investigate arctic equipment for your vehicle with Toyota/here.....I drove up in a Defender 110 and had to add a heater element to the crankcase breather pipe.....for example.

Diesels don't generate much heat and the engine may struggle to heat AND create enough energy to warm the cabin too....particularly if you're crawling along in fog/ice storm etc.....I tried a rad-muff and it was next to useless. You could try heater screen washer jets as after market.

My trip was to Nordkapp and back via Sweden, Finland and Baltic coast in Jan/Feb. Stunning scenery and I'd definitely do it again even with the driving challenges

Oh....one other thing, your batteries will take a pounding at those sorts of temperatures and with heater/wipers/demist/heated seats etc on full and probably much of the time.....I used Odyssey AGM which are good to -60 IIRC

Anti-freeze mix is an important topic too.....there is a point beyond which you don't get even more protection (60%???)....but I think that only gets you to -35C. A truck in our group went home on a flatbed, the engine ruined by ice

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
not sure if doing this solo is the way to go either. Might want to tag along with a group if at all possible.

I did a similar trip from Murmansk to Gamvik and down through Finland in winter (Nov/Dec) passing through the town of Karasjok, where it all went horribly wrong. Temperatures plunged to -35.6C and the engine just died. Everything turned to gloop, even the coolant was milkshake texture. Yellow Top Optimas couldn't crank, and all oils like syrup. Locals are most helpful - charged my batteries and yes all their cars are plugged into engine heaters. Only thing in liquid form was the Vodka. I was stuck for a few days. Though a combination of warming the engine with my camping stove (not recommended) and the temperature rising to -26C I was soon on my way.
I was camping in a roof tent. Make sure you have a properly graded sleeping bag and stuff your clothes down by your feet and wear a beanie. Do a few star jumps before getting into your sleeping bag, otherwise you will never warm up.
I was driving on Discoverer STT, most the time with 2 side tyres on fresh snow eeking out what grip I could find, otherwise its ice (check on tyres as I think its against the law not to drive with winter tyres).
Don't take the cold temperature lightly...your brain simply doesn't function and your hands don't work. So be prepared for the worst and enjoy the 'lights'

Hey, both Gamvik and Karasjok is in NORWAY, not stupid Sweden..... :) can you tell i'm Norwegian and don't like Swedish meatballs? lol
But seriously, it's in Norway.

Regardless, I've spent quite a bit of time up north, and it gets cold. -40 is regular during winter months, you gonna need serious arctic camping gear and knowledge up there to survive during the winter.

Winter/Snow rated tyres by law, you get in lots of trouble showing up on something that is not.. the authorities perform regular checks, especially on foreign reg cars due to European truck drivers showing up with shite snow chains on summer tyres and black ice..

Hey, both Gamvik and Karasjok is in NORWAY, not stupid Sweden..... :) can you tell i'm Norwegian and don't like Swedish meatballs? lol
But seriously, it's in Norway.

Apologies on getting the country wrong. I remember crossing a number of borders in quick succession in that area. Just checking the map I see that Karasjok is quite near the border with Sweden but is in Norway.....whatever the country, the scenery was stunning and the Nordic people were friendly. We had a great time in the port of Honningsvag, just south of Nordkapp, enjoying some beer, nice food and good company (and warmth).

Great memories of that trip.....

I was going to say have a look at Amdro for their insulation they use in their conversions, but they've dropped it from their website... they used to use sheepswool as it had better performance in damp conditions.

Otherwise, just put a household moisture trap in with you; I had one in the back of my V70 in the UK as I often had wet kayaking gear in there, and that just helped that little bit.

We had a discussion earlier this year http://www.landcruiserclub.net/forums/showthread.php/53929-Cold-weather-camping on cold weather camping. In the end I took a Snugpak Antarctica RE which was rated to -50 and was genuinely one of the nicest sleeps i've ever had. Am taking it in the back of the LC in two weeks to Iceland, I have no doubt that I could sleep in a ditch in it and be fine.

Re the electric plugs, I had one in a Ford 460ci up in Canada, fitted inline to the radiator pipework. Like a mini kettle element, very basic. You'd leave it plugged in overnight, presumably the heat radiates through the coolant, around the block etc, even when off. The massive downside is the plug introduce a point of weakness in a pressurised system, mine blew out in the summer and put about 12L of poisonous vapour immediately into the atmosphere!

RE use of sheep skin you'd probably find that reindeer pelts are better....you can buy them with the skin side sealed with poly- something and can lay them direct on the snow if you wish. You can buy the pelts here or in Norway. Not cheap so probably not to line your truck with. I put metallised polyester 'sun-screen' sheets over the inner door panels....and sectioned off the front cabin from the back with a thermal blind....that way the heater was only heating the occupants and not the whole truck. It was a 110 so was a bit useless in any case.

I did a similar trip from Murmansk to Gamvik and down through Finland in winter (Nov/Dec) passing through the town of Karasjok, where it all went horribly wrong. Temperatures plunged to -35.6C and the engine just died. Everything turned to gloop, even the coolant was milkshake texture. Yellow Top Optimas couldn't crank, and all oils like syrup. Locals are most helpful - charged my batteries and yes all their cars are plugged into engine heaters. Only thing in liquid form was the Vodka. I was stuck for a few days. Though a combination of warming the engine with my camping stove (not recommended) and the temperature rising to -26C I was soon on my way.
I was camping in a roof tent. Make sure you have a properly graded sleeping bag and stuff your clothes down by your feet and wear a beanie. Do a few star jumps before getting into your sleeping bag, otherwise you will never warm up.
I was driving on Discoverer STT, most the time with 2 side tyres on fresh snow eeking out what grip I could find, otherwise its ice (check on tyres as I think its against the law not to drive with winter tyres).
Don't take the cold temperature lightly...your brain simply doesn't function and your hands don't work. So be prepared for the worst and enjoy the 'lights'

That sounds a hell of a trip.

I would be on rated winter tyres for sure. I use them in this country in winter, the grip and security they offer is very reassuring when things turn nasty. Sleep in the truck with a insulated matress and a serious sleeping bag and take serious winter clothing.

Back